New to the site! My Journey to Emotional and Physical health

Options
dreamjo
dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
Though I am not new to dieting, I am new to this site. The past few years has been a rollercoaster of changes in my life and my body has suffered. In the past 5 years I have lost almost my entire immediate family to either long illness or sudden death. I lost my grandfather in 2005, I lost my brother-in-law and my dad who I was close to in 2006, and I lost two uncles, my grandmother, and my sister (who I was extremely close to) in late 2009. I also got married mid-2009 so my emotions were constantly up and down. I also went through all these gains and losses while I was in college. The sudden death of my only sister was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through and I believe that everyone else that had passed on came to the surface as well and I fell into depression. I had lost weight for my wedding but I gained all of it back and 20lbs extra. I think I partially comforted myself with food.

I am out of college and at a steady desk job so I don't get as much exercise. I am on the road to healing and am in therapy and a support group to handle my grief so I am doing SO much better in that department, but it is still hard to break the habit of going to food for comfort. So now my husband and I are on a plan to eat better, exercise more, and better ourselves in 2011. It is going to be a struggle, but since we have already been through so much.. I think we can make our goals.

I didn't mean this to be a long sob story, but I wanted to share my motivation for getting healthier to be here for my husband and my mom and my niece (my late sister's only child) and getting it out there helps.

I look forward to getting to know people here and help give/gain support while we all are on our own but similar journeys.

Replies

• Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also on a journey to emotional and physical health (in fact that's what I called my blog).
  • dreamjo
    Options
    Nice to meet you Wendi! Great minds think a like I guess! That's my profile tag as well :)
  • majikal6
    Options
    Welcome to the community and congratulations on the decision to work towards emotional and physical health and balance.

I wish you much fortune on your journey. :)

:flowerforyou:
  • bangarangbree
    Options
    You go girl. Keep hanging in there. You definitely came to the right place for support!
  • dreamjo
    Options
    Thanks guys! Good luck to you fabulous women too!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've been on here sine Jan 7th and I love it! feel free to add me. I have lost my dad to a massive heart attack, my paternal grandparents to cancer, and we have a lot of diabetics on my mom's. I want to be the trailblazer in my family. The one who everyone says now if her lazy self can, I know I can LOL.
This discussion has been closed.