Best use for coconut oil

Options
I just purchased coconut oil from Target yesterday. Was curious about peoples uses/results/benefits have been?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use it for my hair- make up remover- and skin conditioner.

I also use it to add to coffee- or add in place of butter (not for baking)- or olive oil. mostly sauteeing and adding fatts. Delicious.
  • bjenegiles
    bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Youtube and Pinterest!!!! I made an "Apple Pie" that used Coconut oil to make it "creamy" It was pretty good...
  • lsloper
    lsloper Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How much do you put in your hair? I'm afraid of putting too much in and making my hair greasy!

Does it add any flavor to your coffee when you use it? Or can you not tell?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I cook with it just like I would with any other oil or butter. It's just fat...its' delicious...there's no magical properties...it has the exact same 120 calories per 14 grams as any other fat (butter being slightly less). I personally use it primarily for lubing up my pan for scrambled eggs. I also use a variety of other fats for cooking...
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Tons! Check out this link: http://draxe.com/coconut-oil-uses/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    How much do you put in your hair? I'm afraid of putting too much in and making my hair greasy!

Does it add any flavor to your coffee when you use it? Or can you not tell?

well- my hair is short- not even jaw length- and I usually put in pea sized bit in my hands- rub them together and then do my hair- I don't mind if my hair is a little on the greasy looking side because it looks healthier that way- but less is definitely more- you can always add more and a little goes a long way!!!

BF dearest was giving me a back massage and didn't realize how it melted- he took a whole palmful- it was a hot mess.

it melts into a liquid- so yeah- go light at first.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    cook with it and put it in my coffee
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Lube. Just sayin'.

Seriously though, am I the only nut job who cooks with this stuff?

Nope. It's tasty on roasted potatoes and also when cooking beans. :)

As for other uses it's good on sunburn, zits, and any minor skin condition!
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

BF dearest was giving me a back massage and didn't realize how it melted- he took a whole palmful- it was a hot mess.

it melts into a liquid- so yeah- go light at first.

Yeah, it starts as a solid, ends as a stain on your new white sheets that no one really believes is "just coconut oil" :wink: :laugh:
  • lsloper
    Options
    cook with it and put it in my coffee

Does it add flavor? Or is it pretty neutral?
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    It has been a miracle treatment for my skin. I have a skin condition on my arms. Nothing helped it. But within a month of putting on my arms every night, my skin on my arms was almost completely clear, and my scars were even fading. I use it on my face as well, and it keeps my face clear. It's an oil, so you would think it would be the opposite. My only suggestion is keep it away from your eyes. It burns like crazy if you accidentally get some in. Also, make sure you get oil that's organic, unrefined, and expeller pressed. I get the spectrum naturals brand. http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Naturals-Coconut-Unrefined-liquid/dp/B000AN36I0
  • lsloper
    Options
    It has been a miracle treatment for my skin. I have a skin condition on my arms. Nothing helped it. But within a month of putting on my arms every night, my skin on my arms was almost completely clear, and my scars were even fading. I use it on my face as well, and it keeps my face clear. It's an oil, so you would think it would be the opposite. My only suggestion is keep it away from your eyes. It burns like crazy if you accidentally get some in. Also, make sure you get oil that's organic, unrefined, and expeller pressed. I get the spectrum naturals brand. http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Naturals-Coconut-Unrefined-liquid/dp/B000AN36I0

That's the one I bought! Cant wait to start using it on my face!
  • fe2o3girl
    Options
    I've used it for cooking, e.g. frying ingredients in a curry. I mostly eat it straight from the jar. :blushing:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Lube. Just sayin'.

Seriously though, am I the only nut job who cooks with this stuff?

It's not technically cooking, but I use it to make peanut butter freezer fudge! So good!!!

And. . . I also use it as a face moisturizer.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Home use: I use it to make my own body scrub with epsom salt and a few drops of essential oils. When it rinses off, the oil remains behind and my skin is nice and soft.

Cooking: I really like it for stir-frying because the light flavor compliments the stir fry more than olive oil does. Also really good for baking. A little does go a long way though if you are starting from a solid form.
  • tr3kkie9rl
    tr3kkie9rl Posts: 144 Member
    Options

As for other uses it's good on sunburn, zits, and any minor skin condition!

Be careful using it on your face. It is rather high on the comedogenic scale, so if you are prone to acne, it may not be best for you. Some people can tolerate it, others will break out worse. Of course everyone's skin responds differently, so just use with caution.

I personally use it as an overnight hair mask every week on Sunday night, and my hair is ridiculously shiny (in a good way!). It is also pretty long (almost to my waist now), and even though I use heat on it a couple times a week, I have no split ends.

I love using it as makeup remover and as lotion all over the rest of my body (I don't use on my face as moisturizer for the above-stated reasons) - it is *especially* great for rough spots like feet, elbows and knees. When we were on vacation in the Dells a couple weeks ago, I made the kids (and me) slather it on after showering every night to prevent chlorine rash because we were in the water parks pretty much from sun up to dinner time every day and no one got as much as a single red bump. I've used it on small cuts and scrapes, rashes, burns, and other minor skin ailments, and it might just be my imagination, but I think it improves healing time and reduces scarring.

It is also super delicious as chocolate fat bombs - or freezer fudge, as another poster said :) I have just started cooking with it, mostly eggs or sauteed veggies, and since I don't have a deodorized oil, I try to cover up the coconut flavor with spices and seasonings.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use it for my hair and skin. I eat it (add a little into some things on days when I need a fat/calories boost - yogurt, tea, etc.). I also cook with it. On hot days, my dog doesn't want to eat much and I entice him to eat by putting a teaspoon of melted coconut oil over his food. He loves it and it makes his coat shiny!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I just purchased coconut oil from Target yesterday. Was curious about peoples uses/results/benefits have been?

Blended in coffee, or hot chocolate..yum!

I generally use it to boost the calorie content of veggies too.

The extra fat keeps me satiated when I'm looking for a quick snack to keep me from being hungry until I can have a chance to sit down & have something to eat :wink:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yes it has flavor but when cooking, it's a neutral flavor that can easily be covered up.

In warm/hot drinks it *does* bring some flavor. In hot chocolate it tastes like Mounds candy bar, I don't taste it much in the coffee because I add butter as well.

We've always used it for hair, but if you don't have curly hair, you're going to end up with heavy, greasy hair where the strands clump together unattractively.

Unless you have really thick or coarse thirsty curly hair, you'll probably not like this as a 'styler'. It also has protein I believe, which can be a no-no for some curly-haired individuals. I won't even get into what can happen if you're hair is protein sensitive :ohwell:

It penetrates the hair shaft & is used to 'seal' in moisture because dryness is the bane of curly hair. People use it keep the hair strands moisturized to prevent unruly frizz.

It's often used as a pre-conditioning treatment where you put some warmed coconut oil in your hair, wrap with saran, then a warmed towel for about min. Then you shampoo or co-wash the excess out. I have fine wavey hair & always shampoo'd it out.

As far as using it on your skin, you can, but I don't. It can clog pores, so I don't use it on my face or around my hair line.

Also, about cooking....the smoke point is 350F so I only use it for baking at or below that temp or for a quick sautee, not for prolonged stewing which is what I do when making curries.