anyone eating only vegetarian/vegan food

Options
I m from india and trying to lose A LOT OF weight. But most of the members here eat meat, fish, etc. Wondering if there are any indian vegetarian guys to help me and accompany me in my healthy eating journey..:smile:

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Being vegan/veggie won't cause you to lose weight faster.

Calories in vs. calories out.
  • stephieg820
    stephieg820 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think this person is saying they are eating vegetarian/vegan to try to lose weight faster. I think they are just saying they need to lose a lot of weight and they happen to be vegetarian.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I usually eat that way. I will indulge in meat/fish occasionally, but for the most part, I like to be meatless.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Being vegan/veggie won't cause you to lose weight faster.

Calories in vs. calories out.

OP is Indian - not eating meat is unrelated to their weight loss goals.

OP - the biggest challenge you'll face is getting enough protein (where "enough" means, enough to make you feel full). Carbs are fine, but they will likely make you feel hungry.

There are lots of resources on vegan/vegetarian protein options available on the googles. It'll be a lot easier if you have no food allergies and can eat soy and nuts.

But I'm sure *someone* here on MFP is Indian and can help more.
  • k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep! I usually say vegan because it is simpler, but really i'm more about whole plant based foods.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

OP - the biggest challenge you'll face is getting enough protein
    I'm sorry that's just a myth it's really not hard to get enough protein. People make some huge deal of getting protein as a Vegan/vegetarian and its no harder than anyone on an animal based diet. 30 years without meat and 15 of that as a Vegan and Protein is not a problem unless you make it one. Eat a balanced diet and you'll get enough protein no problem.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We eat a plant based diet in our house. I eat minimum dairy - greek yogurt - and I will indulge in lean meat occasionally, but really we are a vegan household. I only lose weight when I'm very careful about simple carbs and sugar though... but that might be me. I try to focus on raw fruits and veggies, cooked greens, beans and limited whole grains.
  • hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I am not a vegetarian now but have been for most of my life. I can help you with your questions on nutrition based on an indian diet. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome. I'm not vegetarian but I'm very familiar with vegetarian diets. I think you can still gain a lot of support from those of us who are not vegetarians. If it helps my mother and my grandmother are both vegetarians and if it wasn't for the fact that they both eat non vegan foods still such as cake ( with eggs and I'm pretty sure white sugar isn't vegan as well ) they probably could be vegan. They both live that lifestyle due to their religion.
  • hariharannarayanan
    hariharannarayanan Posts: 16 Member
    Options

OP - the biggest challenge you'll face is getting enough protein
    I'm sorry that's just a myth it's really not hard to get enough protein. People make some huge deal of getting protein as a Vegan/vegetarian and its no harder than anyone on an animal based diet. 30 years without meat and 15 of that as a Vegan and Protein is not a problem unless you make it one. Eat a balanced diet and you'll get enough protein no problem.

what you say is true for most cases where people want to lead a balanced and healthy life. I think it only starts to become a factor if you are heavily into strength training/ performance driven training where you amino acid profiles play a role. Still possible but requires a lot more know how and planning.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Protein thing is a myth. I've made mad gains on my vegetarian diet. You just have to balance what you eat, like any nonvegetarian should for their goals too.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Protein thing totally a myth. I get plenty of protein. Beans, whole grains, cheese, greek yogurt, tofu and soy products, seeds, nuts...they're all good!
  • ringaroundrosi
    Options
    Hi, my family is vegetarian. I mainly eat no meat (: When I do eat meat it when I go out to eat... Which is rare. lol You can add me!
  • VegnStrong
    VegnStrong Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, I am vegan too, have been for a few months now. Add me, would love to help out and could use more help myself.
  • kanikavishvesh
    kanikavishvesh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey jkwolly! I am a vegetarian by religion not as a means to lose weight. sometimes i do wish i ate some non-veg foods a well though :wink:
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    Hi Welcome. I'm not vegetarian but I'm very familiar with vegetarian diets. I think you can still gain a lot of support from those of us who are not vegetarians. If it helps my mother and my grandmother are both vegetarians and if it wasn't for the fact that they both eat non vegan foods still such as cake ( with eggs and I'm pretty sure white sugar isn't vegan as well ) they probably could be vegan. They both live that lifestyle due to their religion.

yup! sugar is vegan in our country! and i dont mind eggs if they are camouflaged. And i definitely need all the support i can get if i am to get anywhere near my goal :flowerforyou:

I needed to get in touch with guys who are vegan to get more support in my diet.
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    I m from india and trying to lose A LOT OF weight. But most of the members here eat meat, fish, etc. Wondering if there are any indian vegetarian guys to help me and accompany me in my healthy eating journey..:smile:

Just to clarify ... i am a vegetarian by religion and choice, not because i want to lose weight. I mentioned i am from India because lots of food here are different from other countries. So it'll help me learn a few new recipes from products available here. But guys i need all the help i can get. Thanks a lot for offering me the support.

meanwhile completely unrelated question : can i somehow pin this post so that i dont continuously need to search it out?
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are 2 groups here - Happy Herbivores & Team Vegan. Both are worth joining :smile:
  • kanikavishvesh
    Options
    thanks rhumax!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like op. I haveen vegetarian since I was 18--actually vegetarian--not "mostly" or "except when I go out to eat" ( like some posts I've seen). Best of luck.
  • tloreen
    tloreen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, but I eat fish once in a very great while. But I mostly eat plant based food for meals. My issue is sugar, if I could just stop eating sweets!