anyone eating only vegetarian/vegan food

Options

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I m from india and trying to lose A LOT OF weight. But most of the members here eat meat, fish, etc. Wondering if there are any indian vegetarian guys to help me and accompany me in my healthy eating journey..:smile:

Just to clarify ... i am a vegetarian by religion and choice, not because i want to lose weight. I mentioned i am from India because lots of food here are different from other countries. So it'll help me learn a few new recipes from products available here. But guys i need all the help i can get. Thanks a lot for offering me the support.

meanwhile completely unrelated question : can i somehow pin this post so that i dont continuously need to search it out?

you can look at "my topics" to find posts you made or commented on. It is one of the blue headings at top of page when you go to message boards.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, but I eat fish once in a very great while. But I mostly eat plant based food for meals. My issue is sugar, if I could just stop eating sweets!

So you're pescatarian
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, but I eat fish once in a very great while. But I mostly eat plant based food for meals. My issue is sugar, if I could just stop eating sweets!
    you are not vegetarian
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

You know that eating one piece of fish every once in a while doesn't mean she magically doesn't follow a vegetarian diet anymore.
    People are so militant with what they label their eating habits on here.
  • kanikavishvesh
    kanikavishvesh Posts: 30 Member
    Options

hey i read a few recipes a while back for the sweeth tooth which are great and donot have too may calories. my fav is the banana dipped in sugarless/light sugar chocolate!! why give up sweets :wink:
  • kanikavishvesh
    kanikavishvesh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I m from india and trying to lose A LOT OF weight. But most of the members here eat meat, fish, etc. Wondering if there are any indian vegetarian guys to help me and accompany me in my healthy eating journey..:smile:

Just to clarify ... i am a vegetarian by religion and choice, not because i want to lose weight. I mentioned i am from India because lots of food here are different from other countries. So it'll help me learn a few new recipes from products available here. But guys i need all the help i can get. Thanks a lot for offering me the support.

meanwhile completely unrelated question : can i somehow pin this post so that i dont continuously need to search it out?

you can look at "my topics" to find posts you made or commented on. It is one of the blue headings at top of page when you go to message boards.

thanks sweety! figured it out stumbling around though. lol!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

You know that eating one piece of fish every once in a while doesn't mean she magically doesn't follow a vegetarian diet anymore.

The definition of vegetarian means not eating meat. Fish is meat. People that eat fish are pescatarian and by saying they are vegetarian perpetuates the idea that vegetarians eat fish. I cannot tell you how many times after I have told people in vegetarian the follow up question is "do you eat fish?"
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, and mostly vegan because the person I eat with the most is vegan. I'm getting a decent amount of protein from meat substitutes, most of them made from wheat gluten, and occasionally tofu-based things. Pretty much everything I need to log is in the database already. :) I take a "for vegans" supplement tablet, which also tastes nice and is crunchable, and an oil capsule. In the past protein has never been an issue - I mostly lacked iron and B12, and when I started taking B12 supplements they both went back to normal.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

The definition of vegetarian means not eating meat. Fish is meat. People that eat fish are pescatarian and by saying they are vegetarian perpetuates the idea that vegetarians eat fish. I cannot tell you how many times after I have told people in vegetarian the follow up question is "do you eat fish?"

I eat fish about once every two to three months (4-5 times per year?) if I'm caught hungry out-and-about and there's no veggie option or the veggie options are all awful or I'm fed up of egg mayo, but I still call myself vegetarian because if someone offers me meat or fish I pretty much say no every time, and I have to ask for the vegetarian option so much when someone else is cooking for me.

A little flexibility in the definitions makes for a happier world. :)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

I eat fish about once every two to three months (4-5 times per year?) if I'm caught hungry out-and-about and there's no veggie option or the veggie options are all awful or I'm fed up of egg mayo, but I still call myself vegetarian because if someone offers me meat or fish I pretty much say no every time, and I have to ask for the vegetarian option so much when someone else is cooking for me.

Thank you!
    I dislike how militant these definitions need to be. It's a way of eating. People do not have to follow something 100% to still be it.
    One piece of fish every once in a while, or every 2-3 months does not suddenly mean you are a pescatarian. You may not even decide to eat it that much.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

That doesn't make sense by that explanation anyone can say they are vegetarian and have a steak whenever they want. I have never been out and there's no vegetarian options even at steakhouses and bbqs.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

That doesn't make sense by that explanation anyone can say they are vegetarian and have a steak whenever they want. I have never been out and there's no vegetarian options even at steakhouses and bbqs.

Our opinion on the matter isn't going to change, so I don't see why you're still trying to convince us otherwise...

I am aware of what a vegetarian "is". It doesn't change the way I feel.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

Our opinion on the matter isn't going to change, so I don't see why you're still trying to convince us otherwise...

So I guess I'll just call myself vegan and eat cheese daily. Probably the same thing lol
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

So I guess I'll just call myself vegan and eat cheese daily. Probably the same thing lol

Sure thing.
    I do this thing called not caring how people label themselves when it comes to their eating habits. Call yourself whatever you want. How you decide to eat has no effect on my life whatsoever, so I don't care what you want to label yourself as.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores < Veggie message board here on MFP.

I'm vegetarian myself although I lean more towards eating vegan.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

This. ...I've been vegetarian for about 3 years, and anytime someone new finds out they ask that, I have to tell them no, that's a dead animal. ..
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Sure thing.
    I do this thing called not caring how people label themselves when it comes to their eating habits. Call yourself whatever you want. How you decide to eat has no effect on my life whatsoever, so I don't care what you want to label yourself as.

Okay - time to jump in the fray. I probably eat 95% vegan but I wouldn't call myself vegan. I'm still just a vegetarian. How veg*ns choose to label themselves actually impacts other veg*ns. Fish eating "vegetarians" are why some restaurants offer fish as their vegetarian option. It's why every time I tell people I'm vegetarian I get asked if I still eat chicken or fish.

Also to top it off - veganism is not just a diet. Veganism is a lifestyle. If a person wears leather but eats no animals products they are not vegan.

Personally, I think it's best to just not apply a label (which is why I usually say I follow a plant based diet).
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

Exactly, I'm a vegetarian because it disgusts me to eat dead flesh, I eat eggs and dairy but I would never think to call myself vegan even when I was eating those things rarely because it wasn't true. ...if I go out and there aren't really any options I would have a salad, even if I had to tell them to leave off the meat...because there is no way I would eat meat
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    you are not vegetarian

+1
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, but not from India. I do love Indian food, though, and cook it frequently.