Is there a such thing as eating to much fruit?

I had cut out most unhealthy process foods from my diet, so now I am eating lots of fruit, vegetables and lean meats. However 70% of my diet is fruit.

My question is would it be okay to eat lots of fruit throughout the day? I am worry about the sugar content, because I don’t want to gain weight. Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Could be. If your diet is 70% fruit, that means only 30% is left for fats, lean proteins, etc. Hard to say how much fruit is too much, but generally speaking I think if you're eating fruit to the exclusion of a general, all-around balance than yes - it could very well be too much. If you are eating fruit instead of junk food - it's still a better choice. Really, you kind of have to let your weight loss be your guide. And I assume you're eating whole fruits, not juicing. That's a whole different story (concentrating fruit/sugar, etc.)
  • I read somewhere that it isn't advisable to "overeat" fruits because of the sugar content and, if you're trying to lose weight, it adds up to your daily caloric intake.

Eat fruits with low calories like watermelon, papaya, and grapes.
  • I'm interested with the "concentrating fruit/sugar." Is it bad?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    If you are going to eat that much fruit I wouldn't go too far from a toilet!!!

Seriously, I would be keeping more of a balanced diet because of all the other nutrients that the body needs that are not found in fruit.

As for the sugar content, I believe you are right to be concerned. THe act of drying fruit effectively concentrates the sugar when you measure it by weight. If you think of the weight of a grape, compared to the weight of that same grape when the water has been taken out to make it a raisin, the sugar content of the grape has remained the same. So, you can eat 100g of grapes and have (I dont know the numbers, but for the sake of discussion.....) 20g fructose, but eat 100g of raisins and you could have eaten 80g of fructose (for arguments sake). But you have still only eaten 100g of fruit in both examples.........
  • gersloyal
    gersloyal Posts: 7 Member
    My PT told me this morning to go steady on the fruit and maybe have a piece for morning snack and replace the afternoons fruit with something like Brazil nuts. The fat in the nuts is easier to burn off than the sugar in the fruit (I think that is what she said. Also eat plenty veggies at dinner time.
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Thanks everybody for the advice. I am eating whole fruit and not juicing. The fruits I do eat is Watermelon, grapes and bananas.

For example my eating schedule:

Breakfast: Fruit
    Lunch: Fruit
    Dinner: Lean meats, wheat grains and vegetables
    Snacks: fruit or some sort of dairy product
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Start accurately logging what you eat. If there are any imbalances, they will become apparent rather quickly. The very generic way you describe your intake makes it impossible to determine if you're eating too much or too little of anything.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Yes, you can eat too much fruit. It would be better for you eat mostly vegetables than mostly fruit.

Try for a week to log everything you eat and come back. Let us see what you're eating to accurately help you.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    I would recommend talking to your doctor about it. My sister's doctor had to start watching her for diabetes while she was pregnant because she ate lots of fruit (though FAR less than you sound like you do). Even though she is fit, and thin - it was still a concern.
  • It's important to have a proportional diet... if you eat that much fruit, it means you aren't eating enough of something else. Where do you get your protein and fats from? What about the vitamins you can't easily get from fruit, like iron or B vitamins? There's nothing wrong with a plant based diet, but humans are omnivores and we need a wide variety of foods to get optimal nutrition.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Fruit's good for you in moderation, but you need to make sure it's not all you're eating. You're new enough here that I can't get a sense of your typical diet from your diary, but the few days you'd logged fully, you were really low on protein and fat. That's all right once in a while, but you need to keep your protein intake up or you'll lose too much muscle mass as you're losing weight--and if you're filling up on fruit, you may not get to the protein. And you need some fat to stay healthy.