Important question for females

Options
Hi guys! Basically i want to get the bar (the contraceptive) put in, but im not to sure about it as iv read about the weight gain for people and stuff so i was just wondering have any of you had any expierences ?

Replies

• smuggle
    smuggle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    By bar I am thinking you mean the IUD? I had the one with hormones. MD assured me there was so little hormones it wouldn't impact me a bit. Put on ten of the hardest pounds to lose and then my hair started to fall out. I know some people who had great experiences with them. I prefer to have my hair.
  • emngill209
    emngill209 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the explanon that's put in your arm? My ob/gyn just told me last week that it is associated with weight gain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the explanon that's put in your arm? My ob/gyn just told me last week that it is associated with weight gain.
    ^ this AND irregular bleeding
  • missbirrell
    Options
    Most hormonal contraception has the label of weight gain as a side effect. This doesn't mean EVERYONE will gain weight when they start using it, although it is likely. However, after the body's initial reaction, you can adapt your diet and exercise to minimise the gain. Be aware too that whilst you might not gain weight, you might "wear" your weight differently - hormonal BC often leads women to be thicker around the middle/waist/stomach, just because it does.
  • LaurenV3636
    LaurenV3636 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hmm thanks guys! Yeah im talkinh about the concreptive thingy you get in your arm lol! I want to try it but om afraid due to the weight gain people talks about.. You hair started falling out?? ???? wow never heard of that
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I take an oral contraceptive pill. I gained a lot of weight, but I wouldn't blame it on the pill. Nothing I haven't been able to lose!
  • jenversuslife
    jenversuslife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had the implanon for about 15 months and then had it taken out. I don't know if the contraception itself led me to gaining weight but I was very emotional and as an emotional eater it didn't work well! I also had crazy mood swings (like saying I love you to my boyfriend one minute to throwing things at him the next) and at one point my period lasted 12 weeks non stop...

But every one is different, I know people that went on it, love it and haven't had a period since it was put in. I'm just on the pill now.
  • smuggle
    smuggle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmm thanks guys! Yeah im talkinh about the concreptive thingy you get in your arm lol! I want to try it but om afraid due to the weight gain people talks about.. You hair started falling out?? ???? wow never heard of that

Yes with the IUD. I was tolerating the weight gain, but was unwilling to be pudgy and bald. From what I saw online other women have had the same side effect from the mirena IUD.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My sister got the implanon shortly after giving birth almost four years ago and never had an issue with weight gain and never had a problem with getting the baby weight off. If anything she's smaller now than before she got pregnant. I think a lot of times when weight gain is mentioned with birth control it has to do the possible side effect of an increased appetite.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Mirena IUD - it can be a hassle to get put in and takes a few months to settle, but after it has I have enjoyed 4+ years of little to no periods.

No weight gain that I could directly link to it. :drinker:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have mirena and no weight gain. Am steadily losing.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Hmm thanks guys! Yeah im talkinh about the concreptive thingy you get in your arm lol! I want to try it but om afraid due to the weight gain people talks about..

What are you more afraid of? Gaining a couple of pounds that are easily lost or getting pregnant?

("I don't want b/c because of weight gain!" is a really stupid reason not to get on bc.)