SOOO many people here looking for a perfect tummy...

many people on this board and others have been heavy, had kids or have had yo-yoing weights, yet one of their main concerns is having a flat stomach. i'm not sure how a flat stomach became such a sign of appeal and desirability, but if you've read the news, you may have noticed that many models - even thin ones - have their pics edited in photoshop to present the bodies we see and decide we want.

here's one example, and this woman isn't overweight
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/27/photoshop-fail-swimsuit-m_n_5715547.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

but there are many "scandalous" edits where very slender models' pics are edited to remove even more of their upper arms, tummies and thighs, and then so many of us try and emulate the look that even those models - many of whom are already underweight - don't have in real life at all... and the diet and fitness industries make billions trying to convince us that we can look like these fictional creatures.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    My tummy is never going to be perfect without major surgery and even then I have my doubts. But it's a lot smaller than it was even ten pounds ago. Of course it's much smaller than it was at my highest weight (245). I can't wait to see what it's like a year from now when I've replaced ten or so more pounds of fat with ten or so pounds of solid muscle (such is my goal at least). Nothing wrong with chasing a perfection dream, the only problem is when we decide almost isn't good enough when it's the best we can actually do. I'll settle for almost.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I could be wrong, but it don't think most people here (or anywhere) are trying to look like models. I know I'm not.

I want to see a flatter tummy in the mirror. And I want to tuck things in and not bulge.

That's more the media that says everyone wants to look like the models. I don't think it's actually true.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    No one is trying to convince anyone of anything. This whole evil Diet Industry stuff just makes very little sense to me.

Flat stomachs, defined stomachs, neither of these are impossible. For many, these are normal.

Yes, high fashion models, for instance, eat less than the average person, but it's their job to look a certain way. They also exercise, which is great for their health. I think it's really insulting to say that because someone is a model, they have no life. I have a cousin who models (Fashion Week in NYC, for one), and believe me, she has a life! And a defined stomach. And she eats. She's not starving. The only difference is that she's not overeating, which has become the unfortunate norm.

Just because something is difficult to achieve for some doesn't make it impossible or existing only in the realm of fantasy.
  • Chaotic_Weevil
    Chaotic_Weevil Posts: 199 Member
    I was actually here looking for nuclear weapons and my shoes. Oops.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    +1
    I had no idea that i didnt have a life.

This sounds like more skinny shaming, under the guise of a PSA. I have a life, im not underweight, yet i have a flat tummy. Its called dedication, and its something that anybody can do. Oh, and I have 3 kids and permanent SI joint dysfunction.
    No one is trying to convince anyone of anything. This whole evil Diet Industry stuff just makes very little sense to me.

Flat stomachs, defined stomachs, neither of these are impossible. For many, these are normal.

Yes, high fashion models, for instance, eat less than the average person, but it's their job to look a certain way. They also exercise, which is great for their health. I think it's really insulting to say that because someone is a model, they have no life. I have a cousin who models (Fashion Week in NYC, for one), and believe me, she has a life! And a defined stomach. And she eats. She's not starving. The only difference is that she's not overeating, which has become the unfortunate norm.

Just because something is difficult to achieve for some doesn't make it impossible or existing only in the realm of fantasy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Yes, high fashion models, for instance, eat less than the average person, but it's their job to look a certain way. They also exercise, which is great for their health. I think it's really insulting to say that because someone is a model, they have no life.

Agreed. Where exactly did you read this?
  • astroophys

Yes, high fashion models, for instance, eat less than the average person, but it's their job to look a certain way. They also exercise, which is great for their health. I think it's really insulting to say that because someone is a model, they have no life.

I just realized I misread the a part of the post. OP is referring to models not having a certain kind of stomach in real life. My bad. It's too late for me to edit my post. So, my bad, I misread.

I stand by all other things said, though.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    It isn't something *anybody* can do, no. There are various pelvic problems that cause water retention in the abdominal area, and it bloats out. You can be muscular, work out, low body fat, and yet if you have one of these conditions you're stuck with the potbelly. It is what it is.... if you can get yours flat, good and fine, but those of us with certain ailments will not be able to achieve that. Doesn't mean we lack exercise or eat wrong. I don't have to be perfect in any case. To be human is to be imperfect. I say do the best you can with what you have and that will have to be enough.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Truth telling:

1. flat stomachs are not fictional
    2. some people work hard to achieve a flat stomach
    3. not everyone will achieve a flat stomach, even if they try hard
    4. anyone will find butthurt if they look hard enough for it
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

I just realized I misread the a part of the post. OP is referring to models not having a certain kind of stomach in real life. My bad. It's too late for me to edit my post. So, my bad, I misread.

