anxiety and depression issues

Options
I've battle with both for most of my life mostly anxiety. I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me. my mind roams and thinks about the past and then thinks of how much it's going to suck as I lose loved ones in the future... While I do walk, I'm wondering what kind of natural ways to fight off these issues ... or should I just go ahead and realize that I might just have to live with taking medication? I've tried to set up meetings with a counselor but the ones my insurance covers give me the run around or not taking "new" clients so kind of at a dead end on that.

Replies

• LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Exercise has helped me out quite a bit with both. I have an injury right now and am definitely feeling an upswing in depression since I haven't been able to do as much. While that alone is unlikely to fix everything, it is very helpful. Good luck finding a counselor.
  • Kaishei
    Kaishei Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about it creeping back! I also deal with depression and anxiety and have for a good few years now, which I'm finally trying to get some help for via medication, which luckily is not a big problem being from the UK. I find that my best technique to deal with the depression and anxiety is friends. Talk to people, find someone you can share your fears and worries with. Find someone who won't lie to you, some one who will be honest, but won't just tell you you're being an idiot. It seems hard, I know, but as someone who's never considered themselves to have any friends, I've got a few good friends. Exercise can be a good distraction, just as medication can be great for dealing with the symptoms, but what you really have to think about is the cause behind it all. Discover that, and work to fix it, and your life /will/ improve.
  • feydevilwoman
    feydevilwoman Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There is lots of science on exercise and meditation being helpful; but it's hard when your brain is spiraling. I've started asking myself if whatever it is I'm thinking of doing will be something that I feel good about doing later. Or if will be one more thing to beat myself up over. No easy or quick answer to give; but you aren't alone in this, and finding a combination of things that help you can take time.
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies ... it does help knowing I'm not the only one dealing with these issues. while I feel good about losing weight, this feeling has popped up on me.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I've battle with both for most of my life mostly anxiety. I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me. my mind roams and thinks about the past and then thinks of how much it's going to suck as I lose loved ones in the future... While I do walk, I'm wondering what kind of natural ways to fight off these issues ... or should I just go ahead and realize that I might just have to live with taking medication? I've tried to set up meetings with a counselor but the ones my insurance covers give me the run around or not taking "new" clients so kind of at a dead end on that.

out of curiosity, how did you manage to come off of the lexapro? i have been on lexapro for about 4 or 5 years now. initially, i did not want to go on anything, but after about a month i couldn't take it any longer and allowed my psychiatrist to prescribe me meds. i definitely don't have the same anxiety/depression levels that i did at the beginning, but i still fear going off of my meds 100%.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I have taken Wellbutrin for years (okay, decades). The times I have tried to go off it, I found very quickly that I became extra critical of myself and started to spiral back into depression. I now know that I HAVE to stay on that medication if I am going to have any decent quality of life. I'm cool with it, because depression really, really sucks-- a lot more than just having to take a few pills a day. At least for me it hasn't caused any weight gain, so that helps.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of reading about magnesium deficiency, because my elderly mother is dealing with that right now, and almost everything I read states that magnesium deficiency can cause anxiety and/or depression.

You might want to get a blood test, or add either a supplement or magnesium rich foods and see if it helps.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    See your regular medical doctor for blood work to check for everything -- including hormones, vit D, B12, . . calcium, inflammation markers, magnesium, folate,
    Some people can manage without medications if they keep a very regular regime of
    exercise, meditation or focused yoga-type breathing, sleeping and eating the same time every day, sunlight (helps with sleep), . . .
    Youtube has some breathing videos.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I Pray/Prayed to overcome my anxiety episodes. Haven't had one since 2005. That's a natural way for me. :flowerforyou:
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies ... it does help knowing I'm not the only one dealing with these issues. while I feel good about losing weight, this feeling has popped up on me.

I have also been on the on-off-meds rollercoaster. It didn't work for me. My weight loss, healthy eating and active life style experience has been very positive but I have come to accept that the chemicals in my brain need to be reconciled with medication. Talking with friends, counselors etc is nice for support- but for many of us depression and anxiety is chemical and can only be remedied with medication. For me, happiness is not a choice, praying isn't going to save me and my amazing, supportive husband who I adore is a great listener - but the rain in my head was something I was just born with. The meds are there for a reason- and it's ok to take them.
    If you want to ad me as someone who walks in your shoes, please feel free. Those of us who understand should stand with each other.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I have also been on the on-off-meds rollercoaster. It didn't work for me. My weight loss, healthy eating and active life style experience has been very positive but I have come to accept that the chemicals in my brain need to be reconciled with medication. Talking with friends, counselors etc is nice for support- but for many of us depression and anxiety is chemical and can only be remedied with medication. For me, happiness is not a choice, praying isn't going to save me and my amazing, supportive husband who I adore is a great listener - but the rain in my head was something I was just born with. The meds are there for a reason- and it's ok to take them.
    If you want to ad me as someone who walks in your shoes, please feel free. Those of us who understand should stand with each other.

