Learning to squat

Options
I am getting ready to start a lifting program with a friend, and I feel confident starting out with everything except for the squats (and possibly lunges). I have been doing body weight squats for a while, but I can't seem to get deep enough. I feel like my butt is so low, but when I look in the mirror, I'm nowhere near parallel. I feel like I'm going to fall backwards, or if I really try to go deep, I get stuck and can't come back up. I know I'm still heavy (5'10" and 215 pounds). I am also extremely bottom heavy, and have long legs. I had a bad knee forever, so I always would bend at the waist instead of squat down in daily life. I wonder if that's why I have so much trouble squatting now?

I also can't get all the way down in a lunge (knee almost to the floor). I collapse.

What can I do to be able to squat? Are there any other exercises I can do to help achieve my goal of a proper squat?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    feeling like you are going to fall backwards is pretty common at first.

some ideas:
    - are you having someone look at you from the side to confirm how deep you are going?
    - post parallel squats require a certain amount of ankle, calf and hip mobility/flexibility/strength. do you have any issues with those areas? if so then work on it and maybe try squatting with a weight plate under your heels
    - try taking a wider stance as this might help with balance, just make sure your knees are always going in the same direction your toes are pointing. i find that with a bigger belly the wider stance is needed anyway so your belly wont get in the way and keeping from getting lower
    - once you're in the hole, to get out when your deep you have to activate that boo-tay and hamstrings. it's also possible that you arent properly activating the glutes. maybe you could try squat but holding on to a secured band. the band might help give you a bit of leverage and balance while you keep correct form getting out of the hole
    - with longer legs just remember that your ATG isnt going to be as low as someone with shorter leg

people might be able to give more relevant pointers if you can take a video

as for the lunge, some of that is going to be down to strength so as long as you arent in pain, just keep at it
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Everything mesha said. I just wanted to add that when you come up you drive through your heals, activating your glutes and hamstrings.

I highly recommend goblet squats for beginners. Especially if you feel like you are going to fall backwards. This will get you used to using proper form with heavy weight.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I could not squat for months and months. I think the issue is usually just in our heads - once you start being able to do it you'll wonder why you had such a problem with it.

Different things seem to help different people. For me it was reading 'starting strength' then starting with a broomstick. Others have had success with box squats. My mum needed something else to concentrate on so she held a dumbbell and did goblet squats.

Just keep at it, you'll find what works for you - and once you get there, that knee is going to start feeling a whole lot better :D
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The balancing part and going further down I'm sure will soon work out for you!

If I may? Here's an issue I'm having: I have a lordosis in my lower back. When I'm down my upper body is kind of upright, but I cannot put it in line with my lower back. Either I'm almost lying on my legs when using a weight or I have a terrible curve in my back. I don't have any pain, but still this can't be the right way to do this. Mind you, I don't have any problems keeping a straight back when doing other exercises, it just doesn't work with squats.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    just download ''starting strenght'' video. it will all be very clear
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those tips. If I could figure out how to post a video, I would do that!

I will continue to work on it...it's just frustrating because I don't really feel like a weakling-until I try to squat and then panic.

I bet you're right, 3laine75, it's probably all in my head. I know that I have a fear of falling, always have since I have freakishly poor balance. Hopefully strength training can help improve some of those balance issues also.

Mike, I will definitely check out that video, thanks for the tip.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Don't worry too much. It's all practice. I started with barbell front squats. The weight on those is a lot less than back squats, and it seemed easier in the beginning to pick up or set down the bar, because I didn't have the feeling it would pull me backwards.
    There is no rule that states how deep you have to go. There are recommendations about how to make the exercise most effective, and even this is limited by an individual's body structure. It takes a very experienced trainer to advise you about the correct posture and form for your body. The only rule that's never up for debate is LIFT SAFE!
    Like a previous poster suggested, e.g. if you have ankle problems or limitations that make it uncomfortable to bend the ankles, elevate your heels (weight plate, board...). This will help you to push your body up 'through your heels', instead of falling forward.
    Some people have upper/lower leg proportions that make it difficult or even unsafe to go lower than parallel squats. If the femur is longer, coming up from a squat from a very deep position can be dangerous for the back, because it is likely to round as you fight your way back up.
    Take your time and find your own perfect form.

Happy lifting!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird, but I feel more sturdy on my feet when I am squatting with weight rather than just body weight!

I also found a wider stance helped.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird, but I feel more sturdy on my feet when I am squatting with weight rather than just body weight!

I also found a wider stance helped.

great advice thus far. I actually have a harder time with body weight a this point as well.

I much prefer at LEAST the bar on my back- if not 35's on each side for warm ups. Just so much harder to do BW with no bar- this is why if you are working to squat with weight- you should be practicing with the bar- or a broomstick or something- BW squats do not translate directly to BB squats.

Djinn said something great too- goblet squats help you get depth and some weight to keep you focused and balanced- also really excellent for beginners.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Engage your heels. Down and up.

A lot of newbies to the squat end up toe-heavy, or middle-of-the-foot, and that is unbalancing in itself. The heel is the key.

Wider stance can help create depth (does for me) and in addition, you might want to point your toes slightly outward, and 10 and 2 o'clock. That's something football players are taught to do in their squats. I find I squat better that way as well. Then again, I can get really low...
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Hi there!
    Don't worry too much. It's all practice. I started with barbell front squats. The weight on those is a lot less than back squats, and it seemed easier in the beginning to pick up or set down the bar, because I didn't have the feeling it would pull me backwards.
    There is no rule that states how deep you have to go. There are recommendations about how to make the exercise most effective, and even this is limited by an individual's body structure. It takes a very experienced trainer to advise you about the correct posture and form for your body. The only rule that's never up for debate is LIFT SAFE!
    Like a previous poster suggested, e.g. if you have ankle problems or limitations that make it uncomfortable to bend the ankles, elevate your heels (weight plate, board...). This will help you to push your body up 'through your heels', instead of falling forward.
    Some people have upper/lower leg proportions that make it difficult or even unsafe to go lower than parallel squats. If the femur is longer, coming up from a squat from a very deep position can be dangerous for the back, because it is likely to round as you fight your way back up.

