1200 calories...more than just veggies & protein?

Options
So I've been TRYING to stay within my calories and I have yet to accomplish this. It seems the only way to do it is to eat strictly protein and veggies. Is there any other way? Once you stray away from those things the calories add up, even if you eat something simple like a WASA cracker. So someone PLEASE tell me: How the heck do you stay within 1200 calories?

Replies

• RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    Options
    I don't know. Being on this site has been very educational for me. I learned that I just don't love chips and salsa that much (600+), baked chicken, veg and potatoes, steak and potatoes. a sandwich, the stuff my grandparents ate seems to work. But, today I was really surprised to find the veggie, fruit, almond milk smoothie I was eating was a thousand calories!! Whatever, Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do 1200 calories. Are you sure that it's an appropriate goal for you? You're just starting out and you've got a long way to go, so in my opinion you should set up a plan that you can see yourself being able to stick to long term. Read this link for starters:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of really low cal, high quality food that can be prepared at home, or chosen carefully. I am Indian and vegetarian and gosh, there are so many options that I am just realizing.

1 cup cooked rice is only 200 or so calories. Add some veggies, seasoning to make it a thai, chinese or indian dish.
    Indian rotis or most tortillas are low in calories and can be high in fiber
    Add veggies, cheese, eggs and various sauces to tortillas to make super yummy wraps.
    Crepes made of various lentils are very good. I am Indian, so it translates to food such as rice crepes, green gram crepes etc (called dosas)
    Take some garbanzo beans in a can, drain and rinse. Throw it in a skillet with a little bit of oil and salt (and any seasoning you like) to make a very tasty and healthy snack. You can do the same with any kind of beans - kidney beans, black beans etc.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    So someone PLEASE tell me: How the heck do you stay within 1200 calories?

The short answer is you don't (unless you are literally 4'11" or 5', totally sedentary and aged like 65+).
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    a lot of people will say that you will do nothing but starve at 1200 calories... but that'about what i eat most days and while i do eat a lot of fruit, veggies and fish... but i also eat bread, wraps, rice, quinoa, cheese (i love me some cheese), crackers, etc... just tonight i made homemade guacamole and served it up with tortilla chips.. for me, it's about portions. before, i would have eaten half the bag of chips or more... cause they tasted good and it wasn't a matter of being hungry.... but 13 chips was plenty, topped with yummy, healthy guacamole.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    that's not what i was implying. the OP asked a question - 'how do YOU do it-, and i answered it.
  • Drunkenturtlechallenge
    Options
    I am not particularly good at this myself, but the days that I do manage it are the days where i get off my butt and go workout.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    With 100lbs to lose, it's really not necessary to stick to 1200 cal. You could do like 1600 and lose at a good rate, I'd guess.

I eat at 1500/day, and the only times I've felt like I could have been satisfied at 1200 are days that are primarily made up of veggies and lean protein, with no treats whatsoever. That's really not sustainable for me. I'd much rather eat at 1500 and be satisfied and get to eat peanut butter now and then.
  • JLoescher01
    JLoescher01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    a lot of people will say that you will do nothing but starve at 1200 calories... but that'about what i eat most days and while i do eat a lot of fruit, veggies and fish... but i also eat bread, wraps, rice, quinoa, cheese (i love me some cheese), crackers, etc... just tonight i made homemade guacamole and served it up with tortilla chips.. for me, it's about portions. before, i would have eaten half the bag of chips or more... cause they tasted good and it wasn't a matter of being hungry.... but 13 chips was plenty, topped with yummy, healthy guacamole.

I agree with this. I stay around 1200 and have a variety of food, too. Portion control is a big thing.
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for a little over a week, feel free to check out my diary. It could be that 1200 is just too low for you and you should add a few hundred. Either way, good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    don't forget low fat dairy
    drink lots

and yes, 1200 may not be appropriate for you.

Whenever I go that low (very rarely and for very short time periods) I do just eat protein and veg as all I'm focused on is getting enough protein (while being in a large deficit) to maintain LBM.
  • bmelloman1
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 calories, I actually like staying around 1300 calories. And no I don't starve myself. I actually eat quiet a lot. But I do love salads and veggies. But you also have to give yourself allowances. If you want something, portion it out. The idea isn't about starving yourself to lose the weight. It's about changing your life. The way you eat for the rest of your life. There will be days your gonna want a slice of pizza or chesseburger. Your just going to need to learn how to limit your portions. After doing this for a while it does get easier.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    So someone PLEASE tell me: How the heck do you stay within 1200 calories?

The short answer is you don't (unless you are literally 4'11" or 5', totally sedentary and aged like 65+).

^^ This.

As a short person (4'9 and now maintaining) who works damn hard to be able to eat lots of food, if you are taller and are able to eat more and lose - do it.

Stupid short genes... :grumble: :laugh:

That said, if you are adamant about sticking to 1200, portion control is key, low-fat dairy is good and get a decent level of protein and fats in your diet.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Perhaps 1,200 is too low for you, considering your activity levels and already feeling tired. I would suggest contacting your doctor and having your bloodwork checked, just to be sure everything is okay. It could be that you are low in something and by taking a supplement you could feel much better. I'm learning low cal ideas from my friends, and you can try the same. It's interesting to look at your friends' food diary. Take care.
  • Perazzi
    Options
    answer? exercise the difference off....
  • bmelloman1
    Options
    Considering the site is telling me in order to lose 2lbs a week I should only eat 1400. I don't see the problem with it. It's not always what you eat. I don't eat junk food. But I do enjoy beer and steak. But last I knew its not the food you make that makes the man.