Elliptical - Hands or No Hands?

Options
Hi everyone,

My favorite cardio workout is the elliptical, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference in the workout (i.e. calories burned) if you have your hands on the moving arms or not? I assume using my hands may tone my arms slightly, but do you think there is any difference in calorie expenditure either way?

Replies

• kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel I'm using more of my leg muscles when I don't use the handles. Although I'm still pumping my arms:)
  • jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    My Favorite too. I am not sure if there is a difference besides with out my hands i feel like i am going to fall down. I will have to check it out the next time i work out.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    The elliptical I use makes me put my hands on the bars because it can't detect my heartrate unless they are. So, I guess I'm saying I probably shouldn't be answering this question because I've only done it with my hands on the bars. Sorry - no help at all from me. :blushing:
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Look ma! No hands!! hahahaha jk. :)

Yes... the fact that your muscles lengthen and shorten while u use the hands part would make you burn a little bit more calories. Also, some elliptical trainers have a personal trainer mode where they tell you to "pull" or "push" with your hands because it works diff parts of your arm. :)
  • jadee76
    jadee76 Posts: 29
    Options
    A trainer told a friend that you're not supposed to look as if your dancing on it. I guess you're supposed to hold your core steady. I tried it and my heart rate goes up. As far as hands, I guess you would need them to hold steady. Otherwise, you'll be going all over the place.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Its my fav to,I don't really use the bars but it may burn alittle extra I can't imagine much though
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    HANDS! My last gym only had no-hands ellipticals and I definitely had a greater calorie burn (because I had to work harder to keep it going, versus "pushing" it with my arms") but it was more of a work out for my thighs... and right now I'm working my thighs too hard on my strength days that I wouldn't be able to last even 30 minutes on cardio days on the elliptical so I like the hands-included ellipticals now! :bigsmile:
  • soccermom03
    Options
    I printed some workouts to go with my elliptical. All of them have sections that say "no hands" and I feel it more in my legs during that time. They also have a section that says "backwards" this is with hands but "pedaling" backwards. I definitely feel it in my thigh more and I have always been told that backwards does burn more calories. Its fun, try it.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calorie burn - but I feel like I get a far better workout when I don't use my hands. My core is strong enough now that I can keep my balance without ever needing to hold on - so I go with it! I guess to really know you would have to use a heart rate monitor to see the difference in calorie burn. Or you could do two sessions - one with your hands on, and one without, maybe for 15 minutes each if you normally do 30, so you can see if there is a difference!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I go No Hands. I feel like it works my legs better and possibly my core too because I need to use it for balance.

When I do premade programs on the ellipticals at the Y, they force me to use the bars so they can get my heart rate.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me no hands, because then the legs (largest muscle group = more calorie expenditure) must do the work. Your hands help distribute the weight and work off the legs. Also, VERY important is to make sure that your weight is centered over the middle over your body - not being shifted and bounced from the right to left side and back. The weight stays centered and knees are slightly bent and bottom is out (think squat position but not down in a full squat).

No one at the gym uses this correct form, but if try it you'll discover that the elliptical is about 10,000 time more challenging then previously experienced - at least I did. I didn't think much of the elliptical before but now it whips my _ _ _ (fill in the blank!! LOL..:laugh:
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't have that option but I do find myself dancing to MJ when he pops up on 80s pop on Pandora :0)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A trainer told a friend that you're not supposed to look as if your dancing on it. I guess you're supposed to hold your core steady. I tried it and my heart rate goes up. As far as hands, I guess you would need them to hold steady. Otherwise, you'll be going all over the place.

Really? But the dancing makes it more fun.
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I will try no hands next time so I can work out my core. It seems like switching it up between hands and no hands will give some variety to my workout. :)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calorie burn - but I feel like I get a far better workout when I don't use my hands. My core is strong enough now that I can keep my balance without ever needing to hold on - so I go with it! I guess to really know you would have to use a heart rate monitor to see the difference in calorie burn. Or you could do two sessions - one with your hands on, and one without, maybe for 15 minutes each if you normally do 30, so you can see if there is a difference!

Totally agree. I'm a no hands girl. It's a great core workout. It takes core to balance yourself on the elliptical. I know if the machine starts to wobble a little, it stops if I tighten my core (it's become a little game to see how still I can make the machine). I also do overhead arm stretches while on the elliptical. I like to switch things up, otherwise I get bored:)
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    I nearly fall off it I don't use my hands. ha!
    The one I use has the moving handle bars and ones that don't move. I switch between the two, mainly because I end up leaning on the non-moving ones. The elliptical kicks my butt! I'm hoping that soon I can kick it's haha!