6000 kcal yesterday!

Options
I decided to add up my kcal from a weekend binge day... it came to 6000 kcal. I knew it was bad but that's horrific.

I have put on a lot of weight this weekend too. Any ideas on how to get back on track..I appreciate just don't eat as much should help? Feeling really discouraged.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats your normal calorie goal?

are you seeing a therapist about your binge eating?
  • Hi, Onmyown70,

I agree with the other poster, it would help to know what sort of calorie levels you are usually working with. The higher a person's weight, or physical activity, the more kcals they need per day. A very plus-size person may actually need that many kcals.

An eating disorder program director just told me about a 650 pound man who had just become their client, who had been eating 7,000 kcals/day. She said he really needed that level of kcals (or near to it), because at his size, his body needs a lot of kcals. So they are very gradually working him down from that level.

I know how painful it can be to see very high kcal levels. On the other hand, please know that there is always some good reason for the binge, so please try to be compassionate with yourself.

For most people who are trying to lose weight, that reason for the binge is that they have been restricting their food intake intermittently.

Many plus-size people have a hard time getting their minds around the idea that they could possibly be restricting. After all, they are plus-size, right?! They may be so used to thinking they are overeating, that they (we) don't notice those times when we are restricting.

There is a wonderful article on nurse and dietitian Jean Antonello's web site that explains this well. It's called, "Is Emotional Overeating Really Emotional?" I urge you to Google it. She says that while emotions often get the blame, overeating or bingeing is almost always caused by incidents of restricting, beforehand.

If you have been dieting, and going hungry (getting overly hungry), that is probably the reason.

As Jean says, "Undereating causes overeating."

"Starving causes bingeing."

She also writes repeatedly in her books, "Overeating will not stop until the undereating stops."

"The feasts will not stop until the famines stop."

This requires ensuring you are eating every time you start to feel hungry, until you genuinely feel full, then starting to eat again as soon as you feel hungry again.

This really does nip the bingeing in the bud.

It is the most basic, core lesson in the treatment of bulimia and binge eating disorder.

Most often, people who are bingeing must stop dieting and trying to lose weight, and instead, focus on eating nutritiously until full as soon as the first signs of hunger start, every time. Jean goes into this in her books, listed on her web site.

Basically, she advocates eating whatever one wants, until full each time, from a wide variety of basic, nutritious meal foods: all grain foods, i.e. bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, etc., whole grain preferred; all dairy and meat, low-fat or lean preferred; all produce, nuts, condiments, nut butters. She calls these "Real Foods." She then has a list of "borderline foods" to eat less frequently (2-3x/week), and sweetened desserts (1-2x/month.) To me, that's a bit challenging, but reading her books gives some helpful ideas about basic nutritious foods one can feel free to eat any time, that provide ample protein, complex carbs, simple carbs, and fats.

Most of all, she provides the best education to understand and prevent bingeing, of any source I've ever read. (And I've read a fair amount on this topic.)

In the meantime, a smart, common piece of advice is that a healthy practice after a binge is to not try to make up for it by restricting food intake or skipping the next meal, afterward, nor exercising more to "burn it off."

At the next meal, just return to normal eating, and maintain your regular exercise.

Restricting after a binge will just trigger another binge, and we don't want that :)

Best wishes. I'd love to know your thoughts!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have 4 pounds to go on your ticker. You said you put on "a lot" of weight. What do you consider a lot? I would be way more concerned with the bingeing than how you were going to take off the possible two pounds you gained from it. I'll just drop this...just in case. http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi

I haven't updates my new weight :-( I apologise. I'm now 10 and half stone and 5ft 6. My body fat is 34%. My worst binges are when premenstrual. I am size 10 up top and size 16 below- so I don't sound overweight, but my bottom has been getting progressively bigger!

I am worried about the bingeing, of course, hence my post. It's often frantic and what I feel, comes from nowhere. Although often I feel tired prior to one. I can ignore a box of fudge, I don't even like it yet when in binge mode can devour a box.

LAhealthAtEVE, I haven't consciously been restricting. I think I did one day last week. The thing that concerns me is I gave myself time off, just eating what I wanted, when I wanted it. I grew bigger, a lot bigger. I know that I don't need that many kcal, I do burn a lot running around after little ones during the day,

It totally resonates, that starving causes bingeing. However, I don't think I restrict in-between. My kcal are probably abut 2100 from looking at myfitnesspal on an average day. I think years ago I maintained my smaller size but just accepted some days I would eat loads and other days I wouldn't! I hadn't been too concerned about my weight as such but my size is a bit disproportionate and none of trousers skirts fit anymore- so it is obviously affecting things!

Interesting "the feasts won't stop until the famine stops" I don't think I restrict and panics me as I tried an eat regularly programme and I found I was thinking of food all day and just eating even more than usual. However, I have noticed, waiting until I truly feel hungry has helped me recognised when I'm full. I'm really stuck with it :-(

Doctors were no help at all. LAhealth, my plan was in fact to restrict today but I'm still trying to eat healthily but majorly want sugar and chocolate (I am due on in two days time).

I'm just sick of myself, was going well, getting up and getting out and eating lunch and supper. It's like I can't control myself when I'm at home alone. I am also poorly and had guests at the weekend so was surrounded by munch food, stressed and tired. However, i don't want to justify it to myself.

