Anyone else on a high-carb, low-protein diet?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Only 10-20% of your diet needs to be protein. Anything more is just excess. Read about the 80/10/10 diet. It's an even more extreme version of my diet and people thrive on it. It's been proven that too much protein in your system actually leaches calcium from the bones.

Go do research! I didn't decide on high-carb for kicks. I read books! Read The China Study, The 80/10/10 Diet, Diet for a New America. Google it! There are lots of sites to explain why high-complex-carb diets are good. :D

Dietary needs are not based on a percentage but on actual weight consumed. 10% of 1200cals and 10% of 3000cals is obviously different.

If you are cutting your protein needs are going to be higher than that. 80/10/10 is ok if you are consuming 3500 cals.

As to research. Yep, done it. Please read this to understand that your idea of protein leaching calcium is incorrect in general populations.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Unless they have you running inside a perpetual squirrel cage....no, you haven't.

Yes I have, the diet is very low calorie for the first week. 600 calories of protein, no carbs are allowed the first 3 days. Once I reached Ketosis on day 4, I started working my calories back up to 1,250 per day. I receive Methionene and a B vitamin complex injection weekly, as well as appetite suppressants, fat burner supplements, chromium, calcium pyruvate, and a multivitamin. This is my first week - I am weighed and measured every Friday. They also take my vitals and I had to have an EKG and comprehensive blood panel before I started. It's not cheap, but it works well and it works fast. People my size on this program lose 20+ pounds the first month. Once you reach your goal, they help you add the right amount of calories back into your diet for proper weight maintenance. One of my friends referred me, she lost 80 pounds in 6 months and has kept it off the past four years. To me, I've yo-yo'd enough and it's worth the money and support.

It's not pure fat. No weight loss is pure fat.
    Ask them what the risk of gallbladder stones is with what you are doing. If they tell you none - walk away. If they explain it and you still want to go with your method - it's your choice. Best of luck. Just be informed and educate yourself. Figure out what maintenance is going to be like and long term results.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member

As to research. Yep, done it. Please read this to understand that your idea of protein leaching calcium is incorrect in general populations.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327
    I'm glad you posted this I get fed up with people posting that as a fact

I'm on what is called a sufficient protein high carb diet. Yes 60% of my diet is from carbs and only around 15% from protein but as I'm eating nearly 3000 calories on most days that's plenty of protein. If however I was only eating 1200 calories that percentage would not be sufficient I would likely need 40% of my diet on protein. A lot of the proponents of 80/10/10 are people like Rich Roll who's an endurance athlete so his calories are going to be high so the amount of grams of protein even on 80/10/10 will be high. As EvgeniZyntx said percentages are pretty meaningless in this context I never understand the obsession with using them as in reality it doesn't give you the whole picture or context

I agree there is a huge over egging of Protein to the detriment of other important things. When talking about diet though we need to look at the whole picture in context from activity to full nutrition not just one macro
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Been vegan these past three months (except that one day I still wish hadn't happened). By it's nature it's pretty high carb, my protein hovers at RDA though, I eat lots of seeds, nuts, and beans. I would say it's not nearly as good for satiety as low carb was, but it gives me way more energy to fuel workouts and just keep me from hanging out in a chair all day. And both ways of eating blow standard American diet out of the water.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Even if I wanted to I couldn't. Type I diabetic on a high carb diet...I would fully expect my doctor to slap me.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    I've just started a whole foods plant based diet. To be clear, most of my carbs are vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I don't eat a ton of bread or processed foods. It's very satisfying, and I'm finding it fairly easy to do on the road, since I've been out and about this week.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I guess; 50/35/15 C/F/P. It's just how my food falls. If protein goes over, I'm not fussed. I mostly worry about sodium and calories.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    I spent many, many years on high carb, low protein diet. My staples were pizza and chocolate. It was terrible when I couldn't put meat on the pizza or get chocolate with nuts in it because I didn't want the extra protein, but now with MFP I realize I can have both in moderation.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    I DO HIGH CARBS!

because I am plant based :)

not veggie, not vegan, just plant based

i do pay attention to protein though and try to hit the minimum MFP suggests

Plants are what my food eats :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm not "doing" low protein high carb on purpose, but I only seem to comfortably manage 60-80 grams a day with the occasional 100+ day, which translates to 10%-20% of my total intake (depending on the number of calories I consume that day).

I tried to go higher on protein, I really did, but it stressed me out trying to find reliable and easy sources, since most of the sources I like happen to also be rich in carbs, so I decided that I should forget about macros for now. Losing weight comfortably until I'm at a healthy weight is better than trying to stick to a higher protein then quitting halfway through.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You need protein to preserve muscle mass when you lose weight. Plus I'm guessing a high carb low protein diet would leave you very hungry, quite frankly, and good luck finding filling sources of fat that don't have protein in them anyway.

My protein goal has gone down as my goal has gone up though, I was 30%, now I'm 20%, but still eat close to 1g of protein per pound of lean mass (my goal is 105g). My personal trainer thought it was totally unnecessary to eat that much protein though, so who knows, but it keeps me satisfied to eat that way so I see no need to change.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Only 10-20% of your diet needs to be protein. Anything more is just excess. Read about the 80/10/10 diet. It's an even more extreme version of my diet and people thrive on it. It's been proven that too much protein in your system actually leaches calcium from the bones.

Go do research! I didn't decide on high-carb for kicks. I read books! Read The China Study, The 80/10/10 Diet, Diet for a New America. Google it! There are lots of sites to explain why high-complex-carb diets are good. :D

I love when people say "go do research" but have clearly never, ever even read a scientific journal article, let alone done any actual original research themselves.

That's cute. Really. But it's time to stop reading diet books and listen to people who actually DO do research.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    I am. By virtue of being a vegetarian. It's hard to do high protein.

I wonder where cows get their protein from. Do they eat other cows? :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

I love when people say "go do research" but have clearly never, ever even read a scientific journal article, let alone done any actual original research themselves.

That's cute. Really. But it's time to stop reading diet books and listen to people who actually DO do research.

You act like you ready scientific journals regularly or something.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

You act like you read scientific journals regularly or something.

Like it's my job!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am. By virtue of being a vegetarian. It's hard to do high protein.

I wonder where cows get their protein from. Do they eat other cows? :laugh:

I am a vegetarian and do not find it hard.

Cows have a very different digestive system to us.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    It seems like high-protein, low-carb diets are the maximum rage right now, but I was wondering if anyone else on here was on a high-complex-carb, low-protein diet. My percentages are 65/25/10. Anyone else?

Nope, good day.:drinker: