I think I might cry

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I pulled into Burger King tonight to order a Whopper Jr. and drove around and right back out. It really didn't sound all that good. Came home had tuna salad with red apple and a slice of my amazing cheesecake and still have a few calories left to use. I may or may not use them but the fact is YES your taste buds do change. I agree to find a way to make it at home to your taste and not so much sodium. I love the egg drop soup, good protein also and not as much sodium. It is sad to you because it was something you always enjoyed, now you will something else to enjoy just as much...good luck
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced that yet, I don't think my taste buds have changed one bit, but you don't have to live on rabbit food. Heck, I almost never have rabbit food.

DITTO to what she said.:smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    don't be so dramatic...I eat very healthfully but not remotely like a rabbit. Healthful foods prepared properly are delicious...far more delicious than the slop they try to pawn off as Chinese food in most establishments. You can eat awesome and healthful food without eating like a rabbit...please...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah this will never happen to me... I don't put foods into categories of good vs. bad or healthy vs. not healthy... The only foods that I refuse to eat are those that I just flat out do not like... My taste buds still enjoy everything I like before when I weighed over 500 pounds the only difference is that now I know when enough is enough and I eat within my caloric intake... I refuse to eat seeds or rabbit food for the sake of someones made up list of things to eat and things to avoid... This is a lifestyle journey now and if I want something that I like then I will make it fit... Best of Luck though
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yeah this will never happen to me... I don't put foods into categories of good vs. bad or healthy vs. not healthy... The only foods that I refuse to eat are those that I just flat out do not like... My taste buds still enjoy everything I like before when I weighed over 500 pounds the only difference is that now I know when enough is enough and I eat within my caloric intake... I refuse to eat seeds or rabbit food for the sake of someones made up list of things to eat and things to avoid... This is a lifestyle journey now and if I want something that I like then I will make it fit... Best of Luck though

I agree. I haven't given up anything. I have learned how to make it fit in my calories/macros for the day. Everything tastes the same. Thank goodness!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You know, its possible that the restaurant cooks just screwed up that night.

Learn to cook your own Chinese food, then you have control over the quality and can adjust the salt to your liking.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    After you switch to healthier food and partake of boxed, frozen or restaurant meals, all you taste is SALT. Our entire continent is so salt-crazy that when people leave the salt out, we think, "Oh, this needs salt!" It's just how our taste buds are.

I couldn't believe how salty the Stouffer's Salisbury steak was when I had a nibble. Couldn't even eat it. The salt was too overpowering. I wish they'd make more stuff without the salt, but most people wouldn't buy it. Don't expect a change there, lol.

You are not alone. Other people have had that experience.

I never wanted to cry, lol, but it is disappointing to eat something you think you love and then find out you no longer like it because all you taste is salt.

On the bright side, a low sodium diet is good for you. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

All of this!
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Any sort of take out food can be a bit salty. At least that is the way it is in America.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    First of all don't panic. I think you just shocked your system because you are still making the mistake of living on "Diet" food that and let's be honest with each other here .. you don't plan on sustaining.

Thing is yeah Chinese takeaway food is really fatty and salty depending on the quality of your local. And since you have been living on .. as you put it .. rabbit food yeah i can imagine that you found going straight to Chinese unpalatable.

You have to find more of a balance in your nutrition. You really REALLY don't have to live on seeds and pulses and cardboard and rabbit food to lose weight. And even if you do as soon as you stop and go back to your old ways you will just regain all the weight anyway. If so what are you suffering for?

You need to look at how you eat everyday and find tasty healthy foods to eat. Learn to cook and prepare your own food. And trust me food can TOTALLY be healthy and tasty at the same time.

A temporary ban on stuff like sweets or cakes can be good for some people to allow them to form healthy eating habits. But you have abandoned everything with an ounce of taste. This is a seriously bad attitude to food and needs to stop. For your own sake.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel! I wanted something "bad" on my birthday, but not too bad. So I decided on Panda Express, teriyaki chicken bowl with white rice. I was salivating by the time we got home, smelling it was pure torture. Then I was so disappointed when it didn't taste as good as I remembered. We had learned to make something similar at home, and I prefer our version now. Much less salt, better portion control, and so much cheaper! We were so miserable after eating that dinner, I won't be going back.

I think it's a good thing! All of the fast food restaurants around us are going to miss our money, we've discovered homemade can be better than eating out. Now I just need to learn how to make a good pizza...

Congratulations !!!

