TDEE and Exercise

Options
Hey all!

I am currently doing TDEE minus 20%. My stats: 5'2, 115 and 24 years old. I am wanting to tone up and be lean.
I am currently eating 1450 cals a day and am going to start working out 3-4 times a week, burning 500 cals or so. Is this ok to end up netting 900 or so? This wouldn't be an every day thing, but I am just wondering if I should up my cals or not.

Thanks! PS feel free to look at my diary and make any comments!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Why such a rush to lose 3 pounds? That is a high deficit for such a low weight loss goal.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    if all you really want to do is tone up, then you don't need to eat at a deficit at all - just lift weights. But looking at your prior posts, it looks like people have already told you that multiple times!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No - you should be netting what MFP sets your goals to be since the site is also calculating at a deficit.

Netting 900 calories is dangerous, but then again most people know that. Not sure if this is for real, or a troll.

But either way, most people know they need to eat above that and sending your body on a rollercoaster from 900 to 1,400 calories the next day can be tough on your body.

I'd recommend finding something you can stick to, give or take 100 - 150 calories.

I'm not perfect, but I net what MFP tells me to net, give or take.

Also - eating at a deficit is for losing weight. It doesn't really sound like you want to lose you want muscle definition. Here's a trick: you cannot "tone" muscle. Muscle already has its shape, what you're actually doing is increasing the size of the muscle and then the definition starts to show. If you want to do that, then you need to lift. And if you're going to lift, eating a deficit is only going to cause issues in getting the results you're looking for.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1268795-fatigue

This OP already been answered in your last thread.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I am currently doing TDEE minus 20%. My stats: 5'2, 115 and 24 years old. I am wanting to tone up and be lean.
    I am currently eating 1450 cals a day and am going to start working out 3-4 times a week, burning 500 cals or so. Is this ok to end up netting 900 or so? This wouldn't be an every day thing, but I am just wondering if I should up my cals or not.

TDEE minus a percent will result in similar MFP numbers when you set them up the same.

With 3 pounds to lose.....your MFP goal would be 1/2 pound a week....not 2 pounds. With 3 pounds to lose, the same goes for TDEE.....it should be less than 20%.....10% at most.

That's why your net is so low.....your goal is too big.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I would be miserable if I was netting 900 calories. And starving.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "I really wanna lose three pounds" - Regina George
  • mrsroddy28
    Options
    I dont know where the three lbs came from! lol

• mrsroddy28
    Options
    thank you all for your help!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Your ticker. Also people here know what TDEE -20% means.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

It's on the ticker thing in your profile. I was reading some of your old posts. You should really talk to someone about your food obsessions. I'm definitely not a doctor, but it sounds like you may be teetering close to eating disorder land. You really don't need to cut your calories so severely.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Your tdee will then be more about 1900 calories a day instead of 1450. Also at 115 lbs, maybe not focus on losing weight, but eating a maintenance and heavy lifting. That will lean you out and help to lose inches. You have little fat to lose.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hi, OP. From looking at your prior posts, it seems you have asked this question repeatedly in various forms. You also hint at an anxiety based eating disorder ("I started on citalopram February-May of this year for anxiety(mostly related towards obsession towards food)"). I'm wondering if this repeated worrying about daily calorie intake is perhaps feeding your obsession with food. 115 lbs is a very healthy weight for someone your height.

Please talk to your doctor about this behavior and consider eating at maintenance for awhile to see if you can calm the anxiety you feel right now.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey all!

TDEE minus a percent will result in similar MFP numbers when you set them up the same.

With 3 pounds to lose.....your MFP goal would be 1/2 pound a week....not 2 pounds. With 3 pounds to lose, the same goes for TDEE.....it should be less than 20%.....10% at most.

That's why your net is so low.....your goal is too big.

This exactly

plus your TDEE calculation should account for exercise, so if you are not currently exercising and going to start then you need to recalculate your TDEE to include the new plan, and it should go up
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, OP. From looking at your prior posts, it seems you have asked this question repeatedly in various forms. You also hint at an anxiety based eating disorder ("I started on citalopram February-May of this year for anxiety(mostly related towards obsession towards food)"). I'm wondering if this repeated worrying about daily calorie intake is perhaps feeding your obsession with food. 115 lbs is a very healthy weight for someone your height.

Please talk to your doctor about this behavior and consider eating at maintenance for awhile to see if you can calm the anxiety you feel right now.

and this!