im scared to lose the weight

Options
I have 100+ pounds to lose and im scared of all the saggy skin im gonna have. is there a way to prevent it or decrease how much you will have? I really wanted to like the way I look naked, have sex completely naked, where a cute swim suit, etc etc. but now im havin mixed feelings about it all. andbody have success or know of someone who had success who has little or no loose skin dangling around? weight loss surgery is out of the question. its 10k

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've heard lifting can help with this and being young helps as well.
  • JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, and started my weight loss journey a year ago now. I was scared of the same thing. I was 300 pounds when I first started. I was worried I was going to be saggy, have skin that was super loose, and hate the way I looked even though I was loosing the weight. But I dropped my weight a pound or pound and a half a week, no more than that. I also did weight lift. Nothing huge or anything. 25 pounds for arms and 70 for legs (Running joke with me is I missed arm day!). I did crunches to help with my midsections, and planks. Planks have been the biggest help for me. I only did two a day, starting small about 10 seconds, one in the morning and one at night. Then I increased the time. I could see it toning me up. I am down to 246 and there is nothing sagging on me. I feel more confident about my body that I did when I started. I love the way I am looking. In fact, I am continuing on and doing to vary up my workouts to incorporate more toning. Zumba toning is a great way, kickboxing and MMA training are also two other great ways. Just loose your weight in a slow way, and do toning. You'll do great!
  • xScarlettz
    xScarlettz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you do weight training, it will help you with the skin
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ pounds to lose and im scared of all the saggy skin im gonna have. is there a way to prevent it or decrease how much you will have? I really wanted to like the way I look naked, have sex completely naked, where a cute swim suit, etc etc. but now im havin mixed feelings about it all. andbody have success or know of someone who had success who has little or no loose skin dangling around? weight loss surgery is out of the question. its 10k
    I was fat my entire life up until I was 40, with the total lost from the time I was 25 until today being a little over 80 pounds. I have been lifting heavily, and I am proud to say that my skin integrity is not bad at all at this point. I still have some belly fat, which may also be some extra skin, but it all seems to get better as time goes on.

Have you thought of lifting heavy?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    After being a fat kid, I lost about 60 pounds in my mid-20s. I did it slowly while doing cardio 3-4 times a week (plus walking for transportation) and lifting weights twice a week. I didn't have anything saggy, other than a tiny bit of remaining bellyfat and a few stretch marks.

I then gained that weight back, with some extra, in my 30s and early 40s. I've taken off about 60 lb. over the last 20 months, and I haven't noticed any saggy skin.

Everyone is different, but if you take it slowly and lift weights, you'll minimize the risk.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Genetics and therefore luck play a role. But you will have greater chance of success if you follow these steps.

1. Eat healthy. Lots of green veg nuts, lean meats. Try and make every calorie count.

2. Don't starve yourself. Really just don't

3. Exercise Exercise Exercise. Weight lifting especially focus on big heavy compound movements like deadlifts rows and squats. Though cardio is important too.

4. Avoid the pool. Your skin hates chlorine.

5. Don't sunbathe or use a tan machine under any circumstances.

These steps can help keep whatever your gonna get to a minimum. But you can still be unlucky. But don't be afraid. I mean what are you afraid of. If you look bad now you will still look better and you will be ten times healthier and trust me being healthy is about than being able to run 10km or do 20 push ups. Being healthy feels awesome.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lose over 100 lbs total, so far have lost over 60...but it's been over a few years, like others say, slow n steady, lots of water n strength training. ...but a lot of it is genetics unfortunately
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    Hi Jenny!

The human body is an amazing piece of work. Without thinking your body will take a breath, fight an infection, and digest your food all at one time! Our bodies are also designed to adapt to our environment and our lifestyle. Think of a mechanic's hands compared to an office secretary. The mechanic's hands will be harder, stronger than those of a secretary. That adaptation happens over a period of time just like you and your body has adapted to your diet considerations over a period of time. The point of telling you all of this is the key is to lose the weight over time. Incorporate the suggestions from others in the post as for keeping up your activity, eating healthy, and avoiding harsh chemicals, but also lose weight over a period of time. 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week is considered a healthy pace. This allows your body, and your skin, to adapt to the changes.

As someone who lost over 200 pounds I will admit I do have a mild case of loose skin. Mild enough that no one can notice when I am wearing any sort of clothing. I often get complimented that people are amazed that I do not have loose skin however I know it's there. With that said, I can assure you I feel much more confident with my body now than I ever did with the extra weight. It's such an awesome experience looking into a mirror and appreciating who's looking back at you. Personally, I'll take extra skin over 200 pounds of extra fat any day. I'm proud of my loose skin!

Hope this helps!
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Lifting, moisturizing, and exfoliating. other then that I think the rest depends on genetics, age, and skin elasticity. I have a little loose skin after losing almost 100 lbs but I will take that over the 100 lbs of weight any day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds in about a year and my stomach is a disaster. I was obese for 10 years (I'm 36) before I lost them, and my skin sucks (doesn't heal easily etc), and I had stretch marks, so strength training in my case hasn't prevented it at all... I'm guessing I have 3 pounds of loose skin and subcutaneous fat on my stomach.

It has a lot to do with genetics I'm afraid, but I'd still take the loose skin over the extra fat any day.
  • jennybinney1987
    jennybinney1987 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, this makes me feel sooo much better :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    is there a way to prevent it or decrease how much you will have?

Lose it sooner rather than later and while you are younger. You might be lucky at your age.

I'm sure I'll end up with some loose skin (mostly in the mid section), although I'm hoping it gets better over time, but I already look and feel a ton better than at my heaviest. It's no reason not to pursue weight loss.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    chances are you're going to have some loose skin. weight lifting can help, as the muscle will replace the fat in some areas, so help fill out the skin in a more appealing, firmer way. on the other hand, in my case it was stay younger-looking but with diabetes and high blood pressure or end up looking less firm. like newmeadow says, worst case scenario is you'll look better in clothes.