Overnight Oatmeal

Options
MissingMinnesota
MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
This is really good oatmeal. You put it in the crockpot when you go to bed and when you wake up it is ready. We did it everyday while on vacation. The only down side is we couldn't figure out how to not make it stick to the side of the crockpot. We also used dried apples instead of dried apricots and made a half portion.

Servings: 8 servings, 1 cup each
Prep: 5 mins
Total: 8 hrs

Ingredients
8 cups water
2 cups steel-cut oats, (see Ingredient note)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Directions
1. Combine water, oats, dried cranberries, dried apricots and salt in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to low. Put the lid on and cook until the oats are tender and the porridge is creamy, 7 to 8 hours. Stovetop Variation Halve the above recipe to accommodate the size of most double boilers: Combine 4 cups water, 1 cup steel-cut oats, 3 tablespoons dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons dried apricots and 1/8 teaspoon salt in the top of a double boiler. Cover and cook over boiling water for about 1 1/2 hours, checking the water level in the bottom of the double boiler from time to time.

Tip:
Ingredient Note: Steel-cut oats, sometimes labeled "Irish oatmeal," look like small pebbles. They are toasted oat groats - the oat kernel that has been removed from the husk that have been cut in 2 or 3 pieces. Do not substitute regular rolled oats, which have a shorter cooking time, in the slow-cooker oatmeal recipe.

Nutrition Facts
Calories 193, Total Fat 3 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1 g, Sodium 77 mg, Carbohydrate 34 g, Fiber 9 g, Protein 6 g, Potassium 195 mg. Exchanges: Starch 2,Fruit 0.5.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Replies

• 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    sounds yum....a must try!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have heard about the steel cut oats and wanted to try them. Thanks for sharing the recipe! About the sticking--I have seen crock pot liners that eliminate the need for clean up. I am pretty sure they are in the plastic wrap/foil/freezer bag aisle. Those may help. I am going to try this recipe soon. Thans again!!
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Bump.
  • MISTTIMI
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try this, Do you think spraying pam on the pot would help with sticking?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try this, Do you think spraying pam on the pot would help with sticking?

We tried pam and it didn't help.
  • loonpine2
    loonpine2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Pam on the inside of the crock pot works pretty good!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The slow cooker liners are nothing short of wonderful! I don't use my crock pot without one! near the foil/Saran wrap etc.
  • gracefullyjenn
    Options
    Making this for tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    That sounds good. I'll have to make it when I have family staying over. Typically I eat Trader Joe's Frozen Steelcut Oatmeal that I microwave and then throw in some frozen blueberries to cool it down. Such good flavor and texture. I look forward to comparing it to your recipe.
  • Karennece
    Karennece Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to trying this. Would be nice to wake up to a warm breakfast waiting for us!
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Lovely! Thank you for sharing!
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This sounds great - can't wait to try it. Btw, I like to substitute unsweetened applesauce for the liquid when I make stovetop oatmeal with rolled oats.
  • JDizzIe
    JDizzIe Posts: 23
    Options
    Just what I was looking for! Bought some steel cut oats in the bulk aisle for cheap and now I'm going to go get some crockpot liners and make this!! Thanks for sharing! :D
  • mom2kgirls
    mom2kgirls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love making oatmeal this way. I like to put cinnamin and raisins in it- smells wonderful when we wake up,. Sometimes we also put walnuts or pecans and a little bit of brown sugar on it when we eat it. There are a lot of ways to vary the taste!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    bump
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Ooooh thanks for sharing!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this one out!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good!
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I love over night oatmeal.. the last time I made it I put in frozen blueberries and honey .. served it with milk.. yum! I haven't been able to make any since my regualr crock-pot got broken..:grumble: