?? Big bones and BMI ??

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    BMI works for just about everyone, with some rare exceptions, like Olympic weight lifters!

BMI works for "some", but doesn't work for most people.....especially if you are of a Muscular Frame or Big Boned.
    By definition, BMI is applicable to most people. It's based on norms and averages.

Seems to work for women more than men, too, which would make sense given muscle development.

That said, if one is concerned that it doesn't fit them, body fat is better measure for an individual.

if i'm not mistaken BMI charts were created in the 19th century for white people. back then there were no female athletes for the most part. it also didnt take into account different ethnicities (for instance black and latina women tend to have less risk of osteoporosis than white and asian women because of differences in bone density).

in any case, even if all things were equal, more girls now, thank the gods, are involved in athletics which is going to mean more lean body mass. i dont know if the more updated charts look take those things into account. but generally speaking i dont think people who are legitimately overweight need a chart to tell them they could lose a few lbs :laugh:
  • elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dont freak / it is okay! I like the other comments here for the most part. I have always been big / heavy boned. At my thinnest I weighed in at 150... and was a size 5.... Im 5 9" . It is just the way im built . It used to bother me as a younger woman but i have learned to love me the way i am. I am just bigger than most women and some men even... no one will mess with me :0 :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have super-dense bones and a large bone structure - to the point where I've been told by more than one doctor that I will be lucky to ever be below a size 14 and shouldn't get below 180. 180 puts my BMI even as a large-framed woman as overweight.
  • zetodd
    zetodd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    such a serious thread. BMI is a measure of population not individuals.
    and

big-bones1.jpeg?w=580
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BMI works for just about everyone, with some rare exceptions, like Olympic weight lifters!

BMI works for "some", but doesn't work for most people.....especially if you are of a Muscular Frame or Big Boned.
    By definition, BMI is applicable to most people. It's based on norms and averages.

Seems to work for women more than men, too, which would make sense given muscle development.

That said, if one is concerned that it doesn't fit them, body fat is better measure for an individual.

if i'm not mistaken BMI charts were created in the 19th century for white people. back then there were no female athletes for the most part. it also didnt take into account different ethnicities (for instance black and latina women tend to have less risk of osteoporosis than white and asian women because of differences in bone density).

in any case, even if all things were equal, more girls now, thank the gods, are involved in athletics which is going to mean more lean body mass. i dont know if the more updated charts look take those things into account. but generally speaking i dont think people who are legitimately overweight need a chart to tell them they could lose a few lbs :laugh:

There's some chart floating around that compares the distribution of body fat and bmi and seems to indicate that it's FAR more likely that bmi under reports rather than over reports overweight for women. In other words, that you are much more likely to have too much body fat at an okay bmi than the other way around. I'll try to find it.

Anyway, doesn't mean there aren't outliers, which is why individuals need to look at themselves and go to body fat if they think it doesn't fit them, as I said. But the belief by some that it's likely to not fit most people or widely overstate the overweight or obesity rate due to muscle mass for the average person seems to me to be quite wrong.

Now, could it not fit specific groups as well as others, because it primarily used a white population pool (or majority white) and there are differences between populations? Certainly possible, but that's a different question. I do know that the bmi skews high for certain Asian populations so it certainly could skew the other way for other groups.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Big bones or small bones usually refers to frame size. Your frame size partially determines weight. I'm petite and small framed. I have smaller internal organs because I'm short with a small rib cage and waist. And less space in the body for fat and muscle (to some degree). My bones are slightly smaller than average. Like a child has smaller bones than an adult for example. My ten year old daughter is almost bigger than me (but of course I have a more curvy/womanly shape).

It's just one factor. There are many other factors and variations.
  • Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    my doctor a slight asian woman said my bmi says I'm morbidly obsess and need to loose 56 this would put me at 136 which would be healthy at most people

however I sort of disagree when i was 16 had bulimic tendencies at my skinniest i was about 150lbs which is what I'm aiming for again 14lbs less would look drastic on me i feel :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I agree the "wrist measurement" is not valid. "Big boned" is more of a euphemism for someone with a higher than average fat free mass (FFM). FFM includes everything that is not fat--bones, muscles, organs, etc.

The range of FFM levels for females at any given height can range over 30-35 pounds, which means the range of what can be considered an "ideal" weight is even larger.

