What's your excuse?

Options
Today I hit a milestone in my weightloss journey! I am down 75 pounds! I have tons of excuses for why I was fat.

1. I just had a baby. My daughter is 6 months old.
2. I have kids. Yup, I have 5 of them.
3. I'm in school. Just graduated a month ago with a Master of Education.
4. I work full time. So, while in Grad school and delivering a baby- I also interned full-time without pay.
5. I'm depressed. Yup- and medicated daily.
6. I have a thyroid condition. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis has killed my thyroid making me hypothyroid for the rest of my life.
7. I have PCOS. For years- which attributed to number 8.
8. I suffer from infertility issues and must go through months of hormone shots and procedures to have these babies!
9. I just had surgery. A tubal ligation on the day of delivery 6 months ago. No more births for us.
10. I have bad knees. Three surgeries on my left knee- an acl reconstruction and left meniscus repair.
11. I don't have much money. Just 1 income here for 2 adults and 5 kids.
12. I'm too busy. See 1-11.

I still did it and so can you! So, what's your excuse?

Replies

• bangarangbree
    Options
    You are amazing! I don't think anyone's excuses can compare to that!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    1) I had a kid---- She's 5 now
    2) I don't have time --- I work nights and my days are spent with My baby and the cleaning house
    3) I'm not that bad --- Just watch what I eat for a couple of days and it will go away
    4) I'm broke ---- I don't have the money to hit a gym
    5) I have a family to feed --- they only want the bad stuff to eat

The list goes on and on and on... but I'm here and I'm up to a total loss of 30 pound. Lost 25 pounds (gained back 10 in 3 months) lost 5 pounds and still going!
  • fitmom125
    Options
    My excuse was just plain ignorance. I didn't know how to eat right, but now I'm becoming more educated on how to eat and excercise. Thanks to MFP I'm no longer ignorant and I'm on my way to being fit again.
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss!

My excuses...
    * I'm hungry
    * It tastes good
    * I'm in a hurry
    * I'll do it later
    * I'm too tired to go to the gym / anywhere to exercise
    * I deserve a treat every once in a while (once in a while meaning every day)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks! I promise that I do not have super powers, good genes, or good luck. I made the decision that NO MATTER WHAT I would work hard and not quit. I never believed in myself. I still remember the first pound that came off... And I still never thought I would see this day. I kept logging even though I wanted to quit several times. Enough was enough! I wanted my life back and now I am the healthiest I have been in my life. It is worth it! I want everyone to have this feeling. No matter what, vow to yourself that you will not quit! You can do it! If I can, anyone can.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    My excuse is that I didn't realize that averaging 78 extra calories a day would lead to 8 lbs gained a year. Multiply that by 10 years and you have me now. Luckily it is so easy to keep track now.
  • shimmra
    Options
    My excuses:

1) I'm tired
    2) I'll start next week
    3) I don't have time with exams and coursework
    4) The gym is miles away and I don't have a car
    5) It's raining
    6) I'ts just a a small treat

All pretty rubbish to be honest. I think though when health and your work starts being affected these fall away. Let the weight roll off!
  • Sunny_Skies
    Options
    My excuses were...

- I'm too tired.
    - I don't have time.
    - I'm happy the way I am (BIG LIE!)
    - I can start later.

But now I'm in it for good. No more excuses!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My excuses:
    1) I work full time (often more) at night from 11pm-7am
    2) I am a full time college student needing to keep my grades up for law school
    3) I am TIRED every day (I average 3-5 hours of sleep a day if I am lucky and never at once)
    4) I feel like I have to choose between food and sleep most days let alone exercise!
    5) I dont have time to eat so I usually dont eat enough
    6) I am picky. I dont like much (as in not even a single veggie)
    7) I hate to exercise! Cardio is hard on my lungs (ex-smoker)
    8) I dont understand the machines at the gym

So despite my excuses I have lost 18 lbs. It's a small amount compared to many others but its huge for me. Yeah I work and go to school which presents a large challenge for me. I really am tired all the time. I still find the time to go to the gym at least once a week with my trainer and I have a treadmill at home for the other days. The treadmill at home helps with #7; I dont look like a struggling fool at the gym! The trainer helps with #8. I just joined a program at work that set me up with a dietitian so that should help with #6.

I know I can do better. Some weeks (especially the farther into the semester I get) I am only in the gym once and never on the treadmill. I'll continue to push past my excuses and recognize them for what they are, excuses!

