The Myths of Weight loss Myths

Options
Read an article on MSN that listed the below two as Weight loss myths and explained his/her logic for it. I couldn't disagree with the author more.

http://healthyliving.msn.com/weight-loss/10-dieting-myths-you-have-to-stop-believing#1

1. Slow and steady weight loss is best
"If someone is going to lose weight on her own, she needs to take it off as quickly as possible, says Decotiis. “After you lose a significant amount of weight, you only have a certain amount of time before your metabolism readjusts and goes down. When the metabolic rate readjusts, people will get hungrier and eat and gain the weight back.”"

My take- This is not a myth, slow and steady weight loss is the best way to go about losing weight. It teaches one how to have a healthy relationship with food and losing more than 2 lbs per week consistently can be dangerous. The very idea of taking the weight off as quickly as possible sounds very unhealthy to me.

2. Calories in, calories out
"Many people subscribe to the belief that to lose one pound you must burn 3,500 calories. But if you have metabolic imbalances, you can’t find out how many calories your body can burn. Decotiis stresses that every person’s body is different, so if you’re thinking of calories in, calories out, you could wind up not losing any weight at all."

My take- The author seems to be thinking calorie counting is not effective because one cannot accurately account for exactly how much calories burnt day to day. It's true that you may not be able to 100% guess that number but when time you can get pretty close to it and still create a calorie deficit and lose weight. Not a myth, creating a calorie deficit works, don't care what diet you are on, it's all about calories in vs calories out to lose weight.

Found that article on MSN, they'll let anyone post an article now adays.

Replies

• donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I call bullpika. Why trust MSN ?
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    1.) My metabolism is fast, again, after proper exercise.
    2.) Food scale.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I call bullpika. Why trust MSN ?

After reading that article I will certainly think twice about believing anything I read there again.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I can't believe he/she is promoting that you nned to lose as much weight as you can as quickly as possible.

So many studies have shown that when you lose more than 2lbs ish per week you're more likely to rebound and gain everything back (and maybe more!)

Slow and steady weight loss will definitely provide longer lasting, more satisfying results. Plus, if you worked for it (which is what happens with slow and steady weight loss - you need to work you butt off for it) you're probably more likely to understand the determination it took so you aren't going to be chowing down on McD's 5 days a week lol

Annnnd when you work out/build muscle, your metabolism speeds up and you can burn more calories every day. This person is crazy and seriously sabtoging so many people's efforts!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with Decotiis because muscle loss as a result of fast weight loss wasn't addressed. Secondly, despite any metabolic imbalance issue a person my experience, once the issue has been corrected, it will still be CICO.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I first moved to the city I live in back in the mid 80's, I joined a weight loss clinic so that I could lose weight. Nutrition and fitness were not yet at the craze that they have become since. I joined this clinic because it was governed by the national medical association and run by registered nurses and dietitians. You would think I would be in good hands - I wasn't. In hindsight, it's amazing I didn't end up in the hospital. They put me on a 650 calorie a day diet. I lost 60 lbs. in less than 5 months. My mind, however, couldn't keep up with the changes and I didn't recognize the woman I saw in the mirror. There was a disconnect of sort which left me feeling foreign to myself. Losing weight quickly turned out not to be that good of deal after all.

When my association with them ended, the weight came back very quickly. I have since lost weight on my own over the years in a much healthier manner. Did I burn 376 calories on the treadmill last Friday? The machine says I did. Is that a reality based on my body's performance or a number based on data I entered? Who knows. I go by how my clothes fit me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I have no desire for slow and steady weight loss. It's been going OK so far.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think the first issue is different for everyone. I lost weight incredibly fast after my babies by working out hard, drinking weight loss shakes for breakfast and lunch, and being very strict on myself. I am a perfectionist so it was all or nothing for me. Once I made it to goal weight I was able to maintain it with no problem, but then again I was great at maintaining before pregnancy weights. I lost 50 pounds after my first baby and 25 pounds after my second. As far as calories in/calories out...yeah that's a no brainer. Calorie counts may not be exact but they are close enough to work if you're counting them!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    2. Calories in, calories out
    "Many people subscribe to the belief that to lose one pound you must burn 3,500 calories. But if you have metabolic imbalances, you can’t find out how many calories your body can burn. Decotiis stresses that every person’s body is different, so if you’re thinking of calories in, calories out, you could wind up not losing any weight at all."

My take- The author seems to be thinking calorie counting is not effective because...
    You may think they think that, but that's not what they said. They said that people need to remember that all bodies are different and that the math that works for one may not work for another, which is true.

If people have like 20 pounds to lose, getting it off quickly is not too hard. But if you have to lose 100 pounds, that's not coming off quickly, even if you starved it off, so patience is a virtue worth acquiring. I've read a lot from people here about their last 15 pounds and I fully intend to starve off my last 10-20 pounds if they won't budge, so I don't blame people who do it. :)
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think everything in weight loss is controversial. In my experience I've found it pretty unlikely that people ever agree on things that are fitness related. It's because we still don't completely understand the human body.
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Some of the point she made were good, but she is a doctor that is trying to push her supplements and methods to weight loss, no different then any of the other fad diets. It is all about the all mighty dollar and not the well being of the people.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think everything in weight loss is controversial. In my experience I've found it pretty unlikely that people ever agree on things that are fitness related. It's because we still don't completely understand the human body.

That's 5% of the answer. The other 95% of the "controversy" is due to fitness grifters trying to scam for $$$. It's willful obfuscation.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I saw that article and it didn't surprise me they said that stuff - because every article they publish contradicts another one they published. There is so much garbage in those articles it is sad that they post them and people will believe them. Yes there is sometimes some little bit of good information in there, but you have to get through the 95% junk they post to find it.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I read the same article and pretty much had the same thoughts.