Ketogenic "Diet"/lifestyle

Options
Hey everyone! I'm putting out a post to see if there's anyone else who follows the keto lifestyle? I avoid using the term "diet" because a diet implies that it is "a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons". Like it's a short term or temporary thing until you've gotten to your GW. Not for me. I love meats and I prefer not to eat a heavy carb diet so Keto is perfect for me.

Anyways, I've done Keto before and I lost 40lbs (18kg) from the scale, but I dropped from a size 22US to a size14US (XL shirt size to a M) in a few months. I was also lifting heavy during that time frame (so I don't know exactly how much fat I lost). Life happens; so, here I am starting over plus some.:ohwell: My ultimate goal is to be around the 130lbs (59kg) mark. I will also start heavy weight lifting again after I lose ~45lbs (20kg) since I want to avoid strain on my body. Currently I am doing more cardio and light-moderate weight lifting.

If you don't know what Ketogenics is then here is a link to check it out:

http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

:drinker: :drinker: Drink that water! :drinker: :drinker: :happy:

Edited: For wording.

Replies

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Love keto! Been a total game-changer for me. :)
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I still remember when I dropped about 30 lbs in ~2 months and the doctor asked me how I did it. :wink: The look of disbelief on her face was totally worth it! :laugh: Keto all the way! :happy:
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

I still remember when I dropped about 30 lbs in ~2 months and the doctor asked me how I did it. :wink: The look of disbelief on her face was totally worth it! :laugh: Keto all the way! :happy:

It's just so satisfying and easy to do day in and day out. I know most people on MFP are anti-low carb but it's really changed my life. There are a few really good keto groups on MFP you can join, if not already a member!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
  • mcpostelle
    Options

It's just so satisfying and easy to do day in and day out. I know most people on MFP are anti-low carb but it's really changed my life. There are a few really good keto groups on MFP you can join, if not already a member!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

Wow, thanks! I haven't even thought to look yet since I've already come to the conclusion that being low-carb/anti-carb is unspeakable on here. :wink: JK. I do hope that more people will become educated in it though!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love Keto too. I can see it would not be for everyone but it is great for me. There is a Keto group on MFP. It is called Keto. A search in groups section will find it if you are not in it already.
    Keto solved my water retention issues, all 20 plus pounds worth of water retention. I had no idea it was so bad until I peed it all out at start of Keto. My shoes are loose now where my feet are no longer swollen. My abdomin is no longer saw and swollen with inflammation from all the foods I was eating that disagreed with my digestive system. My fibromyalgia pain is reduced. All food cravings are gone and I do not get hungry between meals now. It feels like being set free from an internal jail that was the nightmare of the constant relentless cravings and self disgust. Everyone is best off doing what works for them. Ketogenic eating works for me. :happy:
  • mcpostelle
    Options
    I love Keto too. I can see it would not be for everyone but it is great for me. There is a Keto group on MFP. It is called Keto. A search in groups section will find it if you are not in it already.
    Keto solved my water retention issues, all 20 plus pounds worth of water retention. I had no idea it was so bad until I peed it all out at start of Keto. My shoes are loose now where my feet are no longer swollen. My abdomin is no longer saw and swollen with inflammation from all the foods I was eating that disagreed with my digestive system. My fibromyalgia pain is reduced. All food cravings are gone and I do not get hungry between meals now. It feels like being set free from an internal jail that was the nightmare of the constant relentless cravings and self disgust. Everyone is best off doing what works for them. Ketogenic eating works for me. :happy:

I agree with that. Everyone has to find their niche. I just think that's there's a huge negative connotation about eating high fats and low carbs. Personally, I have a medical condition that is un-named (of course *rolls eyes*), but under research at a major hospital in the US, with it my body cannot process sugars, good or bad, complex or simple, they just swim in my blood stream until they're kicked out. So, that's how I got into Keto. It has literally saved my life. :happy: :drinker:

And, I will be looking for all the keto groups I can (I think I've found the one that you and aeb09 mentioned). So, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yes I got in to ketogenic eating for medical reasons also, not as severe as yours. From what I have read about it it has many medical applications. Having experienced it now though i think it is a totally valid way of eating even for people without additional medical issues. It works great for people who have eating issues alone. I don't understand why there is so much hostility toward this choice from some members. Thankfully there are still many people who are supportive and open minded. I am glad you found it works for you. I also see it as a long term permanent way of life and not a temporary thing.
  • KevinIMCPA
    KevinIMCPA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that is does for me, is I don't get hungry. I eat small meals & healthy snacks during the day but never really get hungry. If I get out of the habit for some time, several days, then I get hungry & have cravings. But I can get back to the routine real easy & back into better habits. For the most part I just stay away from sweets & high carbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm putting out a post to see if there's anyone else who follows the keto lifestyle?

I did it for a year. No need to avoid the word "diet" because, well, it IS a diet.

Anyway, I hated it. Left me energyless and miserable and constantly craving foods I wasn't allowed to have. Never felt full, never felt satisfied. I'm much happier - and much more active and physically fit - with a more balanced distribution of macros.

Never again.