Some general tips/tactics to stop overeating?

Options
All help appreciated - having trouble recently with staying on the healthy and lesser eating wagon!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There are no tips or tricks that work over the long run.

You just have to find the discipline to say "No" - that's the bottom line.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    If you have a snack in the house you like, pre-portion it into sandwich baggies and write the nutritional info on them; for instance, calories, fat, sat fat, protein, sodium, ect.

Having everything in individual servings can keep you from overeating straight out of the box, and also give you a visual of what you are putting in to your body.
  • mullycathNZ
    mullycathNZ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ^^ this
    I also find pre-logging my days' calories at the beginning helps me to see what I can "afford" to eat.
    When you are "hungry", have a drink of water and eat a carrot or 6 raw almonds (or a similar low cal snack that suits you), wait 10 mins and decide if you are still hungry.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How about changing two things this week and two things next week?
    Week One:
    You could choose to stop drinking sweet drinks.
    And you could choose to add a new fruit or vegetable to your daily plan.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Make a lifestyle change and use self control
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pre-log dessert calories.

Remind yourself of the following: If you're set to lose 1 lb per week, that's a ~500 calorie deficit. If you go over your calories for the day, it's NOT the end of the world. In fact, if you go over by less than 500... you'll still lose weight. And if not, consider it a maintenance day and try again tomorrow.

Also, "sneaky" exercise, like slow walking, helps. You don't get super hungry after because you don't feel like you've worked hard, but you've managed to be active.

Desserts are essential for me. My high cal dessert days are ice cream or cheesecake (right now); my low cal dessert days are a cookie or pudding or some chocolate. But I *always* get dessert.

Most of all, relax. Of course you're going to overeat if you're stressed about failure. It's a life change, not a diet. If it's not working for you now, you need to figure out why, change it up, or figure out how to deal with it. For me, I was trying to lose weight way too quickly before, at 12-1400 cals a day, and it was just unsustainable. Now, I'm losing fine at 18-2000 a day, and I love it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No food is the devil. A healthy diet can include any foods at all. To lose weight, overall you need to eat at a calorie deficit

I have issues with some foods. They may not be foods that are so super awesome, but if I have them in the house I'll eat huge quantities of them most likely till the food is gone. Some options I use:

Go nuts. Eat the food. If it only happens once in a great while then it won't have a huge impact on my diet

Keep the foods out of the house. If I want some I'll consciously buy only one or a few servings

Keep learning recipes. This gives me the option to make more things that satisfy me and not necessarily lean towards the items I consume inappropriately. It also gives me the options of making a single serving of sweets, brownies, cakes, muffins, etc.

Exercise more

I'm sure there are more tips hopefully others will post

Edit: oh, I also do weekly targets rather than daily. Some days I want more food than others. The app is really great at keeping track of this for me. Tap Nutrition -> weekly. There's a bar graph that shows how many calories I have for the week, daily net calories for each day, etc. There's also an option in the app to lock down the specific day you want your week to start, rather than a running total of the last seven days. I'd have to say this has really given me a great option when it comes to eating at a deficit, and subsequently weight loss
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Eating foods high in fiber or protein should keep you satiated longer, I notice a huge difference when I don't have my oatmeal in the morning. I usually get hungry at least two hours earlier then when I do eat it. Try to snack on fibrous veggies such as celery. You can eat a lot of veggies for little calories, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, raw spinach for salads.

Warm water will make you feel full, coffee or tea is good to get rid of hunger if your calorie intake is high for the day and you still don't feel full.

If it's late at night and you just have to have something try to stick to lean protein or veggies, these will be harder for your body to digest and will not spike your blood sugar making you hungry again soon.

Examine your diet. ...is it mostly carbs which your body burns through quickly or are you getting a good amount of proteins and fiber in there to balance out your blood sugar levels? When our blood sugar levels are on a roller coaster all day it's difficult to control hunger. (This is my opinion based on personal experience.)

Hope some of this helps
  • DomTre1990
    DomTre1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - definitely a lot of stuff to try out there :)