Friends with alternative weight loss techniques?

Options
2»

Replies

• SugarBug493
    Options
    besides, didn't you post this:
    I overate a bit this weekend and I'm the type that makes up for the excess over the next few days.
    For the next two days I will only be eating 900 calories to make up for it, before resuming my normal 1500-1600.
    What can I eat for those 900? I eat 3 meals usually with 2 snacks?
    I don't normally cheat this way so don't worry. I don't cheat often but I don't feel comfy leaving any surplus above 500 just as if it never happened. I have a very small deficit to work with as is so 1000 calories makes a BIG dent in that. =)
    I'm confused. You don't count, but that post up there was yours... showing that you do count.

Like I said. I check periodically that I don't overdo it. That happened to be a weekend where i knew i overate.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    So look, you're doing it your own way... and asking other people that use "alternative methods" to be friends? Most folks that have tried "alternative" methods have come here to find a way to use numbers to lose weight.
    the fact that you had to bump your own post twice before someone else responded may stand to reason that most folks are finding success making it about calories in VS calories out.
    I know it worked for me.
    I'd really recommend it to others, since it works. Science and all that.
    And what is "IF"?
    It's just an example I took. Intermittent fasting. Like some people who don't count but only eat once a day or something.
    I do IF. I still count.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but you might want to check your sources.

There are people who use fasting exclusively. And if that's the case, you should really tell mfp that they should rename their site. It's fooling people walking in looking for support.

that doesn't make sense. you're trying to tell me that there are people that just don't eat?

I don't... I don't get it.

I do intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast. I have a nice big lunch sometimes.. or maybe a big dinner. Then I stop.
    As long as the calorie amount is within my TDEE range, I'll maintain. If it's less over a period of time, I'll lose.

Why would MFP have to change something because you don't understand the concept of IF...?
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the no "S" diet, but am not sure that would work for me. My schedule is a bit erratic, so my diet tends to be fast, cheap, and easy. I try to pick healthy choices when possible, though. My diet ends up being as erratic as my work schedule. Calorie counting seems to be the best way to keep track of what I'm eating. The USDA's half-plate plan makes sense, but it depends on what food choices are available.

I'm willing to be friends if you want. I don't pass judgments on how other people manage their diets and fitness habits. If you ask for my opinion, I'll tell you what I think. Otherwise, I tend to leave well enough alone. Opinions are like buttholes -- everyone has one and some are full of it. Sometimes, I'm more active, and other times, I'm less active. It just depends on what's going on in my life at the time.
  • SugarBug493
    Options
    So look, you're doing it your own way... and asking other people that use "alternative methods" to be friends? Most folks that have tried "alternative" methods have come here to find a way to use numbers to lose weight.
    the fact that you had to bump your own post twice before someone else responded may stand to reason that most folks are finding success making it about calories in VS calories out.
    I know it worked for me.
    And what is "IF"?
    It's just an example I took. Intermittent fasting. Like some people who don't count but only eat once a day or something.
    I do IF. I still count.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but you might want to check your sources.
    There are people who use fasting exclusively. And if that's the case, you should really tell mfp that they should rename their site. It's fooling people walking in looking for support.
    that doesn't make sense. you're trying to tell me that there are people that just don't eat?
    I do intermittent fasting. I don't eat breakfast. I have a nice big lunch sometimes.. or maybe a big dinner. Then I stop.
    As long as the calorie amount is within my TDEE range, I'll maintain. If it's less over a period of time, I'll lose.
    Why would MFP have to change something because you don't understand the concept of IF...?

Yeah I can see it doesn't make sense for you. Because you know obviously the cavemen had a calorie counting app on their iphone on which they counted their meals they gathered/killed at the end of the day.

Also IF had nothing to do with that statement. I was talking about you assuming everyone is just here to count calories and nothing more.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Sorry counting is the only thing I have found that works.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I know it worked for me.
    And what is "IF"?
    I do IF. I still count.

Yeah I can see it doesn't make sense for you. Because you know obviously the cavemen had a calorie counting app on their iphone on which they counted their meals they gathered/killed at the end of the day.

Also IF had nothing to do with that statement. I was talking about you assuming everyone is just here to count calories and nothing more.

....so you're interested in the nutrients in your food. I get that. How are you going to know if you're getting enough protein to retain lean body mass? What about enough fats? carbs? enough calcium?

If you're not tracking, you won't know.

I spoke up because you have a very skewed idea of what intermittent fasting is... since you claimed it's just something that it isn't.

This site is just a tool. A lot of people have had a LOT of success just using it as designed... but that's just it, it's only a tool.

It IS effectively designed to figure out a simple caloric deficit in order to lose weight at a nice rate.

I'm not sure where the caveman parallel came from either... but okay. Is that an allusion to you following a Paleo diet? No? Okay. Cool.

Since this site is a food database and calculator, does it not make sense to assume that most folks would be here to use it as designed?

getting butthurt because I don't do it the way you want to do it is fine. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong. I'm just saying that this place is effectively designed to be used to do it... not the way that you are.

but if you're gonna insist, that's fine too... just don't litter the forums with information that you know absolutely nothing about.

giphy.gif
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
  • trogalicious
    Options
    And op deactivated.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I always thought counting calories would be tedious and time consuming and lame. I could do it myself. I have don all of those other diets, with rules, don't eat after 6pm, protein with every meal, protein only days, IF, shakes, pills, avoid carbs, avoid fruits.....I'm still fat.

If making rules up works for you that's great. We are all individuals and different things are going to work for different people.

But I agree with the others - the whole point of this site is to count calories. From personal experience, the alternative weight loss methods only ever made my wallet lighter....I'm still fat.