Anyone else get grumpy when dieting???

Options
I can't be the only one that gets pissy when she wants a coke or a sweet tea and can't have it due to dietary changes??? I crave something sweet and I can't have it because I'm making lifestyle changes... No more junk for me!!;) However I can't seem to find somerhing that curbs that craving in a healthy way and keeps me from getting crabby! Lol Suggestions????

Replies

• keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of white tea with two sugars, one first thing and one in the evening..
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Your body is used to getting a regular dose of sugar/caffeen, you cut it out, your basically going through a version of withdrawl, just gotta wait it out and stay firm in your decision, it gets easier with time and eventually your cravings go away (unless its TOM, I have yet to figure out how to kick those cravings). [Before I get yelled at, I am not saying sugar is evil or a drug or anything, just that when your body gets used to something it wants it, its normal]
    2. I don't have any suggestions for a healthier replacement. Usually you just have to experiment and see what you like. I drink vitamin water zero, diet gold peak tea, and diet dr. pepper when I want something other than plain water.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah, so, this is what I do:

I eat bread, I eat chocolate, I eat fries, I drink alcohol, I drink soda.

The key is not to eat a lot of it. Eat very healthy some meals, then have a couple bites of chocolate. Have your kid help you eat a serving of fries. Don't drink soda for a week, then have a coke. The indulgences taste better when they are indulgences, not your regular diet. As in, have chocolate every day, but not like an entire candy bar. That first bite of chocolate tastes better than the last bite, so save yourself the diminishing returns on your calorie investment. Same for fries and burgers, I noticed.

I eat whatever I like because I try to get at least one veggie packed, filling, tasty low-calorie meal per day. It makes a lot of room for other things.

That's what I do, and I really enjoy my "diet," so not cranky. Yay!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a little grumpy during the day while I am fasting, but it helps to know I can have anything I want for dinner, since I have fasted all day. But yes, I'm grumpy. :grumble:
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got really cranky in the beginning. I'm a bit more used to it now, I still have tons of diet pop. That's the one thing I refuse to give up and its what keeps me less cranky. But when I cut down on the fast food, carbs, and all that junk I was one of the worst people to be around. I had to cut almost all of it out at the beginning and slowly add it in because I am horrible at portion control. Much better now and I nothing it off limits. But yeah, you get used to it.
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Moderately grumpy is a state of being for me.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Only if I am restricting too much and not allowing myself things I should be able to have IF I fit it into my calories. But then again, I'm not dieting, so I do these things, i lose weight and don't get grumpy. After all, unless i plan to never eat chocolate for the rest of my life, chocolate can be on the menu. This is a lifestyle change not a temporary diet. You need to learn to eat in moderation for life, not just for the here and now. Maybe you should rethink your plan of denying yourself things you like?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It's likely the withdrawals from the sugar and other stuff in your diet. That stuff can literally be like a drug to your body. When I first started cutting that stuff out, I didn't even want to be around myself, lol. Honestly though, if you give it a couple of weeks, it will ease up. And by the end of the first month, not only should you feel a whole lot better, but, honestly, you won't even crave it anymore. That's because it will be out of your system. I actually took a small sip of my daughter's lemonade the other day, and it tasted so sugary I almost couldn't stand it. And I used to love that kind of lemonade. It's amazing how much your tastes can change in a short amount of time.

Also, make sure you are exercising. Even just going for a walk helps. I have never been one to like exercise, but I love going for my walks and find they relax me. This past week, I was really sick with a bad cold and wasn't able to take my walks almost all week. I noticed a big difference in my mood. After a couple days I was much more cranky and irritable...and it wasn't just from being sick. I was feeling a bit better by then, just not energized enough to go walking. Going for walks tremendously helps my mood and irritability if I am stressed about something.

