Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I'm 54. I've maintained a decent weight for a most of my adult life. But the last decade even though my weight stayed the same my body looked different...soft, squishy, thick in the middle ewwww. I was losing lean muscle mass due to hormones and aging. I thought I was too old to make any significant changes. Wrong!! Strength training, weight lifting and body weight exercises has helped reshape my body. So the best advice I can give an 'older' woman is lift weights, heavy weights that challenge you. If you read the 'New rules of lifting for women' it has a lot of great information in there. It's never to late to look great ladies! Keep giving it your all!

50 here and this is me too.

I've actually been quite underweight all my adult life and still am, but in the past couple of years with menopause or perimenopause or whatever is going on, it looks like some of the weight slid off my face and boobs and reattached itself directly to my once-lean midsection. :mad: My little toothpick arms have batwings. :mad: And there are a few other unattractive pockets of strangely soft, squishy flesh appearing. :mad:

I've been here for a while and read all the posts raving about the benefits of weight training, so I've been giving it a go for about the past year, but finding it difficult to make any progress. I don't seem to be gaining any strength at all, especially in my upper body... all I succeed in doing is making my body feel like I've been tossed down a flight of stairs then run over by a truck day after day. But I'm persisting.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    No way! Never throw in the towel!!!! I am 47 and have lost 63 pounds in the past year and a half. I have been over weight for at least the past 10 years. I had a GI Bleed that left me horribly sick for several months late last year and was in a car accident in January that has completely left me in chronic pain 24 hours a day. I have had tough set backs and have still managed to loose the weight. It's a bit harder as I struggle to exercise and rely on minimal swimming. I'm sharing my story with you to show that anyone can do it!!!!! Be strong & believe in yourself! There is NOTHING better than when you achieve the amazing goal of health!!!! Remember these words when you look back next year and remember where your were... you will thank your lucky stars that you didn't throw in the towel! Best of luck to you!!!!!! Believe in yourself!!!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old, will soon be 46. My highest weight was 160. Goal is 120. Today I am 129. I'm only five three so this is a lot of weight loss comparatively speaking. There is no reason you can't be fabulous at 45. If you exercise, eat right, wear clothes that flatter you and generally style yourself well and go about with a good attitude, then it's yours to claim. :D
  • MadameButterfly66
    MadameButterfly66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey I am almost there, 7 to go, definitely over 20, lol, 48 to be exact, done menopause too, add me as a friend if you like!!
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Age (I'm 44), peri-menopause, an increasingly sedentary lifestyle over the last few years, and trying to continue eating like I've always eaten have led to a 20 lb weight gain over the last 2 years.

Six weeks ago, I started working with a personal trainer, upped my water intake, started juicing, cut out alcohol, and just generally started living and thinking healthier. I didn't really change my food consumption, and as a result, there's been virtually no change on the scale.

So yeah, it's harder. But it's do-able. And the scale only tells a teeny-tiny piece of the tale as you get older. For me, the benefits to my skin, my energy levels, my attitude, my fitness levels and the overall look and feel of my body are far outweighing the scale's refusal to budge.

The changes in my body have led to a change in mindset, where I finally feel ready to take on the next part of the challenge by addressing my food consumption. This past Sunday, I started honestly logging my food intake and eating much more consciously. Let's see how it goes.

I write a bit more about my journey here: http://gypsyintheme.com/blog/2014/8/29/how-i-lost-0-lbs-in-6-weeks-
    and about how hard it was to get started here: http://gypsyintheme.com/blog/2014/7/27/the-nastiest-four-letter-word-

Getting healthy is about so much more than simply losing weight. To all of you who have decided to get there, keep it up!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 65 and have a better body shape now than I have had for years.:bigsmile: I also wear a smaller size clothes for the same weight. Yes, I have squishy bits and a bit of batwing, but in general I look pretty athletic.
    Of course this takes work. A lot of work. I use gym machines and do strength training 6 days a week. The other day I do yoga.:love: Sometimes I feel I am on a life sentence :cry: , but I just get down to it and feel so happy when it is done.
    My fitness is still amazing to me. My cardio fitness surprises me regularly. I love my muscles. I have problems with my feet, ankles and knees, but they are genetic and I have found so mamy ways round that. I daily do knee and foot exercises. :happy:
    The bonus is being able to fit into lovely, fashionable clothes, although I mainly wear fitness clothes!:laugh:
    I had breast cancer 7 years ago and piled on the weight. Currently I am clear and the only legacy is the lymphodema sleeve I have to wear. Even the lymphodema is much better from losing weight.
    I spend sbout 1 hr 40 mins a day on my exercise. I am retired so I have the time. I eat around 1750 cals a day. My BMI is 23.13.
    Definitely, definitely doable and so, so worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and lost 30lb on MFP. I'm in better shape than ever in my life and definitely than most people my age and probably better than many younger. We have a crisis of obesity in this country and I am pleased not to be a part of it. I don't have any problems maintaining my current weight because I've totally changed my outlook on living.

