NSV: Finally able to fit into ON clothes/buy a real bra!!

Options
jenEphur
jenEphur Posts: 33 Member
Fairly long. I apologize. :)

I have dreamed about this day. Not that Old Navy is the best store in the world, but I used to wear their button down dress shirts all the time. They're cheap and look fairly nice (in my opinion). I haven't been able to fit into Old Navy since my freshman spring at college (somewhere around 4-5 years ago).

Yesterday we went shopping and I made it a point to go into Old Navy just to see if their clothes would fit. I grabbed a few jeans in a 20 and a button down shirt.

Well.
(Drumroll Please)

IMAG0184_zps5228a9e4.jpg

Not only did it button, it actually fit!!! it was somewhat too large in the stomach region, actually! And the jeans! THEY BUTTONED ON ME TOO! O.M.G.

There were small downsides. The shirt was super tight in the arms (which were really odd anyway because the shoulder was too long) and the jeans were too tight in the calves, so I didn't get either, BUT WHO CARES?! I could go into a story that isn't plus size exclusive only and try on clothes!!!!!

Then there's the bra story. I have been wearing a bra without underwire in it for...eh...3+ years. I've taken to wearing a cheap walmart sports bra over a Lane Bryant bra that has no underwire in it. Read as: NO SUPPORT! I look like a uniboob saggy something-rather. I've had such a hard time because I'm around a DDD/F, but I was around a 48-50 around. Lane Bryant only sells Fs up to a 44, and the DDDs that were large enough around were always too small in the cup. I am very shallow on top since I went from a B to a DDD overnight it seems when I was 13 and stretched my skin pretty badly, so it's nearly impossible to find bras that fit me anymore.

I'm pleased to announce that I bought a 44 DDD bra yesterday (two in fact) that was a normal, underwire bra. I wore it today so proudly. I needed an extender with it, but I don't even care. That means I can continue to wear it for a while as I keep losing weight. I wasn't even able to find one that fit before with an extender, much less without.

The numbers on the scale cannot even BEGIN to touch the happiness I felt yesterday with these two accomplishments.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Old Navy has great stuff...
  • jenEphur
    jenEphur Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I fear the day I'm able to walk in there and find anything my size. My bank account will suffer greatly! lol
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yayy!!!! Congrats to you - enjoy the great feelings coming with your success! :)
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations!!! That must feel so good! :happy:
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CortneyZimm
    CortneyZimm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Going shopping and putting on clothes that you never thought would fit is the greatest feeling!! You've doing a wonderful job and look great!
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well done!!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I have dreamed about this day. Not that Old Navy is the best store in the world, but I used to wear their button down dress shirts all the time. They're cheap and look fairly nice (in my opinion). I haven't been able to fit into Old Navy since my freshman spring at college (somewhere around 4-5 years ago).

Yesterday we went shopping and I made it a point to go into Old Navy just to see if their clothes would fit. I grabbed a few jeans in a 20 and a button down shirt.

Well.
    (Drumroll Please)

IMAG0184_zps5228a9e4.jpg

Not only did it button, it actually fit!!! it was somewhat too large in the stomach region, actually! And the jeans! THEY BUTTONED ON ME TOO! O.M.G.

There were small downsides. The shirt was super tight in the arms (which were really odd anyway because the shoulder was too long) and the jeans were too tight in the calves, so I didn't get either, BUT WHO CARES?! I could go into a story that isn't plus size exclusive only and try on clothes!!!!!

Then there's the bra story. I have been wearing a bra without underwire in it for...eh...3+ years. I've taken to wearing a cheap walmart sports bra over a Lane Bryant bra that has no underwire in it. Read as: NO SUPPORT! I look like a uniboob saggy something-rather. I've had such a hard time because I'm around a DDD/F, but I was around a 48-50 around. Lane Bryant only sells Fs up to a 44, and the DDDs that were large enough around were always too small in the cup. I am very shallow on top since I went from a B to a DDD overnight it seems when I was 13 and stretched my skin pretty badly, so it's nearly impossible to find bras that fit me anymore.

