Please help a frustrated weightlifting beginner

Options
Okay, so I'm not a complete weightlifting beginner, but I've always just kind of done it once in a while to mix up the workout, and in the past I have seen some minor gains but nothing major (my schedule doesn't allow for a steady workout schedule, so I tend to go more cardio whenever I can rather than a weightlifting schedule). However, after losing around 70 pounds this year, I decided I want to start doing less cardio and more weightlifting to try to build more muscle. However, it's not going so well, and it's frustrating me very much.

For example, tonight I went to the gym to do biceps and back -- arm curls, lat pulls, and whatever the rowing-style-pull machine is called. The problem is not that I'm unable to do as much weight as I think I should be able to (although that's frustrating, too, but that just takes work), but rather that I barely break a sweat while doing these exercises but I can barely get through 6 or 7 reps before I can't do anymore. Then 30 seconds later, I feel great again and ready to go -- but I can only do another 6 or 7 reps. I sweat a little while I'm actually lifting, but as soon as I put the weight down, it's like I did nothing at all. I actually find it hard to wait between sets because I'm ready to get back at it. But then I can't even finish the next set.

So I plod my way through 5 sets of 10 reps, with the last 3 or 4 reps of each set usually with terrible form, and I do my last set to exhaustion. I leave the gym barely sweating, and five minutes into the drive home, I'm bone-dry and you wouldn't even know I went to the gym. It's so bad that I almost feel guilty drinking my protein drink afterwards. Now, normally, I would say that I just need to increase the weight and/or reps. But like I said, I can't even get through a set with good form, and by the end I can't lift another pound. I go to exhaustion and physically can't do any more. I've thought about adding more exercises, but like I said, by the time I'm done, I'm unable to lift anymore. I just am not sweating or breathing or struggling the way I feel. My arms (or whatever body part I'm working that day) feel tired for the remainder of the night, but I'm not usually very sore the next day. Doing cardio for the same amount of time leaves me drenched in sweat.

So what am I doing wrong? I could handle it if I was struggling to get through the routine but was leaving the gym drenched in sweat. I just feel that I'm working much harder with weights than cardio but somehow at the same time I'm not working nearly as hard with weights as with cardio.

I feel that I should also mention that I'm still trying to lose the last 10-20 stubborn pounds, so I am only taking in about 1,500 calories a day (I'm a 185-190 pound 30 year old man). Is it possible that I'm just not giving myself enough fuel for a proper weightlifting workout? If I have to choose, I'd rather continue to lose the weight than build the muscle right now. So should I discontinue the weights and keep going on the cardio for now? Or should I at least skip the post-workout protein drink and save myself the extra calories if I'm not lifting enough to get a benefit from it?

Just getting frustrated. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but I'm definitely not weak. I just feel like I should be doing more and sweating more before I reach the point of not being able to lift another weight.

Replies

• janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    In - out of interest to see what advice you get from this! I lift, but also do not feel it is going well at the moment...... Sorry can't help you:blushing:
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    1) It sounds like you are winging it with your routine? Id suggest you find a beginners program. MFP loves "Starting Strength" or "Stronglifts", but you can find other programs at bodybuilding.com

2) The sweating aspect doesn't matter, don't feel bad about it.

3) You will eventually be able to increase both the weight you are able to lift and your muscle stamina so that you can get through more reps - just be patient. Learn to lift with good form from now. For some programs, you may even need to drop the current weight you are using so you can get to 10 reps...but that's temporary - all good programs will expect you to progress

4) You should keep lifting and you should continue to do cardio. These activities should improve your health, your look and your calorie deficit. The lifting should help limit your weight loss to fat as much as possible (rather than losing muscle and fat).

5) If you don't feel adequately fueled for your workout, maybe try adding some thing pre-workout - a cup of coffee, a banana, a protein shake or a small meal if you need it.

6) You can google a TDEE calculator to see if you are eating around the right amount. They give estimates you can use as a starting point for your calorie intake.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Its fine if you start with low weights, your muscles arent used to working out much.
    Just keep track of what you do in an excel sheet with the no of reps and weights used to track your progress. Usually what I do is increase the weight at the last set or two sets if I feel I can do it.. In time youll see progress

Also 1500 calories sound a bit low.. Whats your height? And do you have any idea how much your BF is?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat much either. I find myself shaking on my last couple of sets for some things, but I'm not sweaty at the end of it, just a bit red faced. When I run or swim though, I sweat a lot more as well.

