Help!!! Soda cravings are killing me!

Options
My name's Tara and I'm addicted to soda (pop, whatever.) A while back I had given it up for about 25 days and felt great. Then one thing led to another, stress levels increased and my will power declined. I'm drinking approximately 1-2 Mt. Dews daily. I start off the day thinking, "Ok, this is the day I will start again on my journey to being soda free." Then I see the vending machines at work and I give into temptation.

I haven't gained weight, but I've also hit a plateau and suspect if I gave up the soda I would be able to break through that barrier. Also, when I was soda free my skin cleared up and now I'm back to blemishes. I normally drink close to a gallon of water a day and I find that after I have that soda I have no desire to drink anything else.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get back on track? Do you have a substitute for soda or suggestions for curbing the cravings?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you gave it up once for 25 days, you can give it up again. How did you do it the first time?
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Have you tried substituting it with flavored sparkling water?
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Sparking water, flavored water, and coke zero.. I know a lot of people say no to the "diet sodas".. but others on here (who have lost 100's of pounds- say screw it: I like it, and its zero calories.)

I drink Coke Zero from time to time.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I changed everything to coke zero... it worked out well at first... but you have to keep at it!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    x2 for soda water. try a soda stream machine
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you're addicted to pop I'd just switch over to diet pop; honestly it's not going to hurt you and it has no calories when compared to the 140-150 in a regular can. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-a_b_822163.html for other things that cause your skin to break out.

Don't try switching to juice, it's just as bad as drinking pop.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I replaced all things soda with all things iced tea. Half the calories and I still feel like I'm not depriving myself of everything. Now soda just tastes gross and I instantly feel bloated and blah if I drink anything carbonated!

It's a tough habit to break, but for me, it was worth it!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I was a former Mt Dew drinker. Diet Mt Dew sucks and everyone knows it. Try Mello Yello Zero - it's pretty damn close.
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Try the lemon-lime Sparkling Ice. Its really tasty and i am pretty sure its sweetened with Splenda. I drank those to wean myself off of diet coke, and now I don't even drink the sparkling ice. i have the non-sweetened La Croix instead.

You can do this!!! :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - switch to a zero calories (or minimal calorie) soda and drink in moderation. My choice is Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper 10.

You may want to try diet mt. dew - get the flavor and avoid the calories!
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of fizzy drinks.

I switched to lime juice and soda water.

Better for your thirst, and after a while once you go back to what you used to have, it tastes shocking.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - switch to a zero calories (or minimal calorie) soda and drink in moderation. My choice is Diet Coke and Dr. Pepper 10.

You may want to try diet mt. dew - get the flavor and avoid the calories!

This! .......that dreaded word......moderation.

I don't see myself going soda free for life. So I still drink soda, just less. Logging food is figuring out priorities. If you can keep regular Mt Dew within your macros then do it. If not, find a diet soda that you can tolerate. I would rather drink a diet soda to save room for a piece of chocolate.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ZEVIA - google it. Pop with zero calories and no artificial sweeteners.

I'm reading the ingredients from the Cream Soda one I had the other day
    Carbonated Water, erythritol, natural flavours, steviol glyosides, citric acid, caramel color

Calories - 0
    Fat - 0
    Sodium - 0
    Carbs - 4g (Sugars Alcohols - 4g)
    Protein - 0

15 Flavours. You can find them at your local organic food market.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I think you first need to identity the reason you want to cut out soda. Is it simply to reduce calories (i.e., going from soda to diet soda)? or is it because you remember how much better you felt when you weren't drinking any soda (not even diet soda)...and you want to feel that way again...oh, and it may also have beneficial effect on your weight?

Assuming its the second reason, then obviously switching from regular soda to diet soda isn't going to help...in fact, there are studies suggesting diet soda is worse for you than regular soda.

