What to do if you haven't eaten enough to reach calorie goal

Options
Hi everyone : )

I joined this awesome site nearly 2 weeks ago .. so far I've lost 2 pounds and due for my 2nd check-in the day after next.
I've been tracking what I've been eating and exercising a lot, however today due to hot weather - I didn't eat enough to reach towards my calorie goal .. is this bad ?? Is there anyone out there who could help or give some advice - many kind thanks : )

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If its a 'one off' don't worry. However not hitting your target or at least the minimum of 1200 calories per day over a prolonged period will ultimately result in either a plateau and no weight loss or the loss of lean body mass (muscle0 rather than fat.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a tough time w/ this one, too. Also, when you excercise and it gives you more calories . . . it's a little frustrating. I'm looking forward to the posts you get.

Thanks for posting this topic.

~Teri
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    If I am not hungry, I just don't eat them. I figure my body knows what it needs.

It happens rarely though! :)

I read on here someone's suggestion to this "problem" (sorry, I think it is great if I don't eat all my calories) - they said have 2-3 tteaspoons of peanut butter. It is healthy and it will give you 200 or so kcal. (depends on your deficit)
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    If your not hungry you dont eat...eating when your not hungry is what makes us over weight!!...if i dont hit my calories everyday it dosnt matter another day you may be slightly over

I have been doing this a year and i havnt had trouble at all if i dont hit my cals.it would be a problem if you was doing it on purpose everyday but your not so eat when your hungry and not because of numbers on a chart hope this helps and good luck x x x x x x x x
  • themostbeautifullies
    Options
    I let it go.
    As long as is not done for too long is okay, if you're not hungry don't eat it.
  • BiliousMouse
    Options
    When I first started on this site, I logged my usual meals and found that I was eating way under the target - apparently it's called "starvation mode" (even though I wasn't starving!!). That explained why whenever I dieted I never lost weight!! I now try and get as near to the calories as I can although sometimes this takes me slightly over in protein (I try not to go over in carbs though as previously I ate too many carbs). It's much worse on the days when I exercise and get those calories back!

If I need more calories, I'll often have a boiled egg or a low fat yogurt just to try and bring me nearer to the target. Seems to me that if you need to make up calories, just make sure you don't do it with too many fatty or carbohydrate-high foods.

Amazingly after a couple of weeks doing this, I seem to be hitting my calories easier - maybe it was just a case of retraining myself!

Good luck!
  • Rachelle2011
    Rachelle2011 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you for all your helpful advice .. very much appreciated - I love this site .. such great support. Good luck everyone with your journies. :flowerforyou:
  • KittyKat213
    Options

I joined this awesome site nearly 2 weeks ago .. so far I've lost 2 pounds and due for my 2nd check-in the day after next.
    I've been tracking what I've been eating and exercising a lot, however today due to hot weather - I didn't eat enough to reach towards my calorie goal .. is this bad ?? Is there anyone out there who could help or give some advice - many kind thanks : )

Hot weather ... don't know where you are but I wish I had such a problem !! :smile:
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I'm glad you posted this!! After a good workout, I'm never hungry, just thirsty. I've found myself making myself eat when I'm not even hungry :(
  • Rachelle2011
    Options

Hot weather ... don't know where you are but I wish I had such a problem !! :smile:

I live in Australia ... South West of Sydney :bigsmile: where are you from ??
  • kezereth
    Options
    I read on here someone's suggestion to this "problem" (sorry, I think it is great if I don't eat all my calories) - they said have 2-3 tteaspoons of peanut butter. It is healthy and it will give you 200 or so kcal. (depends on your deficit)

That's a great idea! I might give this one a try as i often struggle to things to eat. Most of the time i dont really WANT to eat, but oddly i have ONLY lost weight since i have been reaching my calorie goals. Just shows i was eating too little before and then spiralling into a pit of despair because of it. Now i eat more and loose weight?! It's a win/win situation!
  • Rachelle2011
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE .. HAD A MUCH BETTER DAY TODAY EVEN THOUGH IT WAS STILL HOT ... I WONDER HOW TOMORROW WILL TURN OUT FOR A 40 DEGREE SCORCHING HOT DAY TO CELEBRATE "AUSTRALIA DAY" :wink:
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I shall have to try the peanut butter thing... yesterday i was well under my calorie intake due to a gym workout AND my EA active on the wii...

Thanks for the tip!