Losing Belly Fat with a bad back...

Options
2»

Replies

• d_fedish
    Options
    [As for the water retention... how are your sodium and potassium levels?

[/quote]

I am well below my %DV of sodium daily, usually several hundred milligrams below, the potassium I am not sure. I take a vitamin to help me with that, but I am basing it off of using the app to calculate my levels, I haven't been tested.

Also, I went to a different website to find my BMR, which they said is 1349. Can you help me understand how increasing my calorie intake to net 1568 like the site suggested will help me lose weight? How can I consume more calories than I am now and not gain weight?

I am a total newbie when it comes to knowing this stuff and understanding what it means, sorry to be a pain.
  • d_fedish
    Options
    It's not just on the elliptical that my toes and feet go numb. If I stand too long or walk it will as well. I will try wearing open shoes though, anything that might work is worth trying! I've given up on the elliptical because of the numbness.

I also tried wearing a wrap on my belly to help me lose more water weight, and when I do that the sweat pours off of my midsection. Without it my skin barely even gets damp.
  • jjtyrrell31
    Options
    One other thing my trainer recommended one time - just to mix things up a bit - is to do the elliptical with a backward motion. I don't mean turn around on the machine, I just mean move your legs in the opposite direction. It takes a good amount of the pressure off your toes and works your muscles a bit differently. I find it to be much more challenging, too. I don't typically do it for long periods at a time, but it's nice to mix it up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As for the water retention... how are your sodium and potassium levels?

I am well below my %DV of sodium daily, usually several hundred milligrams below, the potassium I am not sure. I take a vitamin to help me with that, but I am basing it off of using the app to calculate my levels, I haven't been tested.

Also, I went to a different website to find my BMR, which they said is 1349. Can you help me understand how increasing my calorie intake to net 1568 like the site suggested will help me lose weight? How can I consume more calories than I am now and not gain weight?

I am a total newbie when it comes to knowing this stuff and understanding what it means, sorry to be a pain.

Your body needs fats, carbs and protein for all kinds of things... hormone production/regulation, energy production, muscle support, etc. If you don't give your body what it needs to do those things, bad things will happen. That's why people say to eat more.

The flip side is more obvious... if you eat too much you'll gain weight. If you give your body more cals than it needs, it'll store the excess. I probably don't need to explain that any further.

The trick to all this is finding that happy medium. Sure, 500 cals a day is probably bad. 5000 cals a day is probably bad too. But there's a whole lot in the middle. Where should you be? That's the million dollar question.

As a starting point, use the calculators to estimate your BMR and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - how many cals you burn in total each day). Set your daily calorie goal between those 2 numbers, hit that number for a month and see what happens. After the month is over you can tweak things if you need to.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not just on the elliptical that my toes and feet go numb. If I stand too long or walk it will as well. I will try wearing open shoes though, anything that might work is worth trying! I've given up on the elliptical because of the numbness.

I also tried wearing a wrap on my belly to help me lose more water weight, and when I do that the sweat pours off of my midsection. Without it my skin barely even gets damp.

Don't use those wraps, they are pointless and useless. Losing water weight has no purpose, you'll gain it back the second you take a drink of water. You want to lose fat, not water.
  • d_fedish
    Options
    Thank you for all of the insight! Didn't mean to sound grumpy earlier, just needed a little more advice than eat less :laugh:
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the other posts so I may repeat something. Sorry in advance if I do. I also have spinal stenosis, scolosis, two herniated disks, and a complete collapse of part of my spine. He won't even discuss surgical options with me even though I have so much difficulty moving, bending down, sleeping, etc. If that weren't enough, I have osteoarthritis in my hips bilaterally that will require quarterly steriod injections. Apparently, my doctor thinks I'm too young for any surgery at this pint. Anyway, I spin for cardio. Have you ever tried a spinning class? If you learn to set your bike up correctly, the bike is great because your spine stays straight and your hips are level. I used to love the elliptical but can't do it anymore. The elliptical causes an unevenness in your spine with the up and down motion and I always paid dearly the next day. It's not worth it. Listen to your body because you want to avoid further injury.

With a bad back, one of the main things you have to do is have a strong core. You need gentle core exercises. I would recommend going to see the PT associated with your orthopedic spine surgeon and get educated on the best types of exercises for you. For example, with my back issues, I can't do any spinal twisting, but front and side planks are great for me. The dead bug is also great! You'lll have to google it as I don't know if I can describe it. I know it would be good for you as well. The key is making sure your low spine never lefts up off the floor.

