Not drinking and dating

Options
Right this post my seem a little pathetic. I'm doing a 90 day health challenge and I know that not drinking is going to be the thing I struggle with most.

Also I hate the idea of going on a date and saying "I'm not drinking" especially living in London where there is such a large pressure.

Does anyone have any good date ideas? Or any alternatives to just getting drunk???

Thanks. X x

Replies

• wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    You should never have to explain why you aren't drinking on a date. So you don't order a drink, big deal? Find an activity to do where there isn't an option to order a drink if you feel it will be a problem. A museum or a physical activity maybe? As for any alternatives to getting drunk... enjoy life sober?
  • adman50
    adman50 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink for the best part of a year when I was losing weight.

IMO if you just explain why you are not drinking then most people are usually on board. If they aren't then they aren't for you.

Don't compromise on your goals to accommodate other people.

As for other ideas the zoo is probably my favourite!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Drugs are a pretty good alternative to drinking and on top of it calories / guilt free!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Right this post my seem a little pathetic. I'm doing a 90 day health challenge and I know that not drinking is going to be the thing I struggle with most.

Also I hate the idea of going on a date and saying "I'm not drinking" especially living in London where there is such a large pressure.

Does anyone have any good date ideas? Or any alternatives to just getting drunk???

Thanks. X x

looks like you'll just have to bang random men while sober for 90 days! :laugh:
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've not drank any alcohol for over two years, I just made a conscious decision to cut it out as I got no enjoyment from it. You shouldn't need to justify not drinking to anyone. If you feel you have to, you're probably with the wrong person. Anyone who feels alcohol is necessary should probably seek professional help. Drink water, diet coke, soft drinks when in a bar - if that's not acceptable to the person you're with, move on. If being on a date with an attractive woman isn't enough for someone, then they're just stupid anyway.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Thanks. X x

:laugh: CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP :laugh:
  • kat_snowflake
    kat_snowflake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Remember: You live in London - anything goes!

(I'm writing this from the point of view of having lived in London for ten years or so during my twenties/thirties and also from the point of never having had drinks when going out because I just never liked the taste of alcohol).

If you don't make an issue out of it, there is a good chance nobody else will.

When ordering a drink just say "Mine's a diet coke/coke/orange juice/fruit cocktail/hot chocolate" - don't give an explanation, don't apologise. That's what you want if somebody has a problem with it or finds it odd then they have to bring it up which chances are they might not.

Also - do you really want to date somebody who is trying to pressurise you into drinking or makes you feel awkward for not drinking?

In terms of doing things which aren't centred too much around social drinking for a date maybe the following might work for you:

* Going ice skating in Alexandra Palace
    * Take a walk around Primrose Hill/Regents Park/Hampstead Heath and bring a picnic basket
    * Go for a film & then go for sushi
    * Take a salsa/merengue/lambada class (Bar Salsa on Charing Cross is pretty good for that) and then just do a lot of dancing for the rest of the night
    * Do a "Learn of Snowboard/Ski" in a day class at the Snowdome in Hemel Hempstead (about half an hour on the train from Euston Station and then maybe a fiver or so for a taxi unless you fancy a half hour walk) (or any other course really - freestyle, bumps training, focused improvers/coaching classes - InsideOut Skiing is pretty good).
    *Go to the theatre or musical
    *Go for coffee dates in the afternoon

Most of all just chillax, enjoy yourself and have fun!
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If they pressure you to drink, then you have a built in litmus test for whether they are a good fit or not.
    You don't need to offer any explanation.
    You live in London , so here are my date ideas:
    1 Go to the Dr Who Museum.
    2. Go to the theater when David Tennant is performing anything Shakespere
    3. Go on the Dr Who tardis ride
    4. Go on the Dr Who tour where you can see where the episodes were filmed.

Oh, sorry, that would be if you were dating ME. :/
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean babes! When I am trying to be good - The girls always want me to go on big nights out, to get drunk. But I don't want too!!!

But if its the calories your worried about hun - I would make them fit into your allowance. I drink vodka & diet coke which is about 60 calories I think.

If you just don't want to drink alcohol at all for 90 days, either just say your doing a 'no drinking' challenge & order lime and soda or something. So what, who cares what others think.

I know what you mean though
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    that is a good question but yes perhaps try and find alternative activies
    an amusement park, the beach, rollerrink
    bowling, a movie, comedy club etc.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Why not date someone who is also health-conscious?

Thanks. X x

:laugh:
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it in moderation. Allow yourself two drinks that night. Have a skinny margarita,or another low cal drink. Hey, a single glass of red wine is considered healthy! Keep a mineral water with a lime in your hand between the two drinks, and after you have finished your allotment.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

LMFAO!
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I own a restaurant/bar. Go there often, sit at the bar and, this is a small town so everyone knows each other and people want to drink with me. So this is what I've done: I've created several "drinks". I have given then cocktail names but they are non-alcoholic. I order those and no one is the wiser. So I'm drinking stuff like ice tea, or passion fruit puree with club soda and people probably think I'm a lush :laugh:

Just plan ahead with bartenders and you'll be golden.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just plan ahead with bartenders and you'll be golden.

:huh:

really!? not wanting to drink alcohol is hardly something you should have to hide... how ridiculous!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    If a guy's idea of a date is to get drunk then he's a pathetic loser not worth your time or energy.

If you can't think of ways to have fun that don't involve drinking then you need serious help.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    shows how sad our society has become where it''s considered 'weird' and people give you funny looks for not wanting to put what is essentially poison down your throat just to have a good time
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    *creeps OPer's profile*

*reconsiders his reply*

Look, most men are going to think you're weird if you don't drink but you shouldn't have to feel social pressure so here's what I'll do. We'll have to date and I'll turn a blind eye to you not drinking.