The best way to determine an "ideal weight" is to assess body fat. From that number you can estimate FFM. With FFM, you determine your target BF% and add that to FFM and you have a decent target weight goal.

I don't think we need to "epheumize" Fat Free Mass.I'm 172 with 129 pounds of fat free mass (25% BF). I'm proud to have all the muscle I worked hard for and I don't need it attributed to my bones. That being said, I also have a large wrist, but that has nothing to do with my muscle. That's genetics and hard work, not bones.

I totally agree with you on the fat % target though and using that to get your ideal weight. At my ideal of all ideal weights, I will be 155, and still overweight according to BMI, yet 20% BF.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's the BMI study I was talking about. I found it interesting.

Www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2877506/
  • janeypoosandbob
    janeypoosandbob Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    18 months ago I had a wrist measurement of 6" and BMI of 15
    Now I have a 7" wrist and 25 BMI so I don't really take much notice of wrist measurements as I feel for that much difference on the BMI scale 1" difference isn't a lot at all.
    I'm 5'4" and consider myself to be big boned because even at my lowest weight my frame although very skinny and all bone I was still quite broad unfortunately.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Frame size is not determined by wrist size. It is your skeleton (shoulders/ribs/waist, etc. Pelvis, but that is also influenced by glute size). I have lowish bodyfat, so it's easy to measure my frame size.
  • kristijohnson1
    kristijohnson1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found this on another thread that was talking about frame size. It uses real wrist measurements. I may be a freak. I am 355 but I still have relatively boney wrists so I am pretty confident I got an accurate assessment as Large Boned. Really more of a confirmation of information back before I put all the weight on.

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz
  • kristijohnson1
    Options
    deleted
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There's some chart floating around that compares the distribution of body fat and bmi and seems to indicate that it's FAR more likely that bmi under reports rather than over reports overweight for women. In other words, that you are much more likely to have too much body fat at an okay bmi than the other way around. I'll try to find it.

Anyway, doesn't mean there aren't outliers, which is why individuals need to look at themselves and go to body fat if they think it doesn't fit them, as I said. But the belief by some that it's likely to not fit most people or widely overstate the overweight or obesity rate due to muscle mass for the average person seems to me to be quite wrong.

Now, could it not fit specific groups as well as others, because it primarily used a white population pool (or majority white) and there are differences between populations? Certainly possible, but that's a different question. I do know that the bmi skews high for certain Asian populations so it certainly could skew the other way for other groups.

Exactly what I was coming in to write.

If you're very overweight (bmi 40 or so) don't worry about whether your goal would give you a bmi of 27 or even 30. Get there first and then decide if you need to lose more.
  • kristijohnson1
    Options
    18 months ago I had a wrist measurement of 6" and BMI of 15
    Now I have a 7" wrist and 25 BMI so I don't really take much notice of wrist measurements as I feel for that much difference on the BMI scale 1" difference isn't a lot at all.
    I'm 5'4" and consider myself to be big boned because even at my lowest weight my frame although very skinny and all bone I was still quite broad unfortunately.

I hear ya! Even back before I put on the weight, I still wore pants 6 sizes larger than the other girls in school because of the way I am built under the fat. Of course I didn't understand that then and "hate ate" myself up to 362 lbs.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--hopefully you got your questions answered 3 years ago when you started this thread.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have been classified as big boned by 2 physicians. My bone density is near the top of the charts for a woman of my height (5'8") and because of that I can weigh more and look good. Supposed to be somewhere around 145-150 and I can pull off 175-180 and look fabulous!

As for the BMI, I was told that because of my build the "standard" would not really apply to me because they're based on someone of average structure. I'm far from average (on many other levels too :bigsmile: ) and after getting my second opinion that also said not to go by those numbers, but rather weight and/or clothing size I started to listen.

So, I'll never be a size 0 or a size 6...just glad to be healthy again!

Hey! I am your same height with small bones! Confirmed by doctors... bone structure really does matter! My ideal weight range is 125-135...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was fairly large boned because I have quite broad shoulders and hips (hips will not go below 34" or so), but my weight has never gone over 150(I am 5'10), and it only hit that high because I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism. I look pretty flabby at that weight, actually, my natural setpoint weight being 140 or so since I reached my full height at 14.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    OP--hopefully you got your questions answered 3 years ago when you started this thread.

We know. This is a talkedy topic regardless.