Honestly, is 5'4 considered short on a girl?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". Short. I think 5'4" is right on the border.

This is my opinion also. I'm 5'2". Petite clothes are often intended for 5'4" and under. I think 5'4" is the cut-off point for "petite".
  • JohnnyyyBravooo
    Options
    Owww. Arent you happy feet
  • valkaree
    valkaree Posts: 519
    Options
    Shorter gals are hot but I like them all :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think 5'4" is quite average for a woman. But I'd say average is 5'3-5'7 to my mind...5'8 (my height), and 5'9" are somewhat on the tall side but a woman needs to be 5'10+ for me to really think she is tall. A lot of people consider me tall at 5'8" which is fine by me.

If I had to choose between saying 5'4" is SHORT or 5'4" is TALL, though....I'd say short.

Most of my female friends are 5'4"-5'6", and my mom is 5'6". To me that's pretty much average/normal for women.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, usually called short. 5'4 is closer to average imo.
  • Organicgasm
    Organicgasm Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". Short. I think 5'4" is right on the border.

This is my opinion also. I'm 5'2". Petite clothes are often intended for 5'4" and under. I think 5'4" is the cut-off point for "petite".

Agreed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure 5'4" is average female height...it is neither tall nor short.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and I think it is short.
  • MargretEmily
    Options
    Im 5'3 and i consider myself short.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Taller than me, but still short! lol I thought 5'6" was average height.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Normal. Absolutely.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Taller than me, but still short! lol I thought 5'6" was average height.

Im just shy of 5'4". As a kid i always heard 5'6" was average for a female. Newest stats are 5'4" and 160 lbs for women. Did we get shorter?
  • Sbrn_
    Sbrn_ Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Just for fun - somebody had too much time on their hand and compiled a Wiki page with average heights by country. Have a look and you'll find that you are bang on average for a US female (they did even adjust it for various ethnicities).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Huh, going by this I'm shorter than average. I always feel like I'm the same height as most people though, female and male, if that make sense. I suppose I'm tall on the inside. :ohwell:
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    5'4 may be considered short by some people but I believe it's an average height for women. I kinda hate it because 50 years ago the average height was 5'2 and now it is 5'5. So maybe 5'4 is just under the average height but it is close enough. I'm 5'3 and I wish so much I could be taller !! T.T
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    lol I'm 4'9, so 5'4 is tall to me :laugh:

I would've thought it was about average, but I guess it also varies by country and ethicity.
  • Bsexi88
    Bsexi88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add that it also depends on your ethnicity the average black girl is 5'6 I'm 5'4 so it makes me average for American height but short for being African American. We are considered short in my opinion when I stand next to someone who's let's say 4'9 I feel extremely tall when I'm next to someone who's 5'8, 5'9 and above I feel really short we're kind of in between so yes it may be the American average but for all the 5'2 girls or shorter saying that were not considered short you have no idea what it's like to be 5'4 WE ARE PETITE. I could say that there are girls 4'4 and their much tinier than 5'1 and 5'2 so don't count us(5'4) out because we're on the taller end of the petite spectrum.
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    no way!!!! perfectly normal! Though I do have to buy petite pants or I walk all over them.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I think it's a little on the short side.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 8.5"( though I've shrunk a little over the years - used to be 5'9" :wink: ), apparently I'm seen as average nowadays. According to my son, I'm very short but then, he's 6'3".

• moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    5'4" shouldn't be considered short for a woman!
    I'm a 5'8" man and believe me, it's akin to leprosy amongst ladyfolk!!