What do you eat with salads?

Options
2»

Replies

• dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find cous cous, quinoa and beans are all filling and tasty things to add to salads.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    houmous
    tzatziki
    capers
    picled onions
    feta cheese
    anchovy fillets
    egg mayo
    baby gherkins
    red onions

all used in rotation with toms and cucumber and hard boiled eggs.

i also now use qourn and tofu.
  • trombonegds
    trombonegds Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is salad with grilled chicken, blueberries, strawberries, parmesan cheese, toasted slivered almonds, and raspberry vinaigrette. Wendy's had a salad just like it called "Berry Almond Chicken Salad", I loved it so much, I make it at home. :)

Or salad with feta cheese, roasted red bell peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar for the dressing.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    For stuff to throw on top of lettuce...:
    various cheeses - feta, shredded cheddar, parmesan
    beans - black, kidney, garbanzo
    veggies - cucumber, tomato, shredded carrots, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, corn, baby corn
    consider pickled veggies - baby corn, beets, asparagus
    fresh herbs
    hard boiled eggs
    olives - I like kalamata for the more intense taste
    croutons - yes, there are fat-free croutons that taste pretty good!
    salsa
    meats - shrimp, chicken, ham, leftover taco meat
    sliced almonds

I alternate among several dressings, and not all of them are low-fat.
    In fact, this is one place I freely spend my fat calories, because it tastes so much better.
    Caesar, ranch, french, Dorothy Lynch, Greek, balsamic vinaigrette
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I like to throw all the extra "leftover" veggies I have for the week in my salads. Several kinds of lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli (both raw), cucumbers, corn, etc. Then I add chicken, roasted almonds, sunflower/pumkin seeds, a little cheddar cheese, apples, cranberries, cut up fresh dill... lol pretty much anything. Then top with my favourite salad dressing (I make my own with apple cider vinegar, olive oil a little salt & pepper and some soy sauce and garlic powder)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What do you eat with salads?
    8oz of chicken breast is the norm for my workday lunch salad, along with 0.17cups of sunflower seeds (They have little cups intended for dressing). The rest is veggies.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Instead of having a dressing on my salad, I use Apple Cider Vinegar as it is supposed to curb your appetite. There's lots of controversy as to whether it works but I figured its worth a go!
    Just because there isn't a lot of research on it, doesn't meant it doesn't work.
    Here's where you can search for studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

While there are very few studies, and many of those are in lesser animals, I did find one saying that mice fed vinegar did show less weight gain than mice in the control group ... but they also showed liver & stomach problems.

And here's a case study talking about tooth erosion in a girl who drank a glass of cider vinegar (ICK!) every day for "weight loss".
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23373303
  • Sthere
    Sthere Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    candied walnuts, goat cheese and craisins!!! :P yum
  • Wasatcher
    Wasatcher Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Prawns sautéed in olive oil and lime or lemon juice seasoned with garlic powder, paprika, new mex chile and turmeric, served warm over a chilled salad with vinaigrette.

Cold poached salmon also works well. Blackened ahi and avocado slices too.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Whatever I have made for the rest of the family, just less of it.