What penalty should she get?

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
Listening to talk radio this morning, discussion was about the penalty this female should receive:
The aunt of a 2-year-old girl who was killed in a hit-and-run in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood was arrested Tuesday for allegedly leaving the child in the street unattended, police said.

Lorysha Gage, 25, of San Francisco was caring for Mi'Yana Gregory and her twin brother when the girl was struck by a car at 833 Mission St., a city-owned parking garage across from the Westfield San Francisco Centre, at 10:37 p.m. Friday.

Investigators said Gage had walked Mi'Yana out into the middle of the crosswalk - against the light - and left her there to return to the sidewalk to retrieve her twin brother Michael.

"The light was green for vehicle traffic the entire time," said police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza.

It was then that the girl was hit by a white mid-1990s four-door sedan heading east on Mission. The driver did not stop, and has still not been identified or arrested, police said.

Gage was booked into county jail on suspicion of felony child endangerment. The family said in a press conference that she had been spent the night watching movies with Mi'Yana and her brother at the mall.

Esparza said there's a chance that the driver may not have known he or she had hit anybody, but that there is bound to be some type of evidence.

Police are still searching for the driver of the vehicle that was described as possibly a Toyota, Honda or Lexus with mismatched dark bumpers and dark rims.

Since the collision, an impromptu memorial of stuffed animals, flowers, candles and notes has grown at the traffic signal outside the garage. Fliers urging the hit and run driver to surrender to police are also posted.

Anyone with information is asked to call the San Francisco Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Aunt-arrested-for-leaving-toddler-in-street-in-5699474.php
What's not said on the article is that the aunt was making a cell call to friend which is why she wasn't holding her nephew's hand and why the boy stopped on the sidewalk and didn't cross. This was on a Friday night on a very busy area in San Francisco.
The discussion on penalty range from 1 year up to life in prison. One judge stated that jailing the person wouldn't "teach" her anything. She will more than likely be ostracized by her family and has to live with the guilt of the death of her niece. The judge said it would be better for her to reach out to the community (mandatory) to tell her story and help other avoid bad results from lack of judgement.

What do you think?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Wow! Smh! All I have to say is that this person is clearly a moron.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    How could you not pay attention to a cute TWO year old, who doesn't know any better? UGH. People bug me so bad sometimes.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I really don't know what her penalty should be, but she's an idiot and should be spayed as soon as possible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    While I can clearly see she lapsed totally in judgement, I look back at myself when I was 25 making some assinine decisions that thankfully didn't go bad.
    I do believe that when it comes to children though, one's total focus should be on the children ESPECIALLY if they aren't yours. I'm still at odds at what should be done to her. I believe she should be punished even further, but like the judge, I don't think incarceration should be the punishment. I'm thinking more in the lines of a massive community service commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Listening to talk radio this morning, discussion was about the penalty this female should receive......

The discussion on penalty range from 1 year up to life in prison. One judge stated that jailing the person wouldn't "teach" her anything. She will more than likely be ostracized by her family and has to live with the guilt of the death of her niece. The judge said it would be better for her to reach out to the community (mandatory) to tell her story and help other avoid bad results from lack of judgement.

What do you think?

I think the judge is quite right. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do and yes, she shouldn't have been on the phone while on the street with two 2 year old children.

But like you say, 25 year olds make asinine decisions.
    And yes, a massive community service commitment would be suitable.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    I'm not sure, but massive community service sounds like it would teach her more then jail would. Like 1,000 hours reading to kids in hospitals just to rub salt in the wounds.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    She will indeed need to live with this pain for he remainder of her life. Also, her family may very well shun her but the judge is right. She will do no good in prison. Community service requiring her to speak about the dangers of using cell phones while doing other tasks. People die every day due to texting ot talking while walking and driving and site a lot of people speak out against it but this young woman and her family should speak to others and having been through this experience might work. Not just commercials with people holding up flashcards. Real voices, true stories, no sugar coating. My heart cries for all those involved and my blood boils for the *kitten* who didn't turn themselves in. Either drink or texting...probably both.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    How very sad.

I am a mother of two girls, age 3 and 5 and all I can say is that it only takes a second for your life to be changed forever. No one is perfect, we live busy lives, we multitask, and we make mistakes on a daily basis, some of us are just lucky enough to never have to deal with horrific consequences like this.

I am very careful with my children and I've had close calls. I can completely understand how a person who does not have children or does not take care of them in a daily basis is more prone to mistakes. I only let my children be cared by two other people and I showered them with reminders every day about the way I want things done but I would never blame them if something like this happened because it was a split second mistake, bad judgment but she did not intent to do harm. What good will put her in jail do? She is not a danger to society, if she cared enough for those children to spend time with them, I'm sure she is suffering enough.

Stories like this are just heartbreaking and there is no way to make it better.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    I supposed she's punished enough with the guilt she has to live with.
    Would you punish the mum of the child if it had been her to be in the situation instead of the aunt?

My neighbor, as a mum, lost her child because the boy ran on the street into a car with her standing next to him. You may be as careful as you wish and always have an eye on your child and accidents still happen.