Confused about rice....

Options
2»

Replies

• kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The serving size refers to 1/4 dry (uncooked) product, this is the equivalent of 3/4 cup (+/-) cooked rice.
    The calories will be the same with a variants of the ingredients you're using to cook the rice.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I would much rather overestimate than underestimate. I made curry and I love rice. I would never give it up.... It was a short grained sushi, so pearl??? It said 170 per 1/4 cup.

I also forgot to mention, I use a rice cooker, so the measurements are different than if I did it in a pot.... I can cook rice in a pot, I just don't wanna...

It was yummy.... chicken, red bell, onions, and bamboo shoots I mixed green and yellow curry..... Mmmmmmm

Why would the measurement for rice differ if you cooked it in a pot vs rice cooker? More stuff sticking to the container or something? Glad you enjoyed your dinner. I encourage you to follow up on your plan to get the food scale :)
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's my inner blonde but I totally had this same thought in my head the other day and ended up just saying f-it and made quinoa instead because I figured at least those calories also had some nutrition! :laugh: Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Uncooked, but use a scale.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why would the measurement for rice differ if you cooked it in a pot vs rice cooker?

Variation in the amount of water absorbed by the rice. Which is why weighing *before* cooking is so important.
  • hh121
    hh121 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Who the hell eats half a cup of uncooked rice? I'm not even sure how that would digest properly.

Me! At the start of my diet I would eat a whole cup! LOL But then as I lost weight I halved it (to half a cup) and added vegetables to it.
    Plus I measure using a drinks cup which is probably a bigger portion (1/2 a cup of that being 125g dry according to my scale) so it's perfectly possible to eat that much
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Who the hell eats half a cup of uncooked rice? I'm not even sure how that would digest properly.

Me! At the start of my diet I would eat a whole cup! LOL But then as I lost weight I halved it (to half a cup) and added vegetables to it.
    Plus I measure using a drinks cup which is probably a bigger portion (1/2 a cup of that being 125g dry according to my scale) so it's perfectly possible to eat that much
    Why don't you cook your rice?