Help with running

Options
Does anyone have a "treadmill running routine" for first time runners. I am weightlifting, but on my days off (except one) I need to do some heavy cardio. I want to get myself running, I've never really been able to. My goal is to be capable of running at least four miles. Any ideas?

Replies

• bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Check out the C25K program. It's definitely made a runner out of this girl. Plus I've noticed a definite improvement in my lung capacity and my working heart rate is now lower.

ETA: They even have a smartphone app that counts down each interval for you as you run.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    C25K.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Why the need for "heavy cardio"?

C25K is what you're looking for.
  • pink_daisychain
    pink_daisychain Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Runners world has a good 12 week beginners plan which my friends currently doing. I started with c25k but found it a bit restrictive as i felt i could do more so only used it up to week 5 i think. But it was a good starting point!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    "Heavy Cardio"...this made me laugh actually. I've heard good things about C25K. Or just start running and see how long you can go then try again the next time and go a bit further. And for god sakes, stay off the treadmill unless you have to. Get outside and do you "heavy cardio".
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    forget the treadmill. head outside.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    forget the treadmill. head outside.

This.

Plus c25k
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Why would running four miles outside be inherently better than running four miles indoors or on a treadmill?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Why would running four miles outside be inherently better than running four miles indoors or on a treadmill?

who said it was?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

who said it was?
    Then why suggest it as opposed to just answering her question?
  • ew_david
    Options

who said it was?

Some don't know to ask. Running outside trumps a treadmill for me any day, unless it's winter.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K and I like it. Because the running intervals are pretty short in the beginning I couldn't do it on a treadmill, adjusting the speed so often was very clumsy. But you might be able to do it.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

who said it was?

Some don't know to ask. Running outside trumps a treadmill for me any day, unless it's winter.
    Ask what? Whether they can run outside?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Four miles on a treadmill would drive me insane with boredom.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Start out walking and work up to jogging/running. Go outside treadmills suck. I used to only be able to walk 3 miles in an hour now I am averaging 5 miles in an hour on the mountains of Northeast Georgia. When in a 10k I can be under an hour.

29509743.png
  • ew_david
    Options

who said it was?

Ask what? Whether they can run outside?

I'm fairly certain no one needs permission to run outside. Pretty sure you're just splitting hairs at this point.

*eyeroll*
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I would go outside and run a block, then walk a block, and repeat as many times as I could for the duration I chose. I started with as little as 8 minutes and worked my way up to 35, which I can now run the entire time. One of my biggest motivators was the Nike Run app on my phone which tells me exactly how far I ran, how long it took and how many minutes my mile was. I found myself wanting to outdo my last run every time and it has really helped keep me motivated just by being in competition with my own self! You can also find friends on it to keep you motivated and you can see what they are running too to help you gauge your own success. Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If running is "heavy cardio," what is considered "light"?

And run on whatever you gotta, even if you insist on treadmill torture. For your purposes though, I think running outside would provide more satisfaction/motivation and probably help you stick with your goal.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For me I like being outside when running. I guess if you really want to stay inside you could simulate hills (incline) and such and change up speed. I think you get a better workout with real hills and obstacles you need to move around. I just can't imagine doing the mileage I do on a treadmill.
  • dqrunsalot
    dqrunsalot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the OP needs to be around the house while her son naps or plays close by? In that case, by all means use your treadmill. I think optimally, it's more refreshing to be outdoors to do a run regardless of intensity or duration. Be cautious however, concrete and asphalt can be very unforgiving for beginning runners who may not have proper footwear and technique, so go slow and have fun whether indoors or out.