After losing my weight and getting in shape, I trained to be a personal and group fitness trainer. I teach Zumba and yoga and I work individually with people over 62 to get them off the couch and back into an active life (realistically, into more activity than ever). I am starting to offer my personal training service to an obese teenager to change her oulook on life by changing her inlook on herself.

I just joined Match.com for the second time and this time around I am getting a lot of responses from my ad. ;-)
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread!!!
  • mars55991
    mars55991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 70 years old and in better shape than I have been in my whole adult life! You're never too old to get in shape! In 10 months I've lost around 70 lbs. A little of my weight before I joined MFP.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    114 pounds lost so far, 45 to go. I've gone from 302 to 188. I'm 58 years old. Not a success yet, but getting closer.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its alive…..
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - I have not had a chance to read all the posts yet but here I am.

47 - 3rd year of brain weird youngest enters grade 12 Sep2011 - weepy, whiney, no motivation, mood swings. 2nd year body weird - peri menopause (missed menopause by 1 month really 2xs) gained 20lbs since March 2013 - new expanded abs, arms and back. Tired, tired, cranky,

My success has not been with the scale but with activity. I had to buy a scale but have not been weighing myself consistently because of what it does to me. I do however have my favourite dress that I want to wear for my 48th birthday next spring. I have started training again for a 1/2 marathon and as of yesterday added bodyweight exercises, might as well use these bigger arms and abs :-)

This week's goal is to track my food and to eat low GI. I have really struggled with food, sleep and energy levels since April when the night sweats happened. A friend told me low GI has helped her so here goes.

I really look forward to reading your posts after my run!!!
  • River_L
    River_L Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your stories... I am feeling inspired!!!!:smile:
  • danak_71
    Options
    just turned 43 and over the last year have lost 50 lbs gained a few back but back on track to lose them and a few more. don't give up it is a definite lifestyle change that takes a lot of commitment but you can do it.
  • danak_71
    Options
    Hi ladies - I have not had a chance to read all the posts yet but here I am.

47 - 3rd year of brain weird youngest enters grade 12 Sep2011 - weepy, whiney, no motivation, mood swings. 2nd year body weird - peri menopause (missed menopause by 1 month really 2xs) gained 20lbs since March 2013 - new expanded abs, arms and back. Tired, tired, cranky,

My success has not been with the scale but with activity. I had to buy a scale but have not been weighing myself consistently because of what it does to me. I do however have my favourite dress that I want to wear for my 48th birthday next spring. I have started training again for a 1/2 marathon and as of yesterday added bodyweight exercises, might as well use these bigger arms and abs :-)

This week's goal is to track my food and to eat low GI. I have really struggled with food, sleep and energy levels since April when the night sweats happened. A friend told me low GI has helped her so here goes.

I really look forward to reading your posts after my run!!!

you are definitely a success story and an inspiration don't underestimate yourself :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm 65. Lost 22 lbs. very slowly ( which was the way I wanted it, so my skin wouldn't wrinkle too much) and am now in maintenance.
  • classypony
    classypony Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I turned 55 in July and have been using MFP since April 2nd of this year. I have lost a total of 43 lbs so far by keeping a food diary (well, except for a trip to Vegas early this month!), and getting at least 10,000 steps in each day including 2.8 miles of power walking (finally up to a 15 minute mile!). I'm a jeweler by trade so I spend my work hours sitting at a bench so I have to make myself get up and move. I've yo yo dieted in the past but since getting older I have realized that cholesterol, BP and sugar levels matter!!! Before this exercise program, my cholesterol level was dangerously high and I was pre-diabetic. All of my levels are now wonderfully normal and I feel better than I have in years....even when I was a lot younger.

I have another 42 lbs to go so I have hit the halfway mark. I keep motivated by reading these wonderful success stories - thank you so much for posting all of your wonderful pictures!
    xoxo
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread was resurrected! It is exactly what I need right now.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

Well, I'm almost 52. I lost 60 lbs at age 50 after struggling for about 15 years. I've been a marathon and ultra marathon runner and weight lifter for over 30 years. I did martial arts for 10 years. I ran marathon after marathon and worked my butt off at the gym for countless hours and finally learned you can not out exercise too many calories. I didn't think I ate too much. I didn't binge or pig out or mindlessly eat. I've eaten healthy all my life. I've never had a habit of fast food. But serving sizes are designed for 6ft men and I'm a 5'1" female so I just didn't know I ate too much. I didn't realize how small I really am until I lost the weight. Everyone said I looked strong and had big bones. Not true, I realize now.

BEFORE:
    160lbs.jpg

AFTER:
    Whitebikinicroppedatpool.jpg

Ro.jpg

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

All I can do is share what worked for me. I achieved my goal at age 50 after beating my head against the wall for 15 years. Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. I looked hefty because I worked out. Once I lost the weight I realized how small I really was and that small people don't need to eat as much as big people. HINT: If you are short you are probably small.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
    You look awesome! You are my new inspiration! Thanks for sharing!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!