Sounds like your birthday present was realizing that your new eating habits have become your new lifestyle
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    First of all don't panic. I think you just shocked your system because you are still making the mistake of living on "Diet" food that and let's be honest with each other here .. you don't plan on sustaining.

Thing is yeah Chinese takeaway food is really fatty and salty depending on the quality of your local. And since you have been living on .. as you put it .. rabbit food yeah i can imagine that you found going straight to Chinese unpalatable.

You have to find more of a balance in your nutrition. You really REALLY don't have to live on seeds and pulses and cardboard and rabbit food to lose weight. And even if you do as soon as you stop and go back to your old ways you will just regain all the weight anyway. If so what are you suffering for?

You need to look at how you eat everyday and find tasty healthy foods to eat. Learn to cook and prepare your own food. And trust me food can TOTALLY be healthy and tasty at the same time.

A temporary ban on stuff like sweets or cakes can be good for some people to allow them to form healthy eating habits. But you have abandoned everything with an ounce of taste. This is a seriously bad attitude to food and needs to stop. For your own sake.
    Some people are dieting, but some people are making lifestyle changes, like adding exercise and eating healthy food.

The weight loss is really a side effect of the healthier living.

Dieting is great! No problem with eating whatever you want or just making portion adjustments!

But some people really are making lifestyle changes. Part of that is realizing that the food you used to love doesn't taste as good any more. Another part is finding out that, sometimes, when you eat the things you used to love, you feel kind of sick later on. Not nauseated! Just "Ugh" kind of sick.

It's all part of the lifestyle change. :)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yes, taste buds change and you'll find you might not enjoy the same foods any longer. This happened to me too and I realize, food solely no longer plays such an important part of my enjoyment in life! I'd rather cherish and enjoy the time I spend with a few close friends over a meal rather than the other way around. ;D
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yes, been there and thought that. With me it was sweet things - flapjacks, cookies, merangues, tartlets. Now the commercial ones are just too sweet and sickley I struggle with them. Mrs B likes to bake so that gets round a lot of the hassles, but generally my palet has swung back toward the savoury end of the spectrum! As for eating like a rabbit - dont do it!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Some people are dieting, but some people are making lifestyle changes, like adding exercise and eating healthy food.

The weight loss is really a side effect of the healthier living.

Dieting is great! No problem with eating whatever you want or just making portion adjustments!

But some people really are making lifestyle changes. Part of that is realizing that the food you used to love doesn't taste as good any more. Another part is finding out that, sometimes, when you eat the things you used to love, you feel kind of sick later on. Not nauseated! Just "Ugh" kind of sick.

It's all part of the lifestyle change. :)

Yeah I don't really disagree with what you said. But she said she is living on seeds and rabbit food and other tasteless stuff. To me that's just sad you know. I mean we don't get fat because we don't like food so for a fellow foodie to totally abstain and try and live of stuff they plain hate just seems like some kind of obscure self torture. With no real point. I totally agree that your tastes change when you eat healthier though. More often than not when I want sweet stuff I want fruit more than candy. And more often than not I just plain crave healthier foods. I just think my definition of healthier foods is broader, more forgiving and mentally healthier than her. Neither man nor woman should live on rabbit food alone. Tis bad for the soul dontyerknow XD.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    first world problems of peace
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Make you own.

I find chinese food from takeaways a huge disappointment and never filling enough.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Special fried rice with chips and curry sauce, salt and peppercorn chicken or crispy shredded chilli beef are never a disappointment!.

I usually split one serving over two days, enjoying it twice over :).
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have tried diets where I was so restricted I was miserable. Right now I am trying to just be gentle with myself. I am making a lot of foods I used to love but aren't quite working for me anymore. Swelling from chinese food makes me hurt the next two days so I am making it for myself in ways I can enjoy it without pain. But I am using real foods to do it - real butter, real flour, real sugar, real honey....I'm not stuffing things full of fiber to make me think I am getting more. I am learning how to stop when I have had enough. Last night was steak night for a celebration. I made dinner rolls from scratch and baked potatoes and ribeyes - well marbled. I had enough halfway through the first roll, about 2 oz of steak and a third of the well buttered/sour creamed and salted potato ....and I stopped eating. I enjoyed the company and the family and enjoyed watching people eat what I had made. Not a green thing in site because we were celebrating and just didn't wanna.

Be gentle with yourself. Try not to go about weight loss as a punishment for getting heavy to start with. This is a process that will last for the rest of your life. Try not to make yourself miserable over it.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You could try new foods and find new treats? :)