:smile:

I also agree with the poster that said the effect of the media on our goals may be somewhat exaggerated. Many of us just want(ed) to feel comfortable in our own skin, and could very well be satisfied long before we ever reached any kind of Demi-goddess super model figure. Sometimes just the improvements can be quite motivating and satisfying.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    The internet is serious business. ;) OK no more memes. Put down the wine, you say? lol. Anyway.... we don't call it photoChop for nothing. Pictures in the media and advertising have to be taken with a grain of salt unfortunately. I wish it were not so. But yeah, the person above is right. I figure if you can get a flat belly then rock on, if you can't then *also* rock on. Most people can achieve a smaller belly, flat or not. I will never get flat, that's okay. But really look at all life has to offer, u can be fabulous regardless. U know what they say: don't let the turkeys get u down! XD
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Truth telling:

For realz... :drinker:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Truth telling:

^QFT
  • When I graduated high school I was 105 lbs or so at 5'10". Even being this thin, I had a little roundish belly. Not a pot belly but a definite curve outward. You could see my abdominal muscles and below that, the belly. I liked it.

(No, I didn't have an eating disorder or other medical problem. Ate lots. Was active. Was healthy. This was normal for me at the time.)
  • astroophys

:smile:

I also agree with the poster that said the effect of the media on our goals may be somewhat exaggerated. Many of us just want(ed) to feel comfortable in our own skin, and could very well be satisfied long before we ever reached any kind of Demi-goddess super model figure. Sometimes just the improvements can be quite motivating and satisfying.

I agree that a flat stomach isn't a requirement for health (but excessive fat around the stomach is a serious health risk!) nor is looking like a model. I think my cousin is gorgeous, but I have no interest in looking like her. I just don't want to feed the idea that it's not attainable or that thin people are an anomaly, because they're not.

I'm not a model. I want to look and feel like my best self. In fact, one of my main reasons for choosing to fix my lifestyle and lose the weight is because I am an organ donor. If I'm fat and unhealthy, many of my organs will be too unhealthy to help others. In order to donate blood, my cholesterol needs to be in check.

I think all weight loss/weight gain goals are great, as long as they are genuinely bringing the person closer to health. We all have different body types, body types that can look different but still are not meant to have too little or too much fat. We also all have different limitations and gifts. But, I think sometimes there are limitations that are simply self-imposed then rationalized. <---I am certainly not saying that all limitations are self-imposed then rationalized, just sometimes it happens.

Regarding the influence of the media (which I really don't think is that strong), I think that the prevalence of obesity actually may have an even larger effect, creating a sense of false comfort and unhealthy satisfaction in remaining overweight (and thus at risk for certain health problems and possible future weight gain). I am not suggesting that you or anyone else here is choosing to be satisfied with an unhealthy weight or anything like that. These are just things that I think about when people tell me I'm already skinny when my BMI is still in the unhealthy range, when my body fat percentage is still very high, etc simply because I am no longer a pound away from being class 2 obese (Edit to clarify: Class 2 obese is the cdc's Class 1 obesity, but many other countries call that stage class 2 and it feels closer to reality for me) . Even then, when I was another nutella croissant away from Class 2 obesity, I had people telling me that I looked fine and didn't need to lose weight. I just worry that our collective perception regarding true health has become terribly skewed.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Blame it on Twiggy
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    many people on this board and others have been heavy, had kids or have had yo-yoing weights, yet one of their main concerns is having a flat stomach. i'm not sure how a flat stomach became such a sign of appeal and desirability, but if you've read the news, you may have noticed that many models - even thin ones - have their pics edited in photoshop to present the bodies we see and decide we want.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/27/photoshop-fail-swimsuit-m_n_5715547.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

but there are many "scandalous" edits where very slender models' pics are edited to remove even more of their upper arms, tummies and thighs, and then so many of us try and emulate the look that even those models - many of whom are already underweight - don't have in real life at all... and the diet and fitness industries make billions trying to convince us that we can look like these fictional creatures.

A flat stomach may be attainable, but what is seen in these pictures is not. Like she said, it's photoshopped! It's really ridiculous that advertisers and magazines feel they have to do this to already thin, healthy models. It makes me question what exactly their motivation is, and how desensitized we are to it that most people aren't even surprised by it. I don't read magazines or look at pictures of models usually, but I still think it's a crappy thing for the industry to do.
  • astroophys

A flat stomach may be attainable, but what is seen in these pictures is not. Like she said, it's photoshopped! It's really ridiculous that advertisers and magazines feel they have to do this to already thin, healthy models. It makes me question what exactly their motivation is, and how desensitized we are to it that most people aren't even surprised by it. I don't read magazines or look at pictures of models usually, but I still think it's a crappy thing for the industry to do.

I get that. I don't know what their motivation is.

But, even food in commercials and ads aren't real.

They're just photographs, and yes, photographers and editors want their images to look a certain way. But, photoshopped images don't have to hurt our self-esteem, they really don't. We don't have to compare ourselves to photos that we know aren't real. These images don't have any power. It's difficult when you're younger, as in a preteen or a young teenager; but once you're an adult, it's up to you.

I don't wear make-up because I believe it creates a false idea of what I actually look like (personal choice). But, many wonderful, intelligent, awesome women won't leave the house without make-up on, and there's nothing wrong with that. And I don't compare myself to them because why would I? They've got make-up on, and I don't. And it doesn't make their make-up bad or a problem or anything like that.