Washing Dri-fit apparel after each use??

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
I just started wearing dri fit for the gym (what was I waiting for?!?) and I love it! Are you supposed to wash it after each work out? Honestly they dry perfectly and don't even really smell if I air dri it. Do you guys wash them after each work out or can u wear it a couple times before you even wash it? It's not like a cotton shirt that you wear once and becomes heavily soaked and stinky.

My main concern is I don't want to over wash them and then they will start to fade.

Replies

• yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually have shower right after I run, and I just bring it in with me and rinse it in the shower, then air dry. I only actually put it through the laundry once a week just because laundry is already being done anyway, but with the rinse i'm sure I could go 2 weeks without really washing it.

Without rinsing, it wreaks after the 2nd time I wear it (i sweat a LOT when I run though, like 2 or 3lbs worth over an hour).
  • mhlew
    Options
    THat is a great idea to just shower with it on for a couple mins then hang dry it over the curtain rod. Then I don't have to wash as much and worry about fading or logos cracking
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I wash my running stuff after every use... it DOES get sweaty...the point is to keep the sweat off your skin
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't actually wear it when i'm in the shower, just bring it in with me, then I can soak it and ring it out a couple of times.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I usually have shower right after I run, and I just bring it in with me and rinse it in the shower, then air dry. I only actually put it through the laundry once a week just because laundry is already being done anyway, but with the rinse i'm sure I could go 2 weeks without really washing it.

Without rinsing, it wreaks after the 2nd time I wear it (i sweat a LOT when I run though, like 2 or 3lbs worth over an hour).

What he said. I probably go two rounds - clean at the gym, then rinse and hang dry before wearing again for a run, maybe let shampoo and bodywash splash on it as I shower and rinse that out too. It starts to stretch or stiffen up over time, so after the 2nd, maybe 3rd wear it's gotta go through a proper wash and dry cycle.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I wash mine on a handwash setting after each run. Personally I wouldn't want to wear stinky smelly tops again. I use Nike compression tops as a base layer to run in and they get washed numerous times a week and I have no problems with them being washed as much
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can get a couple of wears out of my dri fit stuff.

Just make sure when you are washing it not to use fabric softener of any kind. I also prefer to hang my dri-fit stuff to dry, and not run it through the dryer.

90% of my gear is Under Armor.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yes I Wash mine after each time I wear it but I put it on gentle cycle with no fabric softener, just tide soap.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Walmart sells some for between 5-10 bucks. Target has them for maybe a little more. I'd say just plop down the cash for a weeks worth. Consider it a down payment on your commitment to a new lifestyle.

Good suggestion. I prefer the nike dri fit even though a little more pricey they fit me the best and am real happy with them. I have 4 so far but plan my whole gym wardrobe to be dri fit eventually. Agreed that if you look and feel good you have a better workout! Never wearing cotton shirts again.
  • badcemom
    badcemom Posts: 50
    Options
    I bought enough at WalMart and Target to last 5 days. I wear them only once and wash with Sport Wash in cold water. It seems to keep them in good shape. I'm hoping to size down again soon, anyhow. :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I own enough that I just wear them once a week to the gym and they get washed once a week in cold water. I always air dry them though, never in the dryer
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Okay, how about the flip side of the question...

My oldest son has a dry fit shirt he wore under his football pads and no matter what I wash it in, it still has a slight funky stench to it...

How do I get rid of the funk?
  • VarangianGuard
    VarangianGuard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wash my running stuff after every use... it DOES get sweaty...the point is to keep the sweat off your skin

This! Don't worry about fading or cracks. You are there to work-out. A "worn" shirt looks better anyway, like you have been there before and know what you are doing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I wash all sports clothes, dri-fit or not, after one use. I add white vinegar to the wash and air dry it all. My sports bras specifically say to only wash them after every third use but, no, that doesn't work for me.
    Okay, how about the flip side of the question...

My oldest son has a dry fit shirt he wore under his football pads and no matter what I wash it in, it still has a slight funky stench to it...

How do I get rid of the funk?

Try vinegar in the wash but you might just need to spring for a new shirt.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's just an article of clothing. It gets the same treatment as my underwear.
  • mhlew
    Options

This! Don't worry about fading or cracks. You are there to work-out. A "worn" shirt looks better anyway, like you have been there before and know what you are doing.

Lol disagreed. I've seen plenty of people in full on gym Adidas workout suits that don't have a clue what they are doing. I'm not worried about cracking for fading cause of looks, I legitimately want the shirt to last!
  • mhlew
    Options
    It's just an article of clothing. It gets the same treatment as my underwear.

Underwear gets soaked does not dry out and smells, dri fit gets completely dry within an hour and does not hold a stink. Not the same thing