Lastly, I would recommend the pool. Sometimes to ease the pressure on my low back, I will place a pull bouy between my inner thighs. Swimming is excellent cardio as well.

Have you had any epidural spine injections? They relieve the inflammation and take pressure off the nerve, which may help with your numbness.

What I do know is that movement is key so keep it up as much as possible even if you have to take short walks several times a day.

I know how hard it is to be compromised when you want to be active. Express gratitude and give thanks for all that you can do because it could be worse. I have to remind myself of that everyday.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I have a couple compressed disks in my lumbar spinal area. I also have scoliosis. There have been times when I've had tingling in my big toe and foot, which I take as a sign to ice my back and give workouts a rest for a day or two.

Most of the time, I do spin classes, which are excellent cardio workouts and the elliptical. For me, deadlifts (with proper form) help strengthen my back. I also do some gentle yoga and some other strength training.

Have you tried a floor pilates class? You could always speak to the instructor before class begins and let her know of your injuries.

Whatever you do, don't give up. If anything causes you pain or numbness, then stop. No sense irritating the injury.
    Also, one thing that has really helped my back is stretching. If my hamstrings get tight, it will trigger back issues for me. And ice seems to help me whenever things act up as well.
    Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Are your meds making you retain water ? Or not sweat ? I was on topomax and had all that as well as the numb feet. Try 5mins on elliptical & 5mins lifting some weights . It helped me ! Good luck to you !
  • elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Whatever you do, don't give up. If anything causes you pain or numbness, then stop. No sense irritating the injury.
    Also, one thing that has really helped my back is stretching. If my hamstrings get tight, it will trigger back issues for me. And ice seems to help me whenever things act up as well.
    Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:

I was coming back to tell you to stretch your hamstrings but looks like it's been taken care of. My ortho has told me to stretch my hamstrings for two minutes each side every day. It really does make a difference.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also recommend swimming. It does wonders for strengthening your core.

Also, you might want to have your hormones and/or thyroid checked. Sometimes when your levels are off, you retain more water than normal and can cause additional swelling in the abdomen and in your joints. Magnesium/ calcium supplements can help with that as well as epsom salt baths.
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    Have you tried stair climbers. Having had three lower spinal surgeries I have some understanding of the problem of exercise and back pain. For me the stair climber isolates all the movement below the hips thereby negating any impact or movement in the spine.

If 45 minutes is to long try cutting the length of your session but make it more intense I.e. HIIT training
  • GoldFinch22
    Options
    I have the same back issue, only I had a spine fusion to correct it. My doctor always told me walking is excellent, and I also have an elliptical and experienced the same numbness at times. My suggestion to you would be do the same amount of time, but break it up throughout the day Ex: 20mins morning 20mins later in the day or however you'd like as long as it's not more then 15-20 mins all at once.
  • GoldFinch22
    Options
    A womens body needs a "minimum" of 1200 cal. daily and should never go below in order for it to function. Sometimes if a women isn't losing weight it could be because they are only eating the bare minimum and only veggies and not enough of the right combination of foods together at meal time. If a women is not losing inches could be because you're eating too much protein, or they could have a glucose issue where whatever they eat is stored as sugar instead of fuel. This can happen regardless of anyones size or weight. Just to play it safe go to your local pharmacy and purchase a glucose meter, lancets, glucose strips, and alcohol pads. Check your glucose before eating and 2 hrs after, the info packet enclosed will tell you about levels etc. But it is still always best to speak to your doctor. I know you're thinking "but I'm not fat or overweight by much" trust me glucose issues can happen even if you're thin. Chances are it looks like your not maintaining the minimum 1200 calories daily, eat at least 1400.
  • havenbaby
    havenbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't really have any great advice just keep doing what you are doing. If you are losing weight than eventually your belly will start to go away. If you are like me, I carry my extra weight in my belly and looked 6 months pregnant when I started working out. It has taken a year of consistent weight loss and exercise / monitoring my calories to really start to notice my belly going away. I literally had to burn all the fat off all the other parts of my body first and now the belly fat is FINALLY starting to disappear. It is a slow process but I just kept telling myself it has to come off there eventually and now it is...slowly bur surely!! Hang in there and keep your eye on your goal, don't get discouraged : )
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Why do these doctors refuse to consider surgery? I demanded it from my doctor for my two slipped discs. He said, Oh, you are too young, and I told him, so, that means because I'm young I should just SUFFER?