Does horseback riding count?

Options
13»

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Anyone that doesn't think it is exercise obviously hasn't ever ridden seriously! English riding is definitely more strenuous. It's mostly effective for leg toning. My legs are the one area that I'm not trying to lose weight in. I ride English competitively and have 6 horses.

Lol, yes, its always the non riders who think you just sit there and do nothing!! Im drenched with sweat when Ive finished, and Im sore the next day!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The original post was from 2011. The new question is if posting burns more calories than sitting a trot.

Carry on! :tongue:
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a large dressage warmblood and my HRM says that when I sit even her working trot I burn more than rising the trot. It depends on the horse and what type of riding you do and how big the horses gaits are.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hahaha....that's a good one...never thought about counting calories on riding....but I wore my heart rate monitor for working in the hay....3:40h and 1518 calories burnt...walked 7.7 miles up and down the hills in the process...cancelled my training for the day.... =)
  • laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm also excited to see all the horseback riders! One of my main reasons for losing all this weight is to be lighter for my poor horses, who carry me around anyway. I'll have to wear a heart rate monitor one of these days. Tomorrow I'm going out for 4 hours, so I'm definitely going to burn some calories!