Why is 1200 calories so hard!?

Options
Does anyone else find that it's super hard to stay under 1200 calories without working out, especially on the weekend if you are at someone's house or out To eat.

How do you plan out your calories? Any tips?

I'm getting frustrated not eating when I'm Hungry so that I can save calories for a BBQ or whatever is going on.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Don't stay UNDER 1200. Its rarely practical or possible.

I save my calories for a special occasion but I don't starve myself in the interim.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Well....1200 is jack **** for one...a typical meal out at a restaurant approaches 1200 calories...so yeah....eating like a bird ****ing sucks I would imagine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The only info available from your profile is that you are a 25 yr old female.

I am 41, so chances are my metabolism is slower than yours. I am 5'4" and fairly petite, so I am on the small size. And I am eating 1400-1700 cals a day and losing @ half a pound a week.

1200 calories is probably so hard because it is not enough food!

It looks like you only have 12 lbs to lose. If that is the case, you should set your goal to half a pound a week. This gives you a satisfying amount of food, enough fuel for exercise, and realistic time frame to lose slow and steady so you can keep the weight off once you reach goal.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Good luck!
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Overall, it's really not a satisfying amount of calories, tbh. Are you sure you require that little for your weight goal? You may have entered some of your info inaccurately.

When I first joined, I underestimated my level of activity and I was given 1200 calories, which was difficult to maintain. I adjusted my settings and have been maintaining on ~1500 give or take a bit.
  • k_wat4264
    k_wat4264 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" currently 127. I workout 4x a week but work a desk job. 1200 is what MFP recommend. How do I know how much I should be eating then?

I am looking to loose 10-15 lbs
  • Keyeno
    Options
    Try this instead. >
    I used this - http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    and manually inputted my calorie needs to lose weight for MFP.

Subtracting 20% from my TDEE.
    So far it's working for me at least. :)

Change Goals - Custom
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Because it's not enough food
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    MFP tells everyone to eat 1200 cals regardless of their weight/height/gender or whatever. You need to work out your own needs. I used Scooby's calculator as advised by someone from the forums and its great http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/.

The majority of us on here eat way more than 1200 calories and still manage to lose weight but also enjoy our lives in the mean time by being able to eat decent meals and enjoy ourselves socially.
  • k_wat4264
    Options
    I just used the TDEE calculator and with subtracting the 20% is says 1500. I admit that I'm nervous to see if I'm just wasting time or if it actually works. Thanks for the advice
  • karenj_m
    Options
    Your BMI is smack in the middle for your stats --- why do you need to lose weight?

If its because of jiggly-wiggly stuff, then lift weights 3x per week.
  • k_wat4264
    Options
    I am not looking to be stick thin. Everyone Carrys their weight differently so stats don't tell the whole story. The simple answer is I'm looking to lower my body fat percentage.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten under 1600. 1200 is way too little for most people.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am not looking to be stick thin. Everyone Carrys their weight differently so stats don't tell the whole story. The simple answer is I'm looking to lower my body fat percentage.

You're not going to lower your body fat percentage eating under 1200 calories per day. All you're going to do is end up eating away at your existing muscle and look basically the same as you do now with a lower number on the scale.

To lose body fat while retaining lean muscle, you need to eat at maintenance or a slight deficit (5-10%), get lots of protein, and lift heavy weights. Depending on your current BF%, a bulk and cut cycle might be appropriate as well.
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP started me out on 1200 cals per day - I only want to lose about 7lb and I'm not overweight, just developing a bit of a spare tyre.

I found it almost impossible to stay within 1200, and after reading up on here, I worked out my TDEE and now I'm on 1480 per day - much better and I'm losing at about 0.5-1lb per week. I also eat back all my calories from exercise (mostly in maltesers and wine mmmmmmmmmmm).

I'd up your calories if I were you.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Y will be better off upping your calories and lifting heavy to get more toned...definitely don't eat under 1200 it's not enough food...I'm your height and currently at 170 looking to get to about 140ish in the healthy range, I couldn't see myself being 115 without looking too thin.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I just used the TDEE calculator and with subtracting the 20% is says 1500. I admit that I'm nervous to see if I'm just wasting time or if it actually works. Thanks for the advice

20% deficit for so little to lose? Let me guess, you probably told MFP you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week as well.