mother in law says walking does not burn calories

Options
So this weekend I went to the in laws, and my mother in law said that her representative that is helping them lose weight with a program called Ideal Protein said that walking barely burns any calories! She has to be wrong right? I walk on my Treadclimber and for the amount that I sweat I have to burning some major calories!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    She obviously misunderstood. Even walking at a leisurely pace for 30 minutes, you could burn 150 calories. Walking briskly, you could burn closer to 250 calories. Obviously jogging or running burns more because your heart rate is much more elevated and your body is working harder, but walking burns calories.
  • Elise1395
    Elise1395 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah, she's definitely wrong...
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    First of all anything you do from breathing to walking burns calories and most fitness professionals say walking is one of the best exercises to do.
  • amycrims
    Options
    breathing burns calories. so walking yes, absolutely burns calories.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    walking is good, and does burn calories, but you have to do it long enough to get your heart rate up (aerobic)... It's also good if you're just starting out. Sure, there are lots of ways to burn calories, but you have to work into them and walking will get you on that path!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    walking and running the same distance burns a similar amount of calories, just takes twice as long! Walking is a great way to say "F it, I need to burn these calories but I don't feel like being exhausted!"
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    She's wrong. Just keep on walking and let her think whatever she wants................
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    If that was the case, I wouldn't have lost 50 pounds. Majority of my exercise & weight loss came from walking. :smile:
  • ZHawk1123
    ZHawk1123 Posts: 215
    Options
    Your mother in law is wrong.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    TaKe a look at m weightless ticker and tell me walking doesn't help you lose weight! Heck for that matter do a google on walking and see what it says! For the first three months of my journey walking is ALL that I did. I still walk now I just have the stamina to do other things too.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    everything you do burns calories in one way or another. walking gets your heart going which will burn calories...
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Yes, it burns cals, and if done for 20 mins or more~ burns FAT!:noway:
    I've been doing the walk away the pounds dvds since I started and well, just check out the ticker!:wink:
  • akaufm02
    Options
    OMG! She couldn't be more wrong! I walk on the treadmill at 4 mph every day and burn a lot of calories! At one point I had lost 40 pounds! I am actually up to the point where I am walking and running on it now. Don't let anyone discourage u keep doing what u r doing and prove them wrong!!! U will have the last laugh!!! :o)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Tell your mother in law that she has been misinformed a great deal. Walking does indeed burn calories. For my 30 minute brisk walks (DVDs by Leslie Sansone) I burn 425 calories. Of course, I am heavier than 150 pounds which is what all those formulas are made for. I have been doing this for months now and I feel stronger than ever. My legs feel muscular and I have more energy. Walking gets the heart rate up, especially brisk walking. It's like stoking a fire. The heart has to work harder to get oxygen to all parts of the body. That takes fuel. Fuel=calories. You keep up that walking my dear!!

Btw, I am among those that attribute their weight loss to MFP and walking!! Walking is the only exercise I do besides stretching at this point in my journey.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, the other night I walked for 1/2 an hour at a brisk pace and let me say, the next day I was so sore I couldn't believe it was just from walking! I felt like I had been run over by a mack truck so definately wrong! A lot of very over weight people can only start out with walking, gee, I wonder how they have lost weight. Mother-in-laws!? Pleaseeeeeeeeee They think they know everything.....LOL I know mne does!
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
    Please don't listen to her...it does, wear a HRM and prove to yourself that it does.

Keep Up The Good Work!! You Are Doing Fab!! :happy:
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Perhaps her trainer was talking about walking around the house, doing activities of daily living. I do bone density testing and when we ask patients about exercise, many of the older patients count what they do everyday as exercise. They don't understand that you have to do above the normal for it to benefit you.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Yea, um, that's how I started off with losin my weight was from walkin.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the MIL is getting taken for a ride. The person helping them is SELLING them something. If this "Ideal Protein" stuff actually works and they lose weight, that rep no longer has an income from them. If it were my MIL I would be Googling the heck out of that product. Could be made in cousin Mel's garage for all they know.
  • littlelioness
    Options
    Typing this burned calories :D Umm yeah walking burns calories! I lost a lot of weight just from walking because I had no car!