Happy lifting!

as a long term long legged squatter i just have to comment on the bold.
    it isn't unsafer for us to go deep than anyone else with shorter legs. weighted back squats put pressure on everyone. this is why it's important to always have good form (regardless if you're doing an air squat or lifting 3 times your body weight) and avoid stuff like butt wink. also the heavier the weight, the more important it is to engage the entire core during the movement. anyone can suffer from bad form, not just long legged squatters.

ETA i think people who learn from box squats might have a harder time avoiding the butt wink
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those tips. If I could figure out how to post a video, I would do that!

I will continue to work on it...it's just frustrating because I don't really feel like a weakling-until I try to squat and then panic.

I bet you're right, 3laine75, it's probably all in my head. I know that I have a fear of falling, always have since I have freakishly poor balance. Hopefully strength training can help improve some of those balance issues also.

Mike, I will definitely check out that video, thanks for the tip.

If it's a fear thing you can start off with body weight box squats. Touch your butt to the box and back up, you have comfort knowing you won't fall on the ground.

As for balance, yes, the more strength training you do the better your balance will become. I was HORRIBLY clumsy and uncoordinated, I couldn't even do a BW squat without falling over. I can do all kinds of great things now without falling :-)

Keep at it!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with tight calves and it really interfered with my ability to squat. I spent a while squatting with weights under my heels.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    long-ish but conversational style video, informative stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiyywDW1KgU
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Happy lifting!

it isn't unsafer for us to go deep than anyone else with shorter legs. weighted back squats put pressure on everyone. this is why it's important to always have good form (regardless if you're doing an air squat or lifting 3 times your body weight) and avoid stuff like butt wink. also the heavier the weight, the more important it is to engage the entire core during the movement. anyone can suffer from bad form, not just long legged squatters.

ETA i think people who learn from box squats might have a harder time avoiding the butt wink

I agree that the bolder part here is untrue, quite silly in fact. I'm a long legged squatter too and nothing but ATG squats will do for me - my knees are to old to be F'ing with them doing partial squats. And I've also had no issues with my back rounding (haha plenty other squat issues but that isn't one)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Happy lifting!

I agree that the bolder part here is untrue, quite silly in fact. I'm a long legged squatter too and nothing but ATG squats will do for me - my knees are to old to be F'ing with them doing partial squats. And I've also had no issues with my back rounding (haha plenty other squat issues but that isn't one)

Hi guys!

Before getting all hot and worked up, please read again with patience.

The difficulty is NOT IN LONG LEGS. The difficulty in in the LENGTH RATIO between upper and lower legs. It's a geometry problem. Some people have a longer than average femur. (that would be the upper part of the leg....) If they go all the way to the grass with their *kitten*, the work involved in going back up to the starting position, and lining up the respective centers of gravity of the weight and their body, is very demanding on the back.
    They will have more success and be safer by practicing parallel squats, instead of accidentally throwing out their back by trying to swing up from a deep squat.

Lift safe....:flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    Hi there!

Happy lifting!

Hi guys!

Before getting all hot and worked up, please read again with patience.

The difficulty is NOT IN LONG LEGS. The difficulty in in the LENGTH RATIO between upper and lower legs. It's a geometry problem. Some people have a longer than average femur. (that would be the upper part of the leg....) If they go all the way to the grass with their *kitten*, the work involved in going back up to the starting position, and lining up the respective centers of gravity of the weight and their body, is very demanding on the back.

Lift safe....:flowerforyou:

not sure about the hot and worked up comment that was a bit unnecessary.

in any case, i dont understand what the point is about the squat being demanding on the back for long legged squatters. who cares, back squats are demanding on everyone's backs.

get the form right, engage your core, develop the strength, mobility balance needed to get yourself into and out of the hole and stop worrying about what supposed to be harder. just get the work done, boo :laugh:
  • RachelAngel01
    Options

As for balance, yes, the more strength training you do the better your balance will become. I was HORRIBLY clumsy and uncoordinated, I couldn't even do a BW squat without falling over. I can do all kinds of great things now without falling :-)

Keep at it!

That is great to hear I have a fighting chance at improving balance. My kids make fun of me all the time because I'm such a klutz.
  • RachelAngel01
    Options
    So here's another part to the question then: am I doing any damage by doing either body weight or weighted squats and not making it deep enough? Or is it just that I'm not really doing any good? I am going to keep trying, obviously, because I believe I can get it.

And what is a good beginner weight on the goblet squat?

Y'all have truly been super helpful, and very encouraging. Thanks for all the replies.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    So here's another part to the question then: am I doing any damage by doing either body weight or weighted squats and not making it deep enough? Or is it just that I'm not really doing any good? I am going to keep trying, obviously, because I believe I can get it.

And what is a good beginner weight on the goblet squat?

Y'all have truly been super helpful, and very encouraging. Thanks for all the replies.

no damage, just work at it and eventually you'll get there. if you really get the lifting bug then you'll find that there's always going to be some movement that you have to continually work out and other are just going to come natural. lifters are almost always working on improving form.

for the starting weight for the goblet that's hard to tell. i tend to just pick up a dumbbell do a rep and judge from there. if by the end you realize you started too light no worries, the next time just choose more weight. this is all a work in progress