And on that note I am off to school with a no-doz to make it through.
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    *picks jaw off the floor* .... Amazing! im speechless!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1. I'm tired every day because I can never get a good night sleep
    2. I have a big frame so I carry my weight well
    3. I work full time and go to grad school in the evenings
    4. I can't eat "just a salad"
    5. I had surgery on my back and I'm afraid to hurt it again
    6. If I've already messed up one meal I might as well ruin the rest of them
    7. I don't look that much different
    8. It won't take much time to lose the weight so I can eat whatever I want
    9. Everyone else can eat the bad food and not gain weight

Notice the trend of denial here? I got into the habit of thinking I only had 10 pounds to lose when in reality it's closer to 100.

That being said, an extremely busy and stressful lifestyle can wreak havoc on your diet. It's hard to eat 6 times a day when you're constantly busy and you miss important meals because you have a 2 hour commute in the evenings. Your post was very inspirational and I really appreciated it. It helps knowing that other people are going through what I am or even, maybe, a little worse. :smile:
  • jazze916
    Options
    thats fantastic! :) congratulations! Can u give me advice, do u eat your exsersize calories?
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
    My Excuses.......

1. Just one more pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream, then I will start tomorrow which never comes!
    2. I'm always hungry
    3. Where so I start?
    4. I have so much to lose
    5. I will never be able to lose 150 pounds
    6. I love food too much
    7. Nobody cares!
    8. I'm tired of dieting
    9. Iv'e failed too many times before
    AND the best one,
    10. WHY BOTHER!

This time I will be sucessful and reach my goals. I have made a decision to start living and not just exsisting! NO MORE EXCUSES! NO MORE EXCUSES! NO MORE EXCUSES!
  • healthyme2be
    Options
    Congrats...

My excuses (as follows)

1. I have a toddler - 2 1/2 years old, a husband and two dogs
    2. I work full time (early mornings til late evening)
    3. I don't have the energy to cook (or do anything else for that matter)
    4. I'm tired & exhausted
    5. I have too much to do around the house
    6. I had cake today..guess ill have to start over tomorrow since i screwed up already
    7. I'm too busy
    8. I gained to much weight to lose it
    9. I have no control
    10. Of course, I love food too much. Why give anything up?
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Congrats as well -

Here goes my list

1. I have a toddler - he will be 3 next month.
    2. I work full - time
    3. I'm tired all the time
    4. I love alcohol.
    5. I can start over tomorrow - then tomorrow I repeat the samething
    6. STRESS
    7. Healthy food does not taste as good as junk.
    8. I can "run" it off later - later never comes.

Sad part is I actually exercise, its the eating and drinking ...ugh .... I have lost about 10 pounds and I "think" I have about 10 more to go .... the peanut gallerty says otherwise ...shrugs
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Heres My Excuses

1. I am a single mom
    2. I work full time
    3. I go to school
    4. I cant afford the heathly food and someone else is helping me with groceries so beggers cant be choosers
    5. Ill excersize later
    6. I have homework
    7. my daughter has homework
    8. Im not worth it and I dont care
    9. Its not that bad
    10. Ill get up early to work out tomarrow but hit snooze or end up doing homework
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    thats fantastic! :) congratulations! Can u give me advice, do u eat your exsersize calories?

I eat every single exercise calorie. I try to stay as close to my net goal as possible for the week. Doing this takes the "OMG I've gone over today" mentality out of it. I upped my calories and started eating every exercise calorie. It has taken me months to figure out what works best for me and everyone will be different based on activity level and metabolism.

The weekly tab on the app is awesome!
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    Thank you everyone! 6.8 pounds and a lifetime of health to go. So happy I didn't quit... coming up on my 6 month anniversary on MFP!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    my excuses
    im tired
    im bored
    im stressed
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Here are my excuses
    - I am to tired, I get maybe 5 hours sleep a day
    - I have 4 kids and a husband who are "allergic" to eating healthy, so when I do diet I am on my own
    - I am a full time college student, so I am always studying to get better grades
    - My husband loves me the way I am, But I don't love me the way I am
    - Excercise is boring
    - I don't have time
    - I have a special needs child and I am always going to doctors appointments
    - I'll just fail anyways so why try

But this time, I am done. Support from my family or no, I am going to lose weight. Since December 6, 2010 I have gone from 343 to 332. That might not seem like alot of weight for some, but for me, it is amazing. I push myself everyday to get in at least 30 minutes of something that gets my heart rate up. I am doing this for me, so I can be a better mom. I am so unhappy with me right now that I feel like my kids do not have the mom that they deserve. I don't have the energy to do the things that they want. I am also sick of buying jeans that cost me $100. I can do this. I will do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!