Bump for some yummy suggestions.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    tag
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As far as savory goes, I really enjoy adding chopped green onions to mine. I actually learned that one from my mother. It works great as is or as a dip for crackers or chips.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I know pineapples are a popular addition to cottage cheese. sweet cottage cheese isn' tmy thing though.

I have been eating it every day with diced onion, cucumber, a small potato, pepper and garlic and maybe chives and basil if i feel like it. Sometimes I have a slice of toast instead of the potato but the potato is better for a long term fill up for the same calories. I'm going to try mixing in some ricotta as well.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I eat mine salty with saltine crackers and salt and pepper.

If I wanted a sweet version I guess I'd have it with cinnamon, splenda, and maybe a drizzle of honey on top. I might add some fruit that goes with cinnamon like maybe chopped apple, or peach.

Maybe that would taste good, but I don't think of cottage cheese that way. To me it's a savory food.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i tried this today.
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    20gm slivered almonds
    yum what have i been missing
    all these years ;-)
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    To me the absolute best way to eat CC is with apples or pears.
    Peaches are good too. Oddly I don't like it with pineapple or melon even though those are really "classic" pairings.
    I also love it with raisins mixed in....mmmmm.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    This is not a sweet...but I bought this Asian seasoning at Costco, and put it on cottage cheese, it tastes awesome. Ginger, sesame, made cottage cheese taste totally different.

I like to add cottage cheese to a lean cuisine spaghetti, like a lasagna.

As for sweet, I like it mixed with melon, a bit of lime, or add a bit of sugar free jam.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Sweet Cottage Cheese:

1) Topped with any kind of fruit preserves or fresh fruit ( I typically use my mom's homemade strawberry freezer jam :love: )
    2) Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice mixed in
    3) Applesauce and apple pie spice
    4) Brown sugar and cinnamon
    5) Use in place of oil when baking
    6) Maple syrup, cinnamon, and banana slices
    7) Mixed into smoothies
    8) Cottage cheese ice cream

Savory Cottage Cheese

1) Puree to blend the curds, spread onto bread ( I like thicker breads or a crusty sourdough ), top with salt, pepper, dry dill, a tomato slice. Bake until crispy then drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on top
    2) Use in place of ricotta cheese in lasagna
    3) Stuff into a baked potato instead of sour cream
    4) Add a tablespoon or two into scrambled eggs to make 'em nice and creamy
    5) Use cottage cheese instead of mayo for pretty much anything (I like using it when Im making deviled eggs)
    6) Cottage cheese, fried egg, and avocado on toast
    7) Use as a dip. Add in ranch powder mix, spinach dip mix, or just fresh veggies and eat with chips or pitas :D
  • GrandmaJackee
    GrandmaJackee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wow, never thought of adding anything to my cottage cheese except a little salt. Will have to try these.
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I greatly prefer mine absolutely plain, but as a kid I loved it with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top (doesn't need to be much).
  • JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've just been eating it plain... in for the ideas! Yall have posted some great ones already :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I love these ideas!
    I usually just put dried onions, or fresh chives, and dill in mine.
    Thanks for all the great ideas!
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't like the cottage cheese with pineapple here in the UK, I bought it by mistake the other day :ohwell: I tend to have mine plain, but i'm willing to try some of these :smile:
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Bump......a lot of these sound delicious!! Will definitely try some out!!
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My dad liked a scoop in the center of a half cantaloupe. We also use it in lasagna and tuna salad. As a kid liked it with sugar sprinkled on top...now more likely to blend it smooth and stir in a ranch dressing seasoning packet to make a veggie dip or baked potato topping, or left plain to make deviled eggs in place of the mayo or plain Greek yogurt. Like it plain too.
  • Dlr1975
    Dlr1975 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I like to eat muesli with a multi-fruit-juice instead of milk and add a portion of cottage cheese...
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A few options that I tend to combine with cottage cheese:

* Baked apple slices, cinnamon, almond slices and a drizzle of agave syrup.
    * Pear and raspberries with powdered vanilla
    * Blueberries and cinnamon
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Some really nice ideas here!

I like cottage cheese with sliced melon, or berries with maple syrup & cinnamon.

Or honey when I'm out of maple syrup.

For savoury, I just add salt & pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, maybe peppers.

:drinker: