Am I not meant to be a runner?

Options
124»

Replies

• Running_From_Zombies
    Options
    Enough with all this stupid *kitten*.... lace up your effin shoes and run...

Here, here.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Some runners really do come off as religious zealouts with an inability to listen to reason or other points of view.:yawn:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're joking or not. Also, what's your point?

The OP is worried about running and injuries.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have never allowed yourself to recover completely from your previous injuries and are simply aggravating / exacerbating them.

I would find a decent sports physio or physical therapist and get a decent rehab plan in place.

You may have to accept that running will be off the table for a while or in a limited capacity but the short term pain that will bring will be offset by the long term gain.

Oh, and finding Jesus may help...
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ignoring all of the off topic crap.

Anecodotal evidence is that a lot of runners wether they are heel strikers or forefoot strikers suffer injury. For beginners, the main reason for injury is too much too soon. For experienced runners it is too much too soon as well. In both cases people are trying to increase either distance, speed, or both above what their body is capable of doing safely at their current fitness level.

First, as a new runner build milage and distance slowly. I would start with walking a mile or two. Then add a short 1/8 mile run in the middle. Build from there 1/8 mile at a time. If you experience pain, do not add distance. Try same distance slower.

Also, muscle imbalance and alignment is a significant contributor. Your muscle strength and alignment will set what your body is capable of achieving. To improve strength, lift weights. For the legs you should squat, lunge, and dead lift. Those 3 also work the core well. Upper body strength is important too so bench, row, and overhead press.

For alignment, i find that yoga both post run and on its own has helped me as I ramp up my training for marathons.

For shoes, I can not give advice since I don't wear them running. Most of the advice I have seen from sports physicians though seem to indicate that neutral shoes are best. Pronation is a normal function of the body. Running stores tend to push motion control shoes to correct something that is not a problem.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Someone asked early on but OP never clarified - she said she bought top of the line motion control shoes but never said if she was fitted for them. That alone could be the issue. Motion control shoes are fantastic if you need them. If you don't, it is a pretty good chance it will lead to injury, maybe even more so than running with a neutral shoe when you need motion control.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Just FYI bad pronation can TOTALLY be a problem. I have size 15 flat feet with bunions and good running shoes make the difference between being able to run 7.5km and not being able to run a single km before the balls of my feet start screaming in pain. it's a night and day difference. And I imagine good footwear does more for others than is inherently obvious as well.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

Some runners really do come off as religious zealouts with an inability to listen to reason or other points of view.:yawn:
    Wow... that didn't sound religiously zealous at all... lol
    My point is that this thread got filled up with all kinds of crap and over-thinking a very simple concept... and I do not have the greatest faith in the so-called shoe experts... I went to three different specialty running stores where they did their thing....treadmill evaluation, blah blah blah... all they did was continue to screw me up... finally had to figure it out on my own... I needed minimalist shoes.... and even now, three years later these places still want to talk me out of them....