What am I doing wrong? Gained weight! See diary:

Options
Hello!

I have been on a diet since last Monday (9 days now). I was 59kgs on Monday. I weighted myself again on Wednesday and I was 58kg so I thought I was doing fine.

So... I've checked again this morning and I'm 59kg again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I walk every day and stay under my 1200kcal limit. I promise and swear I've logged everything I've eaten, even the tiniest bit of bread you eat while you cook.

This is my diary
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/911_911

any advice? I'm desperate.

Replies

• Sathyai
    Sathyai Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    9 days is not enough time, that much fluctuation is probably just water. Stop freaking out, you're in this for the long haul.
  • brocej
    brocej Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    9 days is not long enough to notice a real trend. Weight fluctuates daily based on water weight, food weight, and time of the month for women. Continue on for 30 days then weigh yourself. You will have lost weight.

Having said that, in my opinion you are not eating enough protein. I would personally change the default macro setting so that 40% of your calories are from protein.

Why?

Don't get me wrong, you won't lose weight any faster.
    However you need protein to repair muscle damage (ps you should be doing strength training if you are serious about fat loss). It also has a high thermogenic effect (meaning the body uses up calories trying to digest it) and it makes you feel full.

An example:
    - You eat 1,000 calories of carbs. Carbs have a thermogenic effect of 5-15%. So your body gets to 850-950 worth of energy to use.
    - Yo eat 1,000 calories of protein. Protein have a thermogenic effect of 20-35%. So you body gets to use 650-800 worth of energy to use.

You just burned an extra 150-200 calories by simply switching your food choices.

I'm not saying eat low carb. I'm saying make sure you get an adequate amount of protein.

But back to your original question. Assess every 30 days.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You've only been logging since Friday??
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Just because you can lose x amount of weight a week, doesn't mean you will.

9 days isn't much time at all. Water retention, hormonal fluctuations,ect could cause a slight increase in weight early on.

Don't rush it.
  • spiff1971
    spiff1971 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You should also be drinking at least 3L of water per day - you'll find it makes a huge difference - no more water retention to worry about. As said above 9 days is hardly enough time to establish a trend.

Chris
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    are u measuring with a food scale
  • SCW250
    SCW250 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day ..
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 cal a week you only want to lose 5Kg?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're 129 lbs, how tall are you?

It's been 9 days. You need more patience than 9 days.
    Yes, how tall, and how old.
    You're barely eating (according to your diary).
  • aneary1980
    Options
    According to another post the OP is 163cm.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You've only been logging since Friday??
  • ginra
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to drop another 100 calories off and try to get more exercise. Depending on your height and size. I started losing in January and it was a long process. I would still like to drop a few more pounds. I am now into a size 2 and 4. I think its the fear of gaining it back that makes me think that. When in reality I am thin enough. Just be proud of yourself for each day that you are doing this. I'm proud of you. My partner has the same problem. Yet he has lost 30 lbs. Its the first time he has s stuck to this weight loss. Everyone, including his doctor, is very happy with him.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    9 days is not enough time to decide there is a problem. So many things affect your body's weight. Sodium in your food intake, stress, sleep patterns, hormones/time of the month, starting a new fitness routine.

Set a goal for 30 days to do the following:

Log everything you consume, accurately & honestly
    Weigh all solid food on a digital food scale; use cups/spoons for liquids
    Eat at a deficit: use MFP's guidelines based on your goals
    Make an effort to move more (this is more for fitness than for weight loss)

Check your weight in 30 days.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So 5'4" and 129LBS.

OP: stop trying to lose 2LBS a week. You're at a NORMAL weight. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds, set it for .5LBS a week and EAT MORE FOOD.

Oh, and you didn't gain weight. You just didn't lose.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    163cm = about 5'4" for non metric folks.

OP, you're already in a healthy weight range so above all else, this is going to take time (like months, not days/weeks). You've only been logging since Friday and for some reason you're severly undereating. This is very dangerous!! Please be sure to eat at least 1200 calories per day. Really though, you should be setting your weekly weight loss goal to only 1/2 a pound per week and try to eat up to whatever that calorie goal is (I'm pretty sure it'll be higher than 1200).

I'm not familiar with some of those foods you're logging but I'm going to guess that they have a lot more sodium than what the MFP database shows. For instance, I know queso is cheese and that always has sodium so there's no way that listing is right. If you're eating a lot of sodium and not drinking enough water, that's going to cause water retention. Your monthly hormone cycle can be a factor as well as exercise.

Try measuring progress in other ways like how your clothing fits, body measurements, etc.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    You need diet why? As Minnie said, you're at a healthy weight...
  • aneary1980
    Options
    So 5'4" and 129LBS.

OP: stop trying to lose 2LBS a week. You're at a NORMAL weight. If you want to lose a few vanity pounds, set it for .5LBS a week and EAT MORE FOOD.

Oh, and you didn't gain weight. You just didn't lose.
    That^^^

I'm pretty surprised at how many posters are coming here with the same thing as the OP. Already thin or underweight trying to lose a bunch of weight. Did the other Web sites short down or something?

I don't think the OP is underweight or thin she is bang in the middle of the correct weight for her height losing 5kg is okay she may have a small frame etc. However the eating 1200 cals is wrong and the OP should changing her weight goal to half a pound a week.