I've quit soda 3 times since Jan. 2011. Each time, I recall it took roughly 10-14 days to get past the craving and caffeine withdrawal/headache. So, its going to take will power for about 2 weeks before the craving should go away. And the way to generate that will power is to think about how great you felt for those 25 days without soda...and tell yourself that you want to feel that way again. That's where the will power comes from.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think you first need to identity the reason you want to cut out soda. Is it simply to reduce calories (i.e., going from soda to diet soda)? or is it because you remember how much better you felt when you weren't drinking any soda (not even diet soda)...and you want to feel that way again...oh, and it may also have beneficial effect on your weight?

Assuming its the second reason, then obviously switching from regular soda to diet soda isn't going to help...in fact, there are studies suggesting diet soda is worse for you than regular soda.

I've quit soda 3 times since Jan. 2011. Each time, I recall it took roughly 10-14 days to get past the craving and caffeine withdrawal/headache. So, its going to take will power for about 2 weeks before the craving should go away. And the way to generate that will power is to think about how great you felt for those 25 days without soda...and tell yourself that you want to feel that way again. That's where the will power comes from.

Great post.
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm day 3 quitting soda... again. My soda of choice is Dr Pepper. I just drink tons of water. Diet just doesn't taste right to me. While maybe not the best strategy, I will have a bit of ice cream or frozen yogurt when I get to craving the sweet.
    Oh, and gotta keep some Excedrin around for those caffeine headaches for the first week.

I always 'relapse' when we go out to eat and then it's a downward spiral till I'm back to a 2liter a day. Determined not to give in to the restaurant food needs soda mentality anymore.

Good luck to ya, and friend me up if you want to kick the habit with another addict :drinker:
  • silverymoons
    silverymoons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try having a cup of sweetened green tea on your desk- whenever you feel the urge to go to the vending machines, just force yourself to take a sip of the tea first. It might help remind you of your goals and stop you from taking a trip to the vending machine...and once it becomes a habit, it won't be as hard staying away from the soda :)
  • annb150
    Options
    It's so hard I know, but hang in there. I used to drink soda daily, I have been almost soda free for a year. I did research on how bad
    soda is for the body and kept the info nearby to where I would read it often. I began by limiting myself to 2 sodas a week then
    1 soda on the weekend. One day I decided to to see how long I could go without drinking one, (again re-enforcing the knowledge
    of what it was doing to my bones, teeth etc.), and noticed it had been a long while since having one. The day I finally did it tasted too salty and nasty. Now remember I said "almost" soda free. Thats because every now and again I may take a drink (I limit to 4oz or so), mostly because my husband has occasionally brought it into the house and it's there. I won't buy it. I don't miss it.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Then I see the vending machines at work and I give into temptation.

Well right there is your problem.

Stop going to the vending machine or don't bring any money when you're walking around your office. Bring water or juice or tea to work. If you're craving a soda that bad drink seltzer water instead. I personally don't drink soda of any kind because I don't like it. Diet soda tastes fake. Regular soda is too sweet. Once in a while I'll have a root beer but I pretty much drink just water and seltzer.

Also I'm not sure why people are telling you to switch to coke zero. It's still soda. The "zero" doesn't make it NOT soda any longer

ETA: if you gave it up for 25 days once you can do it again.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    ZEVIA - google it. Pop with zero calories and no artificial sweeteners.

I'm reading the ingredients from the Cream Soda one I had the other day
    Carbonated Water, erythritol, natural flavours, steviol glyosides, citric acid, caramel color

Calories - 0
    Fat - 0
    Sodium - 0
    Carbs - 4g (Sugars Alcohols - 4g)
    Protein - 0

15 Flavours. You can find them at your local organic food market.

That is the worse drink I've ever tried. I couldn't even swallow it. I had to spit it out! Gross!

I drink diet sodas now, mostly diet Coke. It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all. I don't really care for the taste of Coke Zero.
    Don't bring money to work then you won't be able to use the vending machine.