You hit the nail on the head, and I couldn't have said it better myself. I have a mental illness. There is a chemical imbalance in my brain that is the catalyst. I've spent many nights in prayer, begging God to heal me. I've read book after book about how "Happiness is a Choice" and "I'm too blessed to be Depressed!". I've exercised my brains out, only to end up feeling sadder and more hopeless than before. I can't judge what's helped another, and am definitely thrilled to hear when someone struggling with any mental health issues have had great successes, but trust me, you are NOT weak, or a failure if you need medication to treat anxiety, depression, or any other mental illness. If someone is diabetic, and needs Glucophage, we certainly encourage them to take their medication! And we wouldn't want them weaning off of if without a doctor's ok and supervision.

The same should go for those of us suffering with any type of mental health issue. There are lots of ways to deal with depression and anxiety. If you are able to get into therapy, that would be wonderful. Having someone to talk to is great. I've had wonderful results with therapy over the years, as well as my medication. No matter what, know, this isn't your fault, and if you have overwhelming thoughts, please talk to your doctor immediately.

We're all here to give support as best we can!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You really need to talk to someone and get your meds re-evaluated. I don't know what insurance you have but you could call them or a hospital in your area and tell them your issue with finding a counselor. They should be able to help you. :flowerforyou:
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have issues with depression and anxiety, or did. I have been on Lexapro for about 8 years. I feel great. Not looking to change anything. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Lexapro is a great. If it didn't hurt in anyway, try going back on it. Some times you just never get over it. It is a chemical imbalance in the brain.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Three words… cognitive behavioral therapy.
  • Mons40
    Mons40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too deal with anxiety and depression and my doctor is slowly taking me off the meds. I heard that yoga and meditation really helps. Along with just taking a 15 minute walk to clear your mind. I see a great counselor. If I don't do something right, he tells me like it is. LOL I like that about him, because it does motivate me. I need to lose about 60 lbs and I just started using MFP. I don't have a support system near me. So it is hard to keep on track for me. I can do really well in the beginning but then i start making the excuses.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

out of curiosity, how did you manage to come off of the lexapro? i have been on lexapro for about 4 or 5 years now. initially, i did not want to go on anything, but after about a month i couldn't take it any longer and allowed my psychiatrist to prescribe me meds. i definitely don't have the same anxiety/depression levels that i did at the beginning, but i still fear going off of my meds 100%.

When I came off of Lexapro (the withdrawal symptoms SUCK, just a heads up), I felt great for about a month and a half. Then I felt the anxiety start creeping up on me again… a lot of physical symptoms, panicking in crowded places like the mall, restaurants, even the lecture rooms I had classes in.

I gained 111 lbs within 3 years because of antidepressants so I am currently taking a very low dose of Lexapro. If anything, ask your doctor if it would be okay to lower your dose. In order to come off Lexapro completely you will have to ween yourself off gradually anyways, i.e. 40 mg ----> 30 mg for 1-2 weeks ----> 25 mg for 1-2 weeks
    > 20 mg for 1-2 weeks
    > 10 mg for 1-2 weeks
    > 5 mg for 1-2 weeks
    > No Lexapro.
  • NelsonMoore
    NelsonMoore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My fight has been mostly with depression, although anxiety has been there playing a minor role. The only thing that I have ever found that has helped is an antidepressant. It just works.

I will say that losing weight has made me feel better and getting out and exercising has also helped. I started with just a twenty minute walk per day and it really helped. I increased to forty and then ultimately to sixty minutes of walking and it has definitely helped my spirits as well.

I feel like losing weight and getting exercise are supplements to the primary treatment, which is done with a medication.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Exercise and weight loss helped me a lot with my anxiety and depression, which led me to talk to my doctor about going off of Lexapro. I was in the midst of losing a lot of weight and she said she would rather have me stay on it while I was losing weight as it is very emotional and it did mess with some levels of different vitamins in my blood. Well, that was a couple of years ago and I decided just to stay on it. Probably a good thing since I have had a couple of ups and downs over the last couple years, even on Lexapro (nothing as bad as before I started taking it). I do find that along with the exercise, journaling has helped and opening up to a couple of friends a little more than I used to. This was kind of strange because my friends already know almost everything, but I didn't talk about the negative feelings about myself...now I do. I think that has helped more than anything..
  • sarahrachel109
    Options
    I've dealt with the same type of issues although I've never been at the point where I've been able to go off meds. I've noticed exercising has helped a lot. Also just having someone in your life you can talk to when you have a bad day. I know therapy works well for some people but it never really did the trick for me. I have some amazing friends and family that have gotten me through a lot though.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression are so, so miserable. I'll never forget my struggle and never want to go back there.

I am still on an antidepressant, but the dose is small enough the doctor calls it a placebo. I am happy with the results of the 'placebo' so I stay on it. :)

However, I do occasionally have the sense that the gloom and anxiety are creeping up slowly.

The one thing that has helped with that has been an increase in really VIGOROUS exercise -- enough to get me really sweating and tired. I did steady, non-challenging cardio for years to no great benefit. But I feel fantastic with my new, more difficult exercise. I do 30 minutes six days a week and it has really helped.

A friend suggested it as it had worked for her -- and she has had a long and mighty struggle with depression.

Best wishes to you. :flowerforyou: