30 day shred w/Jillian Michaels

Options
ok I have a question about this dvd! How often are u suppossed to do it???? Are u supposed to do it everyday or skip a day in between? It really doesn't say anywhere on the dvd. Just wondering what everyone else was doing. Thanks!

Replies

• Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I know that you are never supposed to use weights to work the same muscle for 2 days in a row so I would do it every other day and do just cardio on the days off.
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think that you are expected to do it every day for 30 days since It is a high intensity for only 20 minutes. She also mentions something about '.... if you are on day 5 ...."

I plan to do it every morning before work for 30 days straight.
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think you are suppose to do it everyday. I'm on Day 26 tomorrow and I've done it every single day. It is true you are not suppose to work the same muscles daily but the maximum weight you will be using is 5lbs which is really not that intense (intense enough for you to feel the burn but not intense enough that you feel like you can't raise your arms the next day...). I've been alternating between 3lb and 5lb weights because you will find that some of the workouts, the 3lb is just too light.

I think it is best to do it daily so your body gets used to the workout. I can honestly tell you my endurance level has improved significantly from the very beginning. I've been logging my Shred workout daily so if you're interested, you can read about my experience.

I also know people who took 40-45 days to finish and that's totally fine. I'm lucky cuz I'm not working currently so working out is all I do. Some people have kids and jobs to look after so they do it every other day when they can. But don't skip more than one day otherwise it's hard to get back into it!

Good luck!! Shred really works!

Tiffany
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    People are all over the place about this topic. Some go every day for 30 days, other do 5 days on, 2 off, and others alternate days. For myself, I am not following it right through, but using the workouts in a mix along with other JM workouts and toning exercises, and alternating those videos with cardio days. It is all in what works best for you, but I tried to go every day and I got too sore and then injured my shoulder and had to quit.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to do it everyday. I'm on day 5 now, and I do it everyday even when it hurts. Together with healthy eating, I'm down around 3lbs this week :smile:
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Weight lifters know you are never supposed to work a sore muscle. They also alternate muscle groups on different days to give muscle groups a rest. It really is not healthy to work the exact same muscle everyday. It makes you tear down muscle as opposed to building it up. Do a little research on strength training.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Jillian Michael ifit cards also say while you are exercising that you should work out about 6 days a week, however she only provides you with 3 days per week of elliptical which also suggest every other day.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    Its meant to do daily but she also recommends a rest day :)
  • bizybeemom
    bizybeemom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I add it as a suppliment to my normal running. I don't have a specific schedule I follow. But I love it!!!
  • heatherw7
    Options
    Weight lifters know you are never supposed to work a sore muscle. They also alternate muscle groups on different days to give muscle groups a rest. It really is not healthy to work the exact same muscle everyday. It makes you tear down muscle as opposed to building it up. Do a little research on strength training.

"It makes you tear down muscle as opposed to building it up" my husband is big in to weight liftin and as you are right in some way, with the shred you shouldnt be using weights heavy enough to tear anything. Also, thats why you get "shredded". You HAVE to shred muscles in order for them to get stronger. Thats where the soreness comes from, its only making you stronger.

There is alot of hype on your muscles need so much time to rest, but ive been told 24 hours (i think 8 hours for smaller muscle groups.) if your drinking enough water. So if I do the shred at 11 am one day, ill be fine to do it the next day 11 am.

Just what I was told,
  • hyles6
    hyles6 Posts: 4
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am loving the workout video 30 day shred. I am on day 8 and in worout 2 she states she u tomorrow. I have been doing it everyday figured since it was called 30 day shred it meant daily. well I hope everyone else enjoys it after the 1st day I was sooo sore, but pushed through and was good the next days... GOOD LUCK....:love:

3439146.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Very informative. I can go with that info.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I have that Dvd but have only done it twice and only lasted maybe 10 minutes It was tough Since then I've done a different Dvd (Be a Knockout With Kendra) and my treadmill so I am a bit stronger now and was gonna try out the JM Dvd I probably won't follow it daily since I have other workouts I do but in my opinion it means to do it daily
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I think you are suppose to do it everyday. I'm on Day 26 tomorrow and I've done it every single day. It is true you are not suppose to work the same muscles daily but the maximum weight you will be using is 5lbs which is really not that intense (intense enough for you to feel the burn but not intense enough that you feel like you can't raise your arms the next day...). I've been alternating between 3lb and 5lb weights because you will find that some of the workouts, the 3lb is just too light.