Also, don't tell yourself you can't have something. That is just a recipe for disaster. Something that helps me if I am craving something sweet is to just have a small taste of something. That's usually all I need. For example, sometimes I will take about 1/2 tablespoon of natural (nothing added) peanut butter, and put about 2 to 3 dark chocolate chips on it right on the spoon. It's only about one or two bites, but it hits the spot without sabotaging anything for the day. :)
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Don't let your emotions get the best of you; you are stronger than that! No food has power over a human. Just see it as all the bad foods & beverages as knowing you want to kick them out and they're fighting to stay by making you cranky - the choice of how you react to the situation is up to you. You either want to have a :bigsmile: on your face or end up... :grumble: :angry: :explode:
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I also am grouchy when trying to go off the sugars. Don't really have a suggestion other than doing something else for yourself instead of the food or drink such as reading, going for a walk, crafting, playing a game, etc. Whatever can take your mind off of it until the mood passes.
  • PacificCrestTrail
    PacificCrestTrail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start feeling a little deprived, I eat something sweet like peaches or watermelon. Does the trick for me.
  • Rosewood2015
    Options
    The first few weeks I do -- change is stressful, and it takes our minds a wee bit longer to catch up with our bodies - or vice-a-versa. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's even a term for that - It's called being "hangry". And is also likely due to a sort of withdrawal.

I know when I first did Atkins, the first few days of induction (very very low carb), I was horribly irritable and sick. It does pass after a few days but trust me, if you slip it's like starting over. That's why Atkins or similar diets didn't work for me long term. As others have pointed out, it may be better for you, especially if this truly is a lifestyle change (and therefore a way of eating that you plan on doing forever), to try to incorporate the occassional treat. Everyone's different so you have to decide what works best for you, just food for thought (so to speak).

What about diet soda or even flavored carbonated water? Sometimes just the carbonation is enough to help me feel full for a while and the flavoring is sweet enough to trick me into thinking I'm having a treat. I don't have them every day, maybe once a week or two. Substitutes can be a big help when transitioning.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I tend to get cranky toward the end of the day and sometimes when I first get up. My husband doesn't come home for dinner until 8:00 sometimes. I usually try to have a light snack around 5, maybe nonfat yogurt and some fruit, but often, I am starving when he gets home. I have everything ready, and then he decides to spend 15 minutes in the bathroom reading the paper before we sit down, or he decides to open all the mail or start picking up clutter, etc., while I am starving; I feel like saying, "Do you want to read or clean the house, or eat?" Of course, he's been completely sedentary all day and sometimes has had lunch out, so he's not hungry the way I am because I've worked out, walked 2 miles on my campus, or if I'm home, I've been doing some general puttering -- housecleaning, groceries, etc. Also, I am starving first thing in the morning; we get up around 6:30 AM, and he wants a back rub sometimes plus the "happy ending", when all I want to do is have coffee and eat something. I guess I shouldn't complain about the morning time -- after 30 years, he's still interested.
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can tell by reading forum posts here no one gets grumpy from dieting.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one that gets pissy when she wants a coke or a sweet tea and can't have it due to dietary changes??? I crave something sweet and I can't have it because I'm making lifestyle changes... No more junk for me!!;) However I can't seem to find somerhing that curbs that craving in a healthy way and keeps me from getting crabby! Lol Suggestions????
    I'll second what others are saying: If you're wanting to truly make a LIFESTYLE change, kicking stuff you like to the curb for good isn't reasonable.

If you habitually drink regular Coke every day every meal, change it to a "half and half": 1/2 regular, 1/2 coke Zero. That will cut down on calories but be more sustainable. If you slowly increase the amount of zero vs. regular, you can eliminate some calories from your diet longterm and make "The Real Thing" an occasional treat.

I don't personally LIKE sweet tea so I don't have much to offer there.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't have to be dieting to get grumpy.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yes its quite normal especially if youre talking about reducing sugar containing foods...(I won't get started on my sugar rant :laugh: ) it mainly goes: sugar bad, artificial sweeteners worse. Try have some fruit to curb the craving or a little bit of honey.

My sister is unbelievably difficult when she's hungry, I bring a cereal bar with me if I'm meeting her out anywhere lol. She's this tiny little slip of a thing but if it goes even 10 mins past the time she normally eats at....smashy smashy and yes shes 32 lol:laugh:

giphy.gif
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I can tell by reading forum posts here no one gets grumpy from dieting.

LOL I notice this all the time too.

You naturally *will* get grumpy if you were relying on sugars and food to boost your mood before. Once you start eating less refined sugar your blood sugar will balance out and you'll have less ups and downs, but yeah you can use smaller portions or something healthier like a piece of fruit to boost your mood if you need to. :)
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Dieting is stressful and uncomfortable. I think generally any time we have a persistent nag of something uncomfortable it makes us grumpy. I occasionally get canker sores. They make me extremely irritable. It's the constant pain that does it.

Spending all day long hungry does it to many.