Looking for some advice re: cholesterol

Options
2»

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on blood serum levels. So don't even worry about those numbers.

The best ways to change your numbers?

1) Lose weight

2) Exercise

I eat red meat, real butter, and a high fat/high protein diet. Yet my numbers have IMPROVED with weight loss and adding more activity to it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol in foods has little to no impact on blood serum levels. So don't even worry about those numbers.

1) Lose weight

2) Exercise

I eat red meat, real butter, and a high fat/high protein diet. Yet my numbers have IMPROVED with weight loss and adding more activity to it.

^
    Yes.
    Losing weight and exercising lowers cholesterol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

1) Lose weight

2) Exercise

^
    Yes.

Except when it doesn't. My doctor recommended red yeast rice as well.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options

1) Lose weight

2) Exercise

^
    Yes.

Did mention I am doing both those things.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

1) Lose weight

2) Exercise

^
    Yes.

Did mention I am doing both those things.

I understand. You are doing all the right things. Give it time.
    The science says that changing what we eat does not change cholesterol numbers --they cannot be modified by diet.
    Also, genetics play a huge role in our cholesterol levels -- we cannot change our genes.
    HDL apparently can be somewhat Increased by exercise -- something you are already doing.

Red Rice Yeast Extract is the same as Lipitor -- with the same side effects. It is good that your doctor does not have you on it.
  • mathmatt
    mathmatt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've known 3 people who had very high cholesterol and all of them added legumes to their diet. The soluble fiber helps clean out the insides.

edited because I didn't proof read...
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    there is so much of a mix of total crap and truth in this thread. so, go listen to the stuff that seems too good to be true - must be right if there is a commercial or dr oz special about it!!!