I think it is best to do it daily so your body gets used to the workout. I can honestly tell you my endurance level has improved significantly from the very beginning. I've been logging my Shred workout daily so if you're interested, you can read about my experience.

I also know people who took 40-45 days to finish and that's totally fine. I'm lucky cuz I'm not working currently so working out is all I do. Some people have kids and jobs to look after so they do it every other day when they can. But don't skip more than one day otherwise it's hard to get back into it!

Good luck!! Shred really works!

Tiffany

did you record your measurements and weight from day 1 to present day?
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    I currently can't do lunges, squats, or jumping jacks (anything that puts high strain on my knee) so after doing the 30DS a couple days I had to stop. There is another Biggest Loser DVD - PowerSculpt, which incorporates free-weights and is amazing. It has a 20 min level 1, 10 min level 2, and 10 min level 3. I usually do the warmup, level one and two, and cooldown each day (40 mins total) and I love it because its a lot more about weights than cardio.

That being said, I walk almost every day to so I can get some cardio in.

But if you aren't comfortable doing the 30DS every day, you could toss in a different DVD - like PowerSculpt, or pilates - and still get a great workout.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    I currently can't do lunges, squats, or jumping jacks (anything that puts high strain on my knee) so after doing the 30DS a couple days I had to stop. There is another Biggest Loser DVD - PowerSculpt, which incorporates free-weights and is amazing. It has a 20 min level 1, 10 min level 2, and 10 min level 3. I usually do the warmup, level one and two, and cooldown each day (40 mins total) and I love it because its a lot more about weights than cardio.

But if you aren't comfortable doing the 30DS every day, you could toss in a different DVD - like PowerSculpt, or pilates - and still get a great workout.

that was my problem with the 30DS dvd too because it put so much strain on my knees with those lunges and jumping jacks...jumping jacks are a little easier for me now but i'm still struggling with lunges and squats
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    Purplespeckle I'm hoping I'll be able to do those soon! I bruised my knee caritilage severely and pulled my hamstring, so I'm having to do physical therapy and not allowed to run, jog, squat, lunge, etc until the doc clears me to. So alas....its flat walking! I miss hiking! But its better this way than getting a knee replacement, which is where I was headed!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options

My left knee has been having issues since I hurt it 3 months ago playing tennis. I've seen physio and it appears my left knee cap has 'shifted' a bit to the left and that the muscle on the outer thigh has been pulling and doing all the work so it's really tight and the muscle on my inner thigh is not doing enough work so it's really weak. I was told to ice it 20 minutes daily and do these strengthening exercises. I was also told to not run but walk and not do any squats or exercises. Honestly, I listened to her for a good month and a half and the knee situation got a little bit better but I can still feel the pain and the swelling behind the knee cap.

But I wanted to lose weight...the more I kept still, the more pain it was causing me...so I started doing the 30 Day Shred. I've just finished Day 26. I did it every day, even when I was sore I pushed through. I couldn't do the lunges all the way so I would do it half way or even just a third of the way. Jumping jacks and butt kicks all hurt but I just did what I could. I'm not saying you should and you should listen to your doctor but for me, exercise helped. By the time I got to Level 2-3, my knee feels infinitely better. I can lunge just a bit deeper, even if it's just an inch. I can jump higher and even though I still can't do the butt kick all the way, I can do just a bit more...

My knee and my sciatica were my excuses not to work out and ironically, once I started working out and I've lost 9lbs, it's lifted the pressure off of my knee and my sciatica and I feel like a different person from 27 days ago.

Just my two cents..hope it helps!

Tiffany
  • emilillymom
    Options
    I've been doing everyday along with running on the treadmill.