Question for runners

Options
sigsby
sigsby Posts: 220 Member
What is a good running pace to start improving my speed.

I started running last year when I quit smoking. I had serious problems doing the couch to 5k when I got to five minute intervals. People told me to slow down and that worked. I was able to complete and finish and eventually worked my distance up to eleven mile runs. I run about a 12 minute mile pretty consistently. I am planning on starting the couch to 5k over again but this time I am doing it to build up the strength to run faster. I am interested in your opinions.

Thank you
Donald

Replies

• sigsby
    Options
    Bump
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you for the work done so far. You may want to put some challenge in your running by adding speed sections, where you pick up the pace for 1-2 minutes, then return to regular pace until recovery, then again. Also, adding hills really worked for me. I would find a challenging hill and put it in the middle of my run and do it 2 or 3 times, then continue.
  • sigsby
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are already running 11 mile runs, I am not sure redoing couch to 5k will give you the speed bump you are looking for. Typically, extending distance is the first way to bring your speed up. Add overall mileage to the week. Once you are running 20-25 miles per week regularly for a while, then turn one day into a day where you focus on speedwork. But you have to get that mileage base and get your body use to that first.

The first speed type thing I would add is strides, which is where you run at a faster, racing pace for 45 seconds or so then slow back down and recover for at least a minute and then do it again. I started with 5 or so and do about 8-10 now when I do strides.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Over what distance were you averaging 12 minute miles? How often and how far are you currently running?
  • sigsby
    Options
    I usually run three times a week. The 12 minute mile average is my pace for all distances. Two runs a week I run 10k. My third run I push my distance a little further each time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sig,

I've been running on and off for years. Last year, after I had gained 30 pounds back, I got to where I could run a 12 minute mile and was out of breath. I felt like I was running through slush.

Now, after losing 44 pounds, I my average run is anywhere from 9.25 to 10 minute miles, and sometimes i will intentionally run a 12 minute mile. Once a week I do a 4-5 miler where I run at 6.1 up to 6.3 mph, and the rest of the time I vary speed and work on distance.

How I got up to the highest speed I can do is by slowly working my way up. I would love to do a nine minute mile, but it would take me awhile.

I suggest taking your time and not trying to push yourself all at once. Maybe for the first few weeks, go at a lower speed. Maybe add in short intervals of a higher speed. Just do what feels comfortable for you and take your time. You didn't get unfit overnight, and you won't get fit overnight either.

Trust he process.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing, and keep it consistent. Look at your progress in yearly intervals, or 6mos if you're impatient. And instead of "getting faster" try looking at it as "what's the best pace you can hold for X duration with easy/moderate/hard effort."
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're running three times a week at 10K+, there's no need for you to go back to C25K, which is a beginner's program.

Instead, you should focus on adding speedwork and hill training to your runs.

I would keep doing your long run at a comfortable pace, but take one run a week and do some intervals. You can either do structured intervals (running over a set distance at a fixed pace that's somewhat faster than what feels comfortable now, followed by an equal recovery time), or high-intensity interval training (HIIT), where you go all-out for a short period, followed by a short recovery period, and repeat. Or you could do unstructured interval training, AKA fartlek: on one of your runs, pick a goal, like a telephone pole a few hundred yards ahead of you, and run hard until you reach it; ease off for a while, then pick another goal.

Here's an article on the basics of HIIT:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/run-faster-with-high-intensity-interval-training?page=single

SonicDeathMonkey's advice about concrete goals is great. If you want to approach things more systematically, you could ask for advice on a running-specific forum such as RunningAhead's forums (http://www.runningahead.com/forums), or look at books that address training. Jeff Galloway's training advice is useful if you want to improve without taking things too quickly.
  • Wanderer1234
    Options
    If you want to increase your speed in running, you first have to get out of that regular pattern that you are using and mix it up a little. First, aim to run 4 to 5 times a week, varying the length and intensity of your runs. Because if you have been doing the same run for several months, your body would have settled into a routine and you would have reached what some people would call a plateau. You have to shake things up. Some additional exercises you can try include: trying running on a treadmill. Set the treadmill at a speed slightly higher than you are used to or a speed that you have to push yourself to keep. This will train your legs to run a faster tempo and encourage a higher leg turnover. Try spinning classes as this will help to increase your cadence by encouraging your hips to rotate at higher speeds. Try skipping as they will help you improve coordination and also train your body to absorb your body better when your feet impact the ground. Not to mention it will help you develop faster feet. Add a 15 min. yoga routine as this will improve your flexibility, which always will help your running form and decrease muscle recovery time. As mentioned, look into High Intensity Interval Training (HIT or HIIT). There's also something called Tabata. Other things include: make sure your running form is efficient: do you have the correct running posture? Are you breathing correctly? Google running form and breathing for running. lots of articles on the net. As mentioned do some speedwork during your runs, look at a landmark in the distance and sprint as fast as you can. It could be a tree, one block and so on. Length is up to you and how often is up to your ability. Also do some hills. Maybe difficult when you begin but your body will get used to it. Work up to doing a sprint between 30-60 sec at maximum speed. This is hard on the body, so listen to your body. If at any time, you feel pain in your knee, rest a few days, and back down the intensity of your runs. If you're haven't started, start keeping a log of your running, so you can make adjustments as you go. You already know how to run, so no need to go back to Couch to 5K.
  • mfesloca
    mfesloca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Run more. More days per week, then more miles per day. Until you're running about 50 miles a week speed work isn't going to do you much good. But you'll be amazed at how much faster you'll get just by running more.