I'm pleased to announce that I bought a 44 DDD bra yesterday (two in fact) that was a normal, underwire bra. I wore it today so proudly. I needed an extender with it, but I don't even care. That means I can continue to wear it for a while as I keep losing weight. I wasn't even able to find one that fit before with an extender, much less without.

The numbers on the scale cannot even BEGIN to touch the happiness I felt yesterday with these two accomplishments.

Thanks for reading!

Congrats. I am not trying to rain on your parade but...Old Navy is notorious for "vanity sizing." I would take it slightly with a grain of salt that your actually "that" size. Remember to go by waist/bust measurements like inches/cm. I've found that at old navy I'm tweeny size which is silly since I'm a 28in waist and a 36in in the hips. That puts me firmly in the M/L at H&M or Zara. They don't vanity size. I hate old navy's jeans since I have no *kitten* and they hang off me. =(

But congrats at being out of the "dd ranch". Make sure you get fitted for a proper bra once you hit your goal!
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well done you! Fabulous NSV's and the bra... well, I get it, it makes such a difference! :smile:

Keep up the good work!
  • megqbrown
    megqbrown Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I had similar experience this weekend. I just started a new job and was trying to make my old slacks work for a little while longer until I had the cash to get some new ones. They were a size 16 and definitely too big since I've lost 35 pounds. I decided that I looked silly, and had to get some new ones ASAP, so I borrowed some money from my mom to go shopping. I was able to shop at Express for the first time since I can remember! They only carry up to size 12 and all of the pants I tried on there fit! I actually ended up purchasing some snug size 10s so they might last a little longer as I continue on my journey. Its a great feeling to finally be able to shop absolutely wherever I want!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I hope you are ignoring that post about "vanity sizing." Screw that!

Your smile says everything. You look sooooooo happy!!! Pat yourself on the back and do a happy dance --- and count them as cardio exercise -- you deserve to feel fabulous.

Can't wait to see your next round of happy pictures!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I hope you are ignoring that post about "vanity sizing." Screw that!

I agree. The POINT is,
    that you can wear something sold by that store!

Continue on with the good work,
    and keep SMILING like that!
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Congrats!!
  • knoelledi
    knoelledi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! That's awesome and I feel you on the bra!!!! I'm not sure what size they go to but Torrid has some sexy bras for us large chested women. They can be pricey but they have some fun bras and clothes!

Just a side note on Old Navy, try on a few pairs in your size, even the same style. I have found that the sweetheart jeans made in one country are almost a size bigger than the same type made in a different country. I used to be so good to just buy off the rack and be sure about it but I would go home with a pair of jeans and they'd fall off while the same size I was fitting perfectly.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Well.
    (Drumroll Please)

IMAG0184_zps5228a9e4.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Congrats. I am not trying to rain on your parade but...Old Navy is notorious for "vanity sizing." I would take it slightly with a grain of salt that your actually "that" size. Remember to go by waist/bust measurements like inches/cm. I've found that at old navy I'm tweeny size which is silly since I'm a 28in waist and a 36in in the hips. That puts me firmly in the M/L at H&M or Zara. They don't vanity size. I hate old navy's jeans since I have no *kitten* and they hang off me. =(

But congrats at being out of the "dd ranch". Make sure you get fitted for a proper bra once you hit your goal!

I think you may be missing the point here. To me, this is a milestone not that she can get into clothing of a certain size number (where vanity sizing becomes a factor because you might look for that size elsewhere), but that she can now find some items that fit her at Old Navy, whose styles she likes.

It wouldn't matter what number was on the size, the fact is her dimensions have come down enough that she can shop at a store where she couldn't shop before.
  • Jett8888
    Jett8888 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Prior to my weight loss I had to order bras online. I actually cried in the dressing room when a 44dd off the rack fit. Now I'm down to a 38dd and thinking it may be time to get a new one.
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! Good on you.
    And, find a really good bra store where they have had training in measuring women so that they try on and buy the correct size. It can make such a difference! The bras there might be more expensive, but they are worth it, and with good care, can last 3-5 years or more depending on how you cycle different ones throughout the week!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!