Look at the TDEE thing - I might be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you eat very much. I'm a woman, I weigh around 150lb, work out 5 times a week, 3 of them lifting and I try to eat anywhere between 2000-2300 cals a day and I'm losing weight ok.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not a complete weightlifting beginner, but I've always just kind of done it once in a while to mix up the workout, and in the past I have seen some minor gains but nothing major (my schedule doesn't allow for a steady workout schedule, so I tend to go more cardio whenever I can rather than a weightlifting schedule). However, after losing around 70 pounds this year, I decided I want to start doing less cardio and more weightlifting to try to build more muscle. However, it's not going so well, and it's frustrating me very much.

For example, tonight I went to the gym to do biceps and back -- arm curls, lat pulls, and whatever the rowing-style-pull machine is called. The problem is not that I'm unable to do as much weight as I think I should be able to (although that's frustrating, too, but that just takes work), but rather that I barely break a sweat while doing these exercises but I can barely get through 6 or 7 reps before I can't do anymore. Then 30 seconds later, I feel great again and ready to go -- but I can only do another 6 or 7 reps. I sweat a little while I'm actually lifting, but as soon as I put the weight down, it's like I did nothing at all. I actually find it hard to wait between sets because I'm ready to get back at it. But then I can't even finish the next set.

So I plod my way through 5 sets of 10 reps, with the last 3 or 4 reps of each set usually with terrible form, and I do my last set to exhaustion. I leave the gym barely sweating, and five minutes into the drive home, I'm bone-dry and you wouldn't even know I went to the gym. It's so bad that I almost feel guilty drinking my protein drink afterwards. Now, normally, I would say that I just need to increase the weight and/or reps. But like I said, I can't even get through a set with good form, and by the end I can't lift another pound. I go to exhaustion and physically can't do any more. I've thought about adding more exercises, but like I said, by the time I'm done, I'm unable to lift anymore. I just am not sweating or breathing or struggling the way I feel. My arms (or whatever body part I'm working that day) feel tired for the remainder of the night, but I'm not usually very sore the next day. Doing cardio for the same amount of time leaves me drenched in sweat.

So what am I doing wrong? I could handle it if I was struggling to get through the routine but was leaving the gym drenched in sweat. I just feel that I'm working much harder with weights than cardio but somehow at the same time I'm not working nearly as hard with weights as with cardio.

I feel that I should also mention that I'm still trying to lose the last 10-20 stubborn pounds, so I am only taking in about 1,500 calories a day (I'm a 185-190 pound 30 year old man). Is it possible that I'm just not giving myself enough fuel for a proper weightlifting workout? If I have to choose, I'd rather continue to lose the weight than build the muscle right now. So should I discontinue the weights and keep going on the cardio for now? Or should I at least skip the post-workout protein drink and save myself the extra calories if I'm not lifting enough to get a benefit from it?

Just getting frustrated. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but I'm definitely not weak. I just feel like I should be doing more and sweating more before I reach the point of not being able to lift another weight.

I only really sweat with cardio as well. i also seemed to run out of steam quite quickly with reps and didn't feel like i was working hard enough or progressing quicker, without knowing your routine it is hard to give any advice but i mix up my routine

i do push/pull monday and tuesday using 3x10(i do 1 minute rest between each set which makes a big difference from 30 seconds) and also do cardio in between exercises, the bigger rest you give your muscles the better the next set is

make sure the order of your sets is correct, pull ups lats etc before biceps etc...

On thursday and friday i do push/pull again but a form of drop seats, i pick a weight where i can do only 8 reps this will be a much higher weight than your 3x10, then take about 10-15 sec break and continue with lower weight and do as many as possible then lower again etc... each set should be to almost failure, once you hit 10 reps the weight is now too low, add weight once more and finish

this for me has helped by getting me used to lifting a heavier weight but also improved my stamina through more reps

i sounds complicated but is very easy especially on machine, my fly's for instance look like this

107 kg x 8
    97 kg x 6
    87 kg x 7
    77 kg x 8
    67kg x 10
    77kg x 6

then finish, once i hit 8 reps on the first set i up the weight, as long as you push yourself every set and try stay within the 6-10 rep range it works well, if you hit more than 10 reps or less than 6 reps adjust the weight, the first set is the most important and weight should be adjusted to reflect the reps, just pushing out easy reps and reducing weight isn't beneficial, overload every set is key