Spinach Vs Kale

Options
I love both, I usually eat more spinach than any other green. However I do love kale as well. I was wondering which is more benefical for healthier eating? Seems like kale is all the rage now a days, but what happened to spinach? anyone else notice this?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    poor spinach is getting its feelings hurt
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, both are really good and have different nutrients. Popeye didn't eat Kale though! :) Then again, spinach doesn't have a chip version that is oh so yummy!

Both are good and both are delicious. :drinker:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, both are really good and have different nutrients. Popeye didn't eat Kale though! :) Then again, spinach doesn't have a chip version that is oh so yummy!

Both are good and both are delicious. :drinker:

I'm a rampent Kale hater- so no go for me on the "both are good and delicious"

but I don't mind spinach. I'll eat that in a variety of ways- but it's pretty low on my list- mostly because it goes bad before i can finish it. But I don't pick it out of the salads- if someone served me kale w/o telling me I'd send it back or just not eat it.

Sh(t is nasty.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I love spinach and detest kale. They are both so nutritious that in the grand scheme of things, if you're eating either of them you are light years ahead of the general population.

And Popeye is Awesome :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Popeye's forearms? Yeah, I'm gonna go with spinach. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Popeye's forearms? Yeah, I'm gonna go with spinach. :wink:

TOUCHE'!!!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I tried kale once... thought it was nasty, then to top it off, it gave me horrible heart burn. :s

I love spinach though, sauteed with olive oil, by itself, in omelets, or as a side to my dinner. It's yummy.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Both are awesome.
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i have them together often with brocolli too.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 pounds of spinach a week. It's actually ridiculous.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Spinach tastes good. Kale is nasty. Oh, and as for Kale chips, Nori is much better tasting.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Kale is significantly cheaper but the taste is horrific. I have to blend it in a fruit smoothie. Both are a good source for some micronutrients. If there's a micronutrient that you're trying to hit, then eat which ever one has said nutrient (potassium, iron, fiber, etc).
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I like both but spinach more than Kale. Kale does keep much better though. Spinach I like both raw and cooked but Kale I will only eat well cooked. I was not raised to eat either. Part of getting healthy for me is discovering lots of foods I was never introduced to growing up. Better late than never.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer kale. Even have four plants in my garden this year. O_0 I pair it with all kinds of stuff. Tomorrow I'm trying sweet potato, lentil, kale pockets.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating steamed kale with bacon, liked it even as a kid. I'll sit and eat a gigantic bowl full anytime I make that. I can't handle it raw, prefer spinach for my salads. My kids love it when I make nori chips, they weren't that crazy about kale chips. And nori chips keep longer, as least they did for me unless I did something wrong with my kale chips.
  • seamandi
    seamandi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat both equally. They have different important nutrients, so you're doing nothing but good by eating them both. All dark green veggies are very nutrient dense, low calorie foods. I honestly go with whatever is cheapest are the grocery store-right now kale is 99cents for a bunch at Kroger so I'm obviously getting more kale than $1.99 spinach. If you're eating a lot of either, you're doing good!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat spinach every day cooked into my egg sandwich. I also love spinach in pasta dishes or raw. I don't like creamed spinach for some reason though.

Just started eating kale this year and I like it. As others have said, it keeps longer than spinach, so there's that. And it's not bad in my egg sandwich as a spinach substitute. It's good in stir fries. Not sure I would eat just kale - whereas I would eat just spinach.

I have just started both, kale and spinach in my garden for the cool season. Can't wait to be able to just walk outside and pick it from my yard instead of paying a fortune for either at the store.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I love both and usually just alternate. I always have one of them in the fridge.
  • squiggysmama
    Options
    Per 100 calories:
    Spinach (3 cups) has: 12.2g proten, 17.36g fiber, 462mg calcium, 8.5 mg iron, 242mg magnesium, 1.8 mg zinc, 5.8 mcg selenium, 100 mg vitamin C, 4.0 mg vitamin E, 32,324 IU vitamin A

Kale (12.6 oz) has: 7 g protein, 257 mg calcium, 3.2 mg iron, 64 mg magnesium, 814 mg potassium, 7.1 g fiber, 46 mcg folate, .25 mg riboflavin, 1.8 mg niacin, .9 mg zinc, 146 mg vitamin C, 48,641 IU Vitamin A, 29,186 mcg Beta-carotene, 3.0 mg Vitamin E,

So, both are good. Kale supplies a greater variety of micronutrients, though. I don't think you'd go wrong eating either.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I prefer spinach because it has a milder taste than kale, so it blends into my smoothies better. Kale is a little too bitter. I don't like to taste the greens I put in my smoothies at all. And I can put 3 cups of spinach in a fruit smoothie and not be able to taste it at all. It's great.