Water weight and tips for successful weight loss?

Options
Hi there,

I don't know if I'm in the right forum, but here goes.

I started eating healthy and doing weight training at the gym about a month ago and weighed ~93kg(205lbs).

I only lost about 1-1.5kg (3lbs) but gained a lot of strength, so last week I started using MFP to track every single thing I ate. I ended up needing to eat 1,310 cals to lose 1kg(2,2lbs) a week.

Today, I weighed in at 89kg(196lbs) and would just like to know how much of this was water weight/muscle loss?

As I don't think it's normal to lose 2.5kg(6lbs) in a week.

My goal is to lose fat and maintain the little muscle I have, so if anyone can provide me any tips for successful weight loss, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

p.s. My food diary is open

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense for a guy weighing 93kg to eat only 1300 calories per day. Its plain stupid. You need to eat more.

If you have not lost as much weight as you think you should there are other reasons. You need to eat more.

Find another calorie calculator. One that measures your TDEE.

I'll have a look at your food diary.

Also i suggest if your want to build muscle and lose fat, read a book on the subject and weight training and weightloss. You won't learn all that you need to know from this forum. It will just confuse you.

if you just want to lose weight but keep your muscle in tact, then you don't need to do that much exercise. Your focus should be improving the quality of your diet.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eat some food man I weigh 190 pounds and eat over 2000 calories. Nearer 3000 on heavy run days and lose weight. If you don't eat enough you'll lose far more muscle. And likely put the weight back on because its not sustainable. You will lose muscle when your losing weight that you can't stop that but the idea is to minimise that , that means eating enough food which you aren't going
  • Chilledbro
    Chilledbro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't get it. My lifestyle is sedentary so I punched in my figures and MFP came up with:

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity = 2,370 cal/day
    Your Daily Goal = 1,310 cal/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit = 1,060 calories
    Projected Weight Loss = 1 kg/week

I definitely eat my exercise calories back and getting a heart rate monitor watch to be more accurate!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are you adding quick add cals to meet the 1200 calorie goal... if you arent EATING the calories why are you logging them!?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A) 1300 calories is not enought.
    B) you are carbs crashing.

Weight lost is probably all from muscles and none form fat.
  • Chilledbro
    Options
    HAHA just to complete the entry. I hate when the "Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough" pops up.

I sometimes don't feel hungry and just go to sleep.
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For the weight you are 93kg 1300 Cal is low, when doing training aswell, I think you need to up the cal a little and play with the number, but dont do fast cals eat more meal.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Your body is the ultimate arbiter in this. MFP don't know jack compared to your body. If you are losing 6lbs a week average then your deficit is about 3000 calories. For someone lean like you that is totally mental. And probably mostly muscle. You need to realize that you are Anorexic or teetering close to Anorexia. At the moment weight loss is the least of your worries. You do NOT want an eating disorder. I am a pathological comfort eater. Which is like the other side of Anorexia. And believe me that's been hard but I would rather be what I am than Anorexic. All I've done is wear down my joints a bit and loosened my skin up. You could end up with brittle bones and organ problems.

I will never forget the talk I had with a recovering Anorexic man. he couldn't put on any muscle because he couldn't exercise. The cells in his bones had totally broken down. To the extent that the cells that cause his bones to constantly repair themselves just don't respond much anymore. Which means that even 20 minutes gentle walking has his bones hurting. A bad fall would probably result in broken bones. As a result even trying to put on weight he has difficulty putting on anything BUT fat. Because he just can't get the stimulation he needs to build muscle.

There are worse things in this world than being chubby.
  • Chilledbro
    Options
    I also factor in my exercise calories as well! So if I do a hard workout then I eat more!
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Your not listening your body is the ultimate arbiter. If you are losing 6lb a week on AVERAGE (It's normal to have the occasional week where you drop shedloads) then what you are doing is destructive. You are either underestimating what you eat or what you burn or just plain not eating enough.

i mean honestly Im a 227 lb man and I dropped about 6lb this week. (Was 232) But I ran 7.5km yesterday. If I don't put some of that back on I will be worried I am not eating enough. And I have fat reserves. Which are usually enough to prevent the worst kinds of damage. Someone like you is playing a far more dangerous game. at least if that weight loss is average for you. If it's just a rogue week then it's just a rogue week.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    HAHA just to complete the entry. I hate when the "Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough" pops up.

I sometimes don't feel hungry and just go to sleep.

you think starving yourself is funny... oooohkaaaaaay.... :noway:
  • Chilledbro
    Options
    I'm not losing 6lbs a week on average, this was just random, I only lost like 1-1.5kgs (3lbs) last month. And I'm no way Anorexic, my BMI is 28 = overweight
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I'm not losing 6lbs a week on average, this was just random, I only lost like 1-1.5kgs (3lbs) last month. And I'm no way Anorexic, my BMI is 28 = overweight

so you think MFP has that warning as a joke?

yes, if you're very overweight you can sustain a larger deficit but it is VERY unlikely that you can get adequate nutrition on less than 1200 cals... but if you wanna do it the hard way and end up looking squishy and soft once you've lost 30lbs, you crack on!
  • Chilledbro
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'll take it all in and hopefully be successful.

Good luck in all your fitness endeavors.

Cheers.
  • RHachicho
    Options
    Just fyi you can be anorexic and fat. It's unusual but it does happen especially to fat people who lose a lot of weight.

Anorexia is becoming so afraid to put on weight and so in love with losing weight that you find it difficult or impossible to eat properly.