I don't get it?

Options
I have been having 'relative' success for a while - I go up and down like a yo yo but I have been losing. Then the last two weeks I have been gaining. I have been exercising, started a new workout regime and have been relatively good. Some days I find it hard to eat anything at all because my appetite is suppressed by pain (I have gallbladder disease but that sucker is about to come out in 2 weeks) and I try and eat healthily, mostly home made. Lots of salads, no fruit juice, as much water as I can manage even though I LOATHE the chemical taste of it here, you can taste the chalk, lime and whatever else they leave in because it's 'good' for us. And yet this week and last I had a gain, last week it was half a pound, this week a pound and a half. I don't know what I am doing wrong! I have opened up my diary...I am going to my doctor this week as I need to speak to him about my op but as he is just 'calories in vs energy expended' though less judgemental than my old GP that's not much help, if you look at my diary you can see that I don't take in more than I use...mostly because right now I struggle to eat fullstop.

Replies

• jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but looking at your diary, you're not tracking carbs nor sugar, which can lead to weight gain if you're substantially over your daily allowance. Also, if your diet's high in sodium, those .5 and 1.5 gains could just be water, which should work itself out over the long run.

I hope that helps. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but looking at your diary, you're not tracking carbs nor sugar, which can lead to weight gain if you're substantially over your daily allowance. Also, if your diet's high in sodium, those .5 and 1.5 gains could just be water, which should work itself out over the long run.

Sodium can certainly cause water weight retention.

However..... If you at a calorie deficit, barring medical issues, you will still lose regardless of sugar and carbs. People really need to stop fearing carbs. Did you know studies have shown that our brains need glucose as an energy source? The body can't just magically turn something else (fat/protein) into glucose. Also- fruits and veggies contain carbohydrates- I don't think any do for would reccomend not eating those.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are logging accurately, you are not eating enough. Your stats aren't visible, but regardless, 1,000 calories or less a day is not enough to fuel your body, especially if you are working out.

Having said that, you mentioned that your medical condition is affecting your diet. Obviously, I have no business speaking to that. But maybe you should take it easy and just focus on getting enough nutrition until your surgery? Also keep in mind, if it is affecting your appetite, it could be messing with all sorts of things that would affect your weight, like water retention, digestion, etc. The new workout could be causing water retention too.

Personally, if it were me, I would save the new workout until after recovering from the surgery, and focus on staying generally active or walking, and eating right until then. Whatever you decide, good luck with your surgery and your weight loss! And take good care of yourself :smile:
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    "can lead to weight gain if you're substantially over your daily allowance"

I didn't say don't eat them. Depending on how your body deals with carbs and sugar, it can cause problems. Just like some people's bodies process cholesterol better than others. As I said, I'm no expert, but I'd say it's not a bad idea to just make sure her daily goals are in line.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    You mentioned you struggle to eat but are you measuring and logging absolutely everything? You seem to have some large gaps in your food diary.

I would also be careful with the exercise calories, as MFP seems to overestimate. This is especially problematic if you are "eating back" your exercise calories. Some people budget to eat back 50% of their exercise calories to account for this.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The body will start working with you better after the gallbladder is out. Take it easy. Good luck with the surgery.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1. Eat less and/or move more

2. Repeat until the weight starts coming off.

Keep tracking everything and discuss with the doctor as you go.

You can do this. Keep going!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you mentioned you started a new exercise regime and have had internal pain

both of these are all things that can cause you retain water
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options

The only carbs I consume are those that are found naturally in the foods - I don't eat potatoes, only eat wholemeal bread and pasta (both of which I dislike) and currently I am not eating fruit as I love the acidity of it but with really bad acid reflux due to my gallbladder issues I am avoiding them. I don't eat fruit yogurts (just fat free greek yogurt) and no refined sugars of flours at all. Everything I eat is recorded in my daily planner, I weigh absolutely everything that goes in my mouth (makes for a blinking long prep process).
  • carinthea
    Options
    You mentioned you struggle to eat but are you measuring and logging absolutely everything? You seem to have some large gaps in your food diary.

I would also be careful with the exercise calories, as MFP seems to overestimate. This is especially problematic if you are "eating back" your exercise calories. Some people budget to eat back 50% of their exercise calories to account for this.

These large gaps are where I have been unable to eat due to zero appetite (I honestly have to say that I never thought I would look forward to surgery ever, but right now I can't wait). The exercise I log (apart from the cycling and walking which are my daily commute) are all measured with my HRM, I input it myself and wear the thing religiously whilst exercising as I feel that MFP is way too generous in their estimations.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Either you're underlogging what you're eating or it would be from water gains, which would make more sense if you have gallbladder disease. The body would use the excess water to help with keeping cells healthy and try to repair old cells. And according to your logs you drink a lot of water, so it'd make sense to hold onto that rather than for all of it to be sweated out.

I wouldn't worry about it unless after your surgery you still have the problem with gaining weight; then it's more likely an underlog of calories.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Once your Gallbladder is out, you should lose - I did, friends did...
  • Pippa_ttc
    Pippa_ttc Posts: 40 Member
    Options

:sick: :yawn:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight before my period. Is yours due anytime soon? Also I hate the taste of the water here too, so I drink bottled water. Yeah it costs me $4 every other week or something, but that's not the end of the world.
  • carinthea
    Options

Keep tracking everything and discuss with the doctor as you go.

You can do this. Keep going!

Thank you - but as you can see from my open diary I am not exactly inactive and I consume rarely more than 1200 calories in a day.