I feel really, really upset about this, I don't know what to do. I try one thing, think it works but then am put into a different scenario and can't cope. I had a very obese grandmother and am slightly scared for my future!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict. Not today, not ever. You had a bad day, maybe a few, but the only thing you should do is put it behind you and move forward. Eat at a sensible deficit today but do not restrict. Make sure you let yourself have treats, too. I used to be compelled to binge when I believed that in order to lose weight I couldn't enjoy snacks, which is completely untrue. Don't make this torturous!
  • Hi Onmyown70,

I am sorry this is being so difficult, and that life sounds like it is especially tough right now :(

I am going through some similar things with trying different things and then getting on MFP and being shocked at how many kcals I've been eating, and that kicking off a whole bunch of new experiments, web searches, etc. I am no longer logging my kcals here, as it is still too triggering, and I may not do so at all anymore.

I completely agree with Snowdrop's advice.

Regarding the temptation to eat lots of sweets and chocolate (my temptations, as well), my college nutrition professor would give the following advice:

If someone is craving sweets, at least one of several things is going on nutritionally:

- either the person is not getting in enough kcals per day (or steadily throughout the day), and therefore is in a low-blood-sugar emergency, hence the sugar cravings (table sugar reaches the blood stream faster than any source of calories, which is why we crave it more when we get overly hungry); the remedy for this is to consistently eat sufficient meals and snacks that provide (at least each 1/3 of the day) sufficient complex carbohydrates, protein, and fat; and simple carbohydrate (from fruit, juice, or dairy);

- or the person has not been getting in enough carbohydrate, (complex and or simple carbohydrate), hence the craving for simple carbohydrates. In that case, it would help to increase the amount of complex carbohydrate in the diet (grain foods such as bread, pasta, oatmeal, rice, whole grains preferred), and to eat enough fruit. I try to eat a piece of fruit at each meal, 3+/day.

if you're having a huge, uncontrollable sweet craving, you might try to fill up on a quick-to-prepare, balanced meal (pro, cho, fat) such as a bowl or two of cereal, or eggs and toast, or a sandwich or two, or some nutrition bars, and eat several pieces of fruit or fruit juice. Then you will be full on plenty of nutritious foods, and it will be easier to have some sweets in moderation.

However, if the cravings are so intense you have to grab some chocolate right away, go for it, and try to eat a sandwich or other nutritious, balanced meal with it.

In general, regularly fueling sufficiently with balanced meals and snacks (combos of pro,cho& fat) should prevent consuming large quantities of sweets.

It can be easier said than done. I have my own struggles with this issue, and for me it always crops up when I'm meal skipping or severely undereating at times.

You might enjoy reading Jean Antonello's book, "How to Become Naturally Slim by Eating More," or checking out her web site articles on binge prevention.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have had binge eating disorder since childhood. Not saying you have that , but I understand feeling out of control around food at times. Bingeing can be very distressing and is a very strange scary almost unreal feeling experience while it is going on. I have had lots of different therapies, tried lots of different eating styles and even joined food addicts in recovery anonymous for 8 months once. I have found sticking to mostly eating whole unprocessed foods including protein and healthy fats with my meals has been very helpful.
    I still give myself permission to have other things but for now at least I feel safer only eating more processed high GI things in much smaller amounts or as occasional treats while out and accompanied so that there are built in boundaries to meals. Even then I would aim to have some good proteins, healthy fats and fresh veg etc to balance out anything that might be problematic for me. I get that saying I must never eat such and such ever ever again in my life etc may at times have reverse effect and increase binge behaviour. Instead I say I can have whatever I like as long as I feel safe to do so. I personally feel safe with the idea of reserving certain things as treats to be had occasionally when out with others. Saying that I so far have not felt the need to have any such treats and do not feel deprived at all. I enjoy eating my food. I feel much more calm and in control with my eating now because I am listening to my body more closely and have silenced the cravings. It took a bit of time and a lot of honesty with myself to identify the foods, situations, thinking patterns and emotional states that tend to trigger binges in me. Once I got a clear picture though it has been easier to tackle each aspect. For the trigger food part I stick to mainly eating whole nutritious foods as the bulk of what I eat and stay honest with myself about when I feel I can handle eating other things and when I don't. For the other parts I have had to do all in my power to reduce my stress load as much as I realistically can. I have also found it helpful to be honest with those that are close to me about my issues and also to get some counselling to speak about things in more depth or things I don't feel ok about talking to anyone else about.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I probably ate 10k+ calories this weekend due to bbqs and birthday parties.

Are you actually binging? I don't call 3k calories a day a "binge". Obviously if you are binging then you need to find out why. Like others have said, maybe it's under eating, an eating disorder etc. but if you simply enjoyed yourself this weekend then don't sweat it. Clean up your diet this week and put those extra calories to good use in the gym.

Edit: 6 k in a day? I thought it was a weekend. But my post still applies.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I probably ate 10k+ calories this weekend due to bbqs and birthday parties.

Are you actually binging? I don't call 3k calories a day a "binge". Obviously if you are binging then you need to find out why. Like others have said, maybe it's under eating, an eating disorder etc. but if you simply enjoyed yourself this weekend then don't sweat it. Clean up your diet this week and put those extra calories to good use in the gym.

Edit: 6 k in a day? I thought it was a weekend. But my post still applies.

That's an interesting way of looking at it :-) It's that feeling when I feel out of control that I worry about. I did enjoy some of the weekend it's just the eating got out of hand i.e. I was polishing off food secretly and frantically raiding cereal etc.

Yes 6kcal in one day!!!!