When to weigh?

Options
I can't seem to stop myself from weighing in every morning but this gets frustrating when there are slight increases some days (i.e. yesterday I weighed half a pound less than this morning). I know that I should hold off and just weigh myself once a week but I just can't seem to stay off of the scale! Suggestions? THANKS! :-)

Replies

• lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    I do flirt with the scale throughout the week, BUT my official weigh in is on Friday mornings, without clothes on and after using the bathroom. Weighing yourself every 5 minutes can take a toll on your psychological health. Your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. If you do so after eating, drinking water, exercising etc... you are bound to have an anxiety attack because your weight will increase.
    Hope this helps!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think the standard is once a week, but I must confess that I weigh in every morning too. For me, I think this is fine, but you MUST realize that standard fluctuations are very normal. I can have a great workout day and gain a pound. I can have a lousy food day and lose a pound. So, you can't take the daily weight as seriously. I weigh every day and then look every week at a weight report to see how the trends look for the last few weeks. It is only this directional data over time that really matters and is really reflective of true changes.

So, if you get too worked up over the daily reading, then I would skip it. It can mess with your head if give it too much credence.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Do not weigh yourself more than once a week. I like to pick a day in the middle of the week not Monday like others. Sometimes we have bad weekends and you dont want that to reflect on your weigh in. Take the batteries out of your scale and only put them in to weigh in then remove them again. You are less likely to weigh yourself everyday if you have to put the batteries in every time. Good Luck!!!
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    hmmm I think lots of us have that problem. What about taking the scale to a friends house, leaving it there and just going round to visit one day a week and at the same time weigh yourself? Might be abit extreme but I would prefer that than being disappointed when the scale tells me something I dont want to see. Good luck
  • grumbelina
    Options
    Try keeping the scale in a slightly inconvenient place so it requires some effort to get it out. If it's too easy to hop on, the temptation is great! But if you have to go to a bit of trouble to do it, you'll be less likely to do so.
  • VP72
    VP72 Posts: 89
    Options
    Hi,

You're not the only one - I offically weigh in on a Monday morning, but it doesn't stop me from weighing myself EVERY morning & night....plus I take off 2lbs at night to work out whether I've lost/gained that day.

I understand that it is very hard not to weigh yourself!

A friend of mine use to give her mum her scales to look after during the week, she would weigh in on Sunday so would have them back at the weekend & then give them back & it helped her.

I personally couldn't be without my scales, but also understand that you weight fluctuates so much throughout the week it is only Monday mornings with me that count!

So you either can put up with it, give your scales to someone to look after, or get rid of them altogether and weigh yourself at someone else's house every week!

Good luck what ever you decide.....
  • shadowofnature
    Options
    FaeFae, that is a great idea!! I never would have thought of it, hopefully I don't lose the batteries though.
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday as well but I understand and accept there will be constant fluctuations. I have a mental upper limit (140lb) and as long as I remain under than I'm happy.

I tend to go up and down like a yo-yo between 134 and 137 but I don't start worrying until I hit 139; that's when I know I need to check what I'm eating while also upping the gym sessions. Christmas I hit 139 but I knew that was going to happen. Two weeks later I was back to 135 and happy again.

In your mind set yourself an upper limit (preferably 5lb over your average) and then stop worrying until you get